Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-16-2024, 05:32 PM   #21
goodcar

Default Re: OT trip to England

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1930artdeco View Post
Ok we are headed to sunny England at the end of March. Any tips from the locals as to where to go, eat, and do?

Thanks,

Mike
Lots of neat places. Imperial War Museum in London, the Cutty Sark at Naval War College, close to Greenwich Royal Observatory and Prime Meridian, Canary Wharf for restaurants and shopping. Take the train to Glasgow or a road trip to Yorkshire Hills if you want to get away from the cities. You'll be surprised and think you're in Montana. A nice smaller seaside town is Southport close to Manchester and Liverpool.
goodcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 04:48 PM   #22
David in San Antonio

I concur with the suggestion to visit the National Motoring Museum at Beaulieu (unbelievably pronounced Bewley). Last visit was many years ago so see their website to confirm, but they had the most astounding collection of land speed record cars. There’s nothing like standing next to the Seagrave aero-engine to get the scale. I believe the grounds and house were the personal property of Lord Montagu who liked collecting cars.
Also I really enjoyed skipping the rental car. I got to interact with the locals in the tubes, bought a “tea, white” (with milk) at a railway station and was addressed as “Love”, rode a rural bus decorated by the factory to look like an American land yacht with swooping chrome spears (and also a double decker bus and a black cab in London), and at Beaulieu itself, an electric tram pulled by a cable across a little viaduct to cross a pond. It looked to date from Thomas Edison days and I hope it’s still there.
Finally, buy a bunch of Kit Kat candy bars. They look the same as here but HA! They’re completely superior, much crispier, and a quality of chocolate that will spoil you forever.
Alamo A’s Club
David in San Antonio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 01-18-2024, 11:14 AM   #23
1930artdeco

Ooooh, I forgot about the chocolate! I will start getting itchier to get there as the time gets closer.
Old 01-18-2024, 04:50 PM   #24
Mulletwagon

The British Museum - Great Egyptian display and the Rosetta Stone. You are in for a great trip !!
Mulletwagon is offline   Reply With Quote