Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-17-2020, 06:06 PM   #21
Synchro909

Default Re: Wheel interchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth View Post
Shortage of rubber, all rubber went for war effort. Not too many Jeeps and trucks with 4.75X21 tires.

They rationed gasoline not because we didn't have gas, it was to cut down on people driving and using up their tires. Most all latex came from Asia with some coming from Brazil.

Plenty of good books with interesting facts about the WWII. IMO, none of the good stuff was taught in school.
I find it amazing how the same event can be almost unrecognisable from one country to another. When an English guy arrived over here a few years back, he said something about what a wonderful leader was Churchill. He was amazed when he saw how reviled he is here. Similarly, the Boston tea party depends on who is telling it. No one doubts that the Palestinians have a different view of Israel from many other countries.
IMO, what one person considers "the good stuff" is not likely what everybody does.
Old 09-17-2020, 06:56 PM   #22
Jack Shaft
BANNED

All tires were rationed during WW2,a family was allowed five tires of any condition and had to prove an 'essential for the war effort' reason to buy new from 1941 to 1945..all tires,not just 4.75-19 or 21..so the idea you could buy new 16" tires for your converted model a is wrong,in fact, the whole WW2 excuse for 16" rims is wrong..
Jack Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 12:04 AM   #23
Ruth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Shaft View Post
All tires were rationed during WW2,a family was allowed five tires of any condition and had to prove an 'essential for the war effort' reason to buy new from 1941 to 1945..all tires,not just 4.75-19 or 21..so the idea you could buy new 16" tires for your converted model a is wrong,in fact, the whole WW2 excuse for 16" rims is wrong..
I was going to comment on your response but decided it wasn't worth it. Instead I will post a picture of some Model A rims that were cut down to use 16" tires because they were more plentiful than obsolete Model A size tires during WWII.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l300.jpg (16.9 KB, 34 views)
Old 09-18-2020, 06:01 AM   #24
Benson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
When I put 19" wheel on the back of my '28, he hubs push the hub caps off and I can't see what is causing the hub/axle to protrude further than it would on a 30-31

Service Bulletin page 328 says that B style wheels should NEVER be installed on AR hubs as they donot fit correctly and doing so is dangerous and will result in cracked wheels with possible wheel failures.

Fig 662 shows why hubcaps are being forced off by the hubs.

Similar but different problems if installing AR wheels on B hubs.

Last edited by Benson; 09-19-2020 at 10:29 PM.
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 07:23 AM   #25
Jack Shaft
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth View Post
I was going to comment on your response but decided it wasn't worth it. Instead I will post a picture of some Model A rims that were cut down to use 16" tires because they were more plentiful than obsolete Model A size tires during WWII.
Your citing false history is what's not worth it,get your facts right.Cutting down model a wheels to fit 16's? ha,a handful.KH made money selling 16" bolt ons,made thousands of them.I know its difficult,but think about how many model A's survived with stock wheels..All tires were out of production,not just A tires for consumers...that's fact.

16" tire were a popular upgrade,the car rode, stopped and handled better.Its not rocket science to understand that more tread contact provides a better driving experience

Last edited by Jack Shaft; 09-18-2020 at 07:29 AM.
Old 09-18-2020, 06:34 PM   #26
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
As has been posted here many times, Service Bulletin page 328 says that B style wheels should NEVER be installed on AR hubs as they donot fit correctly and doing so is dangerous and will result in cracked wheels with possible wheel failures.

Fig 662 shows why hubcaps are being forced off by the hubs.

Similar but different problems if installing AR wheels on B hubs.
The car does not have AR hubs. The 21" wheels are the later type.
Old 09-18-2020, 09:19 PM   #27
katy

Quote:
When an English guy arrived over here a few years back, he said something about what a wonderful leader was Churchill. He was amazed when he saw how reviled he is here.
What do the Ausies have against Churchill?
Old 09-18-2020, 09:28 PM   #28
Jack Shaft
BANNED

Gallipoli
Old 09-18-2020, 09:33 PM   #29
katy

That explains it, that was a real tragedy.

Last edited by katy; 09-19-2020 at 09:18 AM. Reason: Typo
katy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 09:44 PM   #30
Jack Shaft
BANNED

Today its hard to understand how devastating the machine gun was,Those boys on that beach found out all to well.
Old 09-19-2020, 05:35 PM   #31
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Shaft View Post
Gallipoli
No, it's not Gallipoli. Although a bit longwinded, this will explain
https://www.pacificwar.org.au/battau...Australia.html
And another
https://www.naa.gov.au/learn/learnin...ston-churchill
Churchill was prepared to leave Australia to fall to the Japanese so long as he had our troops to help defend England in an invasion that never came. A lying, betraying @$$hole!

BTW, this was after the Japanese had launched an air attack already on Darwin (in our north). Americans still seem to believe that the 1 hour and 15 minutes single wave attack on Pearl Harbour was terrible, and it was but the attack on Darwin went on for 6 weeks and they came back 69 times. This country was under extreme threat and that #$%^& betrayed us like that. We remember Churchill with revulsion and the relation between Australia and the UK has never been the same since.
When we say "We will remember them", it cuts both ways.