Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-23-2020, 07:34 AM   #1
russcc

Default Oil pressure with remote oil fllter

I realize this topic has seen a lot of recent action, but I can't seem to find an answer to my specific question. The 59L is ready to fire up, I drilled the block 3/8" NPT and plumbed for 95% oil filtration, and have a remote filter plumbed in with a 3/4-16 spin on filter, Wix 51085. Is there a .290 OD or so diameter pill of plug with .063 restricter hole in it I can insert at the inlet fitting at the oil filter. If I can't buy it somewhere, I will have to make it. I could use any OD plug or pill from .290 to .312 by drilling out the the oil filter line fitting.
russcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 08:19 AM   #2
Zeke3

Default Re: Oil pressure with remote oil fllter

I thought the idea of drilling the block for the 95% system was to use a full flow oil filter. You shouldn't use an orifice restriction fitting in a full flow system.
Zeke3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 08:25 AM   #3
glennpm

I agree with Zeke, don't restrict the flow with a small orifice for this setup.
glennpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 08:41 AM   #4
51 MERC-CT

With a 95% system you should NOT have a restriction hole anywhere in the system.
Old 09-23-2020, 08:52 AM   #5
Ronnie

All above correct. No restriction.

R
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 09:11 AM   #6
40cpe

Russ didn't say specifically that he tapped the 3/8 passage and installed a threaded plug. I would guess that he did, but it would help to know for sure.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 09:12 AM   #7
JSeery
Member Emeritus

DO NOT restrict the oil flow to the filter or you will be looking for a new engine in very short order!!! Also, you need to be sure that the whole oil filter system is filled with oil before you attempt to start the engine. The engine would be oil starved for the time period it takes to pump the oil through all of the lines and fill the filter. You need to pressure force the oil through the lines and filter and back to the engine prior to even thinking about an engine start.

A by-pass filter uses a restrictor to bleed off a portion of the oil to go through the filter and then back to the oil pan. The 95% modification passes almost all of the oil through the filter and then back to the main oil galley in the engine. Except for the small amount going to the rear main, all of the oil must pass through the filter and the passages and fitting have to have the least restriction possible to assure good oil flow.

Also be sure the in and out on the filter is connected properly! I believe it was O'Ron (a very knowledgeable and experienced engine builder) that made this mistake and trashed an engine. You really, really need to understand how the modified oil system works and double and triple check everything when using it.

During the 95% modification there should have be a block placed in the horizonal passage in the port between the oil pump and the main oil galley. This is what diverts the oil through the filter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 95 percent flow.jpg (32.1 KB, 283 views)

Last edited by JSeery; 09-23-2020 at 09:24 AM.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 09:28 AM   #8
51 MERC-CT

You obviously have a screw on filter adapter.
Make sure that the inlet and outlet ports on the adapter go to the correct ports on the engine.
Old 09-23-2020, 09:33 AM   #9
Ol' Ron

The oil hols in the block should 3/8 NPT at both the output of the pump and the return line to the engine. This system filters ALL the oil that passes through it. As Js said a grub screw is placed into the passagaway between the output and input of the pump. A word of caution is to make sure the filter is plumbd properly as oil only flows through it in one direction,'Gramps
Ol' Ron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 09:36 AM   #10
deuce_roadster

Also make SURE you don't get the hoses mixed up between where they leave and then re enter the block. I know of at least 1 engine that ran for a couple of days before locking up due to this. The filter was back by the master cylinder and the rubber hoses reversed where they hook to the block as they were routed around stuff. I use a silver sharpie and draw arrows on the rubber hoses to prevent this sort of thing. I have 5 cars running flatheads and 3 have remote filters with zero problems and easy oil changes.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote