Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-07-2014, 07:22 PM   #1
todd3131

Default 32 cowl light question

I am still learning about 32s, should the cowl lights be on the same time as the head lights? In a model a they are not on with them,
Thanks
Todd
todd3131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 07:44 PM   #2
Kahuna

Default Re: 32 cowl light question

Nope
Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 02:25 AM   #3
tiger.1000

That's an interesting comment. Here in the UK cowl lights or "sidelights" as we refer to them are always on with the headlights. I wonder why old American cars were designed in such a manner that when the headlights were turned on that the sidelights went out? Does that feature apply to ALL old American cars ?

Does anyone have a clear explanation for that? My 32 B Cabriolet does not have cowl lights in the true sense of the word; i.e.mounted on the "cowl" but sidelights mounted on the wings (fenders).

Being a UK car they stay on when the headlights are on.
tiger.1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 05:37 AM   #4
PeteVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger.1000 View Post
I wonder why old American cars were designed in such a manner that when the headlights were turned on that the sidelights went out? Does that feature apply to ALL old American cars ?
YES! As a child, the parking lights always went out when the headlights came on. They didn't start staying on until the mid sixties when safety became the rage. I don't know the exact year that that happened, but my '63 Ch___ has the parking lights to out when the headlights go on.
Old 09-08-2014, 07:16 AM   #5
todd3131

Thanks now I have to figure out why .
Todd
todd3131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 08:30 AM   #6
DavidG

Pete,

With respect, I believe that your '63 brand X was not unique with regard to the parking lights going out when the head lamps are turned on. Today's running lights confuse the issue somewhat, but generally speaking parking lamps are only just that, for minimal illumination when the vehicle is parked and are not used in conjunction with the headlamps, both now and yesteryear.

As an sidelight to this thread, it was the general practice in Argentina and Brazil until the late 1970s to use only the parking lamps when driving in cities and suburbs. This led to lots of unfortunate accidents and pedestrian casualties and to a certain amount of road rage if you drove with your head lights on (like I did). It explains why even the "standard" models came equipped with cowl lamps (and fender lamps after the '34 model year) on vehicles sold in those countries (and perhaps others), including trucks. It was in Brazil that I first encountered '32 cowl lamps with painted steel bodies instead of stainless steel bodies; they were on trucks.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 12:59 PM   #7
supereal

With the arrival of LEDs, many new cars now look like a theatre marquee with strings of them, front & back. I don't know if they enhance safety. I have a bright LED bar on the back of my '47, and some clown rear ended me, anyway.
supereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 05:40 PM   #8
Andy

I guess my wiring switch is wrong. My cowl lights come on when the switch is in park, low and high beam. I like it that way.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 05:58 PM   #9
CarlG

On all my Model A's with Cowl Lights (2), I purposely wired them to stay on with the headlights. My Fordor was in the '50's, the Pickup is current.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 06:23 PM   #10
PeteVS

The change (in USA, anyway) to have the parking lights stay on when the head lights came on was to enable to better see a car if one of the headlights was out. Previously, if say the left headlight was burned out, a driver approaching might assume that the one lighted vehicle was a motorcycle and misjudge his position, resulting in a possible crash. If the parking lights stayed on with the headlights, an oncoming driver would realize that it was a car with a headlight out and drive appropriately, avoiding a collision. IMHO.

David: I wasn't implying that my '63 was unique. All American cars up to at least that time were wired that way.

PS: What gets my goat today is that turn signals are so close to the headlights that under certain conditions, they can't be seen clearly if the headlights are on. If they were separated from the headlights by a foot or so, they are much more visible. Once again, IMHO.
Old 09-09-2014, 01:15 AM   #11
scooder

Pete, I'm with you on the turn signal so close to the headlights, oftentimes you can't see it till it's on top of you! Damn irritating,
Martin.
scooder is offline   Reply With Quote