Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-04-2022, 09:17 PM   #21
Rodrelic

Default Re: Engine Stand Adapter

I wasn’t comfortable until I held it from both sides. I like the stability, going to make at least 1 more maybe a little more refined
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5ACC07A7-6C66-4BA5-9F5F-18ED5A4D335F.jpg (43.9 KB, 117 views)
Rodrelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 12:32 PM   #22
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexiskai View Post
What diameter is the pipe on the common adapter?
Colin, generally they are 2.375" (-or 2⅜") but the tubing sizes on the Chinese-made stands are all over the place, but around 62MM seems popular (-which is slightly larger than 2⅜").

The bigger issue that we don't like about the imported stands is they are built for a 'vertically-challenged' person to work on an engine. Taller folks like me and yourself generally have an aching back after an hour or so of working on one of those short stands. That is why we built our own stands. We still have a couple of the imported stands with the Model-A adapters however we have built much taller (-and more robust) stands.

We also did away with the positioning pin and made our own locking system so the flexibility is much greater in our opinion. Also, while it doesn't show in the pictures, we have a sheetmetal tray that fits onto the stand to catch dripping fluids during teardown.

One thing that I am unsure whether to promote or not, is we did away with the two arms and are solely using the area around the water inlet to support everything. We probably have been them that way on both bigger stands for about 2+ years now and I am guessing that between the two stands, they have seen about 30-40 full rebuilds on them. As of writing this, we have not experienced any breakage or damage in the inlet area only using that area to support an engine. I am not sure what others experiences will be, so I am leery to suggest that for others, but it has been suitable for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmodelt View Post
The ones they have been selling, should have been made so you can get a wrench on the cap nut easier and more room to turn the wrench. It is kinda tight to get in there.
I agree Mark, and while it isn't perfect, I think one of the pictures below shows how much clearance there is. It does work for us though. Maybe we could use a smaller mount next to the plate and increase the size closer to the axis tube?? Thoughts??

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9557.jpg (90.5 KB, 129 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9558.jpg (76.4 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9559.jpg (88.4 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9560.jpg (66.7 KB, 133 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9561.jpg (67.0 KB, 132 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9562.jpg (93.5 KB, 123 views)

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 01:17 PM   #23
katy

I put a worm drive gear reduction on my engine stand to make it easier for my bad back to turn:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Engine stand helper.jpg (57.1 KB, 67 views)
Old 01-05-2022, 02:15 PM   #24
Benson

Brent,

"That stand is TOP SHELF" !! (An excellent engine stand)

Last edited by Benson; 01-08-2022 at 08:53 PM.
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 02:37 PM   #25
alexiskai

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
One thing that I am unsure whether to promote or not, is we did away with the two arms and are solely using the area around the water inlet to support everything. We probably have been them that way on both bigger stands for about 2+ years now and I am guessing that between the two stands, they have seen about 30-40 full rebuilds on them. As of writing this, we have not experienced any breakage or damage in the inlet area only using that area to support an engine. I am not sure what others experiences will be, so I am leery to suggest that for others, but it has been suitable for us.
For comparison, the threads in each individual head stud are subject to 5-10,000 lbs of tensive force when the engine is running at WOT, so hanging a 500 lb engine off two bolts of identical size (7/16-14) to those studs seems pretty safe.
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 07:19 AM   #26
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexiskai View Post
For comparison, the threads in each individual head stud are subject to 5-10,000 lbs of tensive force when the engine is running at WOT, so hanging a 500 lb engine off two bolts of identical size (7/16-14) to those studs seems pretty safe.
Colin, it really is not the stud that is potentially the issue, I think it is the casting.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 07:59 AM   #27
Rodrelic

I like the U piece that catches the pan as well as the side, I have a 29 to take apart now, so will try that, thanks
Rodrelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 05:36 PM   #28
31 RPU

Here is a store bought one I pulled out to take a photo of. I haven’t used it yet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2CF05748-0237-4437-8BE3-3DD71BFB2264.jpg (60.3 KB, 28 views)
31 RPU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 06:10 PM   #29
Oldgearz

Doing my 8N tractors I mount from the back end like Bob Bidonde says. Then hang engine from mobile crane to work on clutch housing, flywheel, etc. Works for me and seems pretty easy. It's great to have the perfect tool but not always possible for many of us I suppose.
Oldgearz is offline   Reply With Quote