Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-09-2021, 08:18 PM   #1
Nasukau

Default Replacement Running Board Bolt Bracket

Hi All,
Does someone make a replacement bolt attachment(not sure of correct name) that is on the bottom of the running board where the bolt slides into to secure the running board to the running board bracket? Or is this something I just need to fabricate myself?

Thank you,
Denny
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B94AA5AB-B878-4E4B-A346-97856873EE96.jpg (97.5 KB, 67 views)
Nasukau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 10:36 PM   #2
Mike Peters

Default Re: Replacement Running Board Bolt Bracket

I looked in the catalogs, and nothing. You could carefully remove your old brackets , take them to a sheet metal shop to bend up some duplicates, then just drill out the bolt holes yourself to match the old brackets.
Mike Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 02:26 PM   #3
john charlton

You would have thought these would be a hot seller as many originals are damaged or rotted out along with the running board section above them . I have a conspiracy theory that if they were not available you would buy the complete running board . My local model A parts supplier did carry these a while ago but I think are now discontinued but luckily I bought a bunch but still have some left .

John in same place same weather Suffolk County England .
john charlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 02:58 PM   #4
McMimmcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peters View Post
I looked in the catalogs, and nothing. You could carefully remove your old brackets , take them to a sheet metal shop to bend up some duplicates, then just drill out the bolt holes yourself to match the old brackets.
Good thinking on your part. An ingenious mind.
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 04:37 PM   #5
wrndln

The bracket doesn't look bad at all to me. I have repaired much worse items. I would blast the bracket to see where the spot welds are. Mark the exact location before you remove it. Then take a Dremmel or RotoZip with a carbide burr cutter and grind out the spot welds just through the damaged bracket, not the runningboard. Once the bracket is removed, blast it on the inside and outside to get it clean up for welding and get it back in shape with a hammer on an anvil or vice, then with a MIG welder with gas, weld the cracks up on the inside. I use copper pipe, flattened as a heat sink and to prevent the weld from "blowing" through. I don't think you even need to "dress" down the weld much on the inside, as it is on the inside and can't be seen. Dress the welds if the welds protrude on the outside with a file or Dremmel or RotoZip (my favorite tool to dress down welds). Then when the bracket is repaired, place it back exactly where you marked where it was and then through the holes you ground in it to remove it, do Rosette welds to reattach the bracket. Not that hard, if you can weld. Done.
Rusty Nelson
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 05:04 PM   #6
J Franklin

Sometimes with items like that I reinforce the hole with a washer welded on. If it isn't seen it really works great.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 09:41 AM   #7
Greg Jones

I called Brookville a few months back to see if they would sell me just the reproduction brackets for the 1930 running boards, and they did. Go to their web site, find an email address to contact them, send your picture and specify EXACTLY what you want. Brookville was very helpful and sold me this bracket, and other running board parts too. Your brackets look like 28-29 so I don't know if they also have those, but I bet they do.

As noted above, you can always fabricate the part, too, but I thought this was the most expeditious route and the bracket from Brookville fits perfectly and was reasonably priced.
Greg Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 10:08 AM   #8
Nasukau

Thanks everyone for the responses and advice.

Denny
Nasukau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 10:12 AM   #9
Dean Lemoine

You might try looking on “for sale” or posting on “wanted”. I bought 4 reproduction ones about a year ago. They fit perfectly
Dean Lemoine is offline   Reply With Quote