Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-09-2022, 10:07 AM   #1
CPDSarge

Default AA Platform Skid strips

Anyone know of a supplier for stainless skid strips for a 1931 AA platform bed? they are about 97 inches long. I thought there was a supplier in the Iowa area a few years back but can't find his info. Any info appreciated.
CPDSarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 10:47 AM   #2
Bob C

Default Re: AA Platform Skid strips

Check with Mar-K, they have about every size. https://www.mar-k.com/partList.aspx
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 04:34 PM   #3
RDVAARK

Hi CPDSarge,
I have seven stainless truck bed strips, undrilled, not buffed. Unfortunately, they are only 95" oal. They're 1.5 wide,with raised rolled edges, exact copies of all the other bed strips. I bought them at Hershey about thirty years ago for my 29 AA with an eight foot bed that was wide enough to need seven dividers between the planks, not original Ford bed, but nice looking and well proportioned. The worst thing is shipping for a heavy 95" package. I'm in central western Connecticut, where are you?

I just figured out Private Messaging, but still puzzling over the want ads. If you're interested,PM me.
Russ

Last edited by RDVAARK; 11-10-2022 at 01:34 PM. Reason: new information on placing and posting stuff
RDVAARK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2023, 03:37 PM   #4
CPDSarge

Hi Russ, Thanks for the reply but they would be 2" too short. JM
CPDSarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 10:15 AM   #5
RDVAARK

Hello Sarge, The bed I Had on my AA was eight feet overall, not original Ford, but the actual wood planks were set on a crossways ledge so they were flush with surface, and there was a flat area between the end of the plank and the outside, flat vertical edge of the front and rear crossmember. The end profile of the crossmember, in a word picture, was like a channel on edge with an angle iron between its upper leg and under the end of the wood. Channel like a backwards 'C', and the angle like a backwards 'L' to the left, joined at the top of the 'L" and the left upper corner of the 'C'. I agonized over this for a long time, as all of the original Ford script beds I could find were pretty beat,bent, or rusted. This pressed shape of linear steel stock 'used to be' available at truck truck body building shops for in-shop made flatbeds and shelving, but I couldn't find any at the time and considered fabbing it up from stock.
I DID find that the front crossmember of many trucks often had a manufacturer's script (I saw FORD and DODGE). Front and rear were the same and could be swapped.
I guess you just want the strips, but someone else may use the idea for a truck bed they're making. I also considered taking the rear crossmember off at the fastened (bolts or rivets) corner for straightening and body work, and shortening the sides to let me use these nice stainless strips.
11/22/23- Have a nice holiday season,
Russ
RDVAARK is offline   Reply With Quote