Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-06-2020, 07:31 PM   #1
frank long island

Default 66 mustang

got the car home hasnt been registered since 76 2 owner car showing 34000 on odometer original paint and pinstripe problem is they got caught a few to many times with top down in the rain car has flintstone floors torque boxes front frame rails aprons makes my ranchero look like a gem if you've looked at my profile pics i will post pics soon i have some work ahead of me i have a chance to get a 66 fairlane gt good for parts will any of this work for mustang
frank long island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 08:21 PM   #2
craig

Default Re: 66 mustang

The 66 Fairlane is a larger body than a 66 Mustang. The good news is there are a lot of Mustang reproduction parts available
craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 08:45 AM   #3
Ford blue blood

What he said! You can build a new Mustang from the ground up with all the stuff available! Someone can correct me if I'm in error....I believe the only panels not available are the roof panels.

2016 F-150
2016 Focus
08 Shelby GT500
57 Ford Ranchero
36 Chevy, 351C/FMX, 8", Mustang II
Ford blue blood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 09:54 AM   #4
flatrod

complete new bodies are available. If you really have major rust, this may be a option.

http://www.dynacornclassicbodies.com...g-convertible/

If you are doing the rust repair yourself, you may be able to beat that price. If you have to pay someone, a lot of the time parts and labor can exceed new costs.
65 and 66 bodies are pretty much the same, but there are some not so obvious differences mostly in the floor pan.
flatrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 10:11 AM   #5
rotorwrench

Mustangs didn't have torque boxes yet in 66 but they can be installed if you have to rebuild the floor. Mustang stuff is closer to the Falcon than the Fairlane and a V8 engine package is definitely a plus. The light duty 6-cylinder package is weak. There are plenty of old mustangs around but be specific about V8 package parts. Many are the same but there are some that are different.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 10:48 AM   #6
flatrod

I believe all year mustang convertibles have the torque boxes. It was part of the floor stiffing as well as inner and out rocker boxes and heavy structure where the seats go, both above and below the floor pan.
flatrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 01:47 PM   #7
5851a

Convertibles did have torque boxes, What parts from Fairlane GT were you planning on re using? The FE engine doesn't fit into pre 67 Mustangs without a lot of work. It didn't fit in the Fairlane that well. Just curious, lots of small mechanical parts will swap over but most of the parts are going to be over 50 years old. You may be able to sell some of the specific GT Fairlane parts though.
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 07:25 PM   #8
frank long island

was thinking of the motor 289 rear and front end and do a 5 lug swap i know body is different and yes i am doing this myself last big job im doing i had a car like this in high school didnt know what i had wish i still had it im not sure of the year i know it has the headlights stacked on top of each other i know its later then 64 only saw it briefly most likely going to fold when loaded onto rollback
Old 11-07-2020, 07:51 PM   #9
rotorwrench

I should have been more specific. Yes the convertibles did have torque boxes, but a person won't find them used since most convertible cars are flintstone mobiles and the others have a plain floor. Torque boxes from a 67/68 will work for replacement metal parts during floor replacement if you need them. A person can rebuild the floor for a lot less than price of a new body and many times only the wells are rusted out. Whole floor pans are available but even they come with the the other panels to finish them so that's a lot of extra work. I just replace what I have to. Many times the new steel is not quite the same gauge so I like to keep as much original as possible. The six to V8 swap is not such a bad thing but you need rear and front end components. The body is not different on a convertible. It can take a V8 but I'd stick with a small block.

Ford had good steel back in the day but it's just too bad that they didn't do a better job of rust proofing it. I'm surprised they let it set outside so much with that low a mileage. If only it would have been a garage queen. C'est la vie.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 06:22 AM   #10
KULTULZ

Post Re: 66 mustang

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank long island View Post

was thinking of the motor 289 rear and front end and do a 5 lug swap i know body is different and yes i am doing this myself last big job im doing i had a car like this in high school didnt know what i had wish i still had it im not sure of the year i know it has the headlights stacked on top of each other

i know its later then 64 only saw it briefly most likely going to fold when loaded onto rollback
If changing from a 6-cyl to 8-cyl front end, you will need the front end components from the FAIRLANE (control arms - spindle - hub - etc). You will have to source 8-cyl steering components. Research fully.

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

WONDERING IN W(BY GOD)V ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 06:27 AM   #11
KULTULZ

Thumbs up Re: 66 mustang

Repro torque boxes are available -

http://www.mustangandfords.com/proje...ang-torque-box

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

WONDERING IN W(BY GOD)V ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 09:23 AM   #12
5851a

When you said it was a GT Fairlane I automatically thought it was a FE engine car, all 66 GT's were 390's, 67 could be small block. I have been known to be wrong, just ask my other half.
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 07:38 AM   #13
Gene F

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatrod View Post
complete new bodies are available. If you really have major rust, this may be a option.

http://www.dynacornclassicbodies.com...g-convertible/

If you are doing the rust repair yourself, you may be able to beat that price. If you have to pay someone, a lot of the time parts and labor can exceed new costs.
65 and 66 bodies are pretty much the same, but there are some not so obvious differences mostly in the floor pan.

To be honest, with that amount of rust a new body may be the best option if you intend to hold the car a long time. Welding and fitting are time consuming tasks. The issue with buying a new body for most of us is getting the thing from the factory into your garage.

Buy a body. Get a home equity loan or something. Payments = enjoyment. At least then you will have something more than parts on 4 wheels. Besides, you can get the thing driveable and ready for pain in 3 - 5 months. Any paint shop would love the project on mostly virgin metal.

I had a 67 coupe, and rust is the worst part of owning a Mustang. I loved mine, but RUST!...
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 04:42 PM   #14
frank long island

today i gutted the dash and firewall original heater hoses ductwork for defrosters along with cardboard outlets are perfect along with diverter for heat/defrost cowl is solid no rot so im thinking 34000 may be true