Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-03-2020, 01:36 PM   #1
fred93

Default 29 Tudor front rubber mat fitting question

I purchased a new front rubber mat from Bratton's and I have some questions as to how I am going to get it to fit properly into the car.

I temporarily installed the mat into the car. The first thing that I noticed was that the mat did not move forward enough to have the holes in the mat match up to the floor mat snap studs.

The mat fits tightly against the transmission shift tower so there is no way to move the mat forward.

So my main question is : Do I trim the trans tower hole in the mat or do I get a big crowbar and move the engine/trans forward???

Any help is appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg snap holes.jpg (66.6 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg Gary mat photo labeled.jpg (65.4 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg front mat labeled.jpg (75.2 KB, 73 views)
Old 05-03-2020, 04:10 PM   #2
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Default Re: 29 Tudor front rubber mat fitting question

Well that sucks! I would send it back and tell them to send you one that fits correctly. You should not have to cut anything if those things were made correctly in the first place.

At least you got mat studs in your car...my February 1929 Tudor has none what so ever anywhere and do not think it ever did.

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 05:27 PM   #3
Bob C

Move the body forward.
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 02:26 PM   #4
Bill G

My front mat had exactly the same issues. The problem was both the hole for the shift tower and the E-brake handle. I got mine from Snyders, so I suspect Snyders and Brattons must source them from the same place. I carefully used a straight razor blade and elongated both the shifter and the e-brake holes. It fits better, but still not exact. I don't know what to suspect the issue is. My car has had the engine and transmission out three times since I owned the car. But, there just isn't anything that would have that much variability in putting the engine + tranny back in. A second thing could be that I have Float a motor mounts. Still, the front mount is the original style and if the FAMs were off, then the front would not fit well, so it can't be the FAMs causing the problem. I guess I have to go with (c) which is that the manufacturer of the mat is off a skosh.

I agree with Pluck, we shouldn't have to do this, but isn't it kind of common with just about any repop part?

It's now the 25th and your original post was 5/3, did you "adjust" accordingly? another part of the mat that is off on mine is around the steering column and pedal plates.
Bill G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 09:56 AM   #5
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Bill,

Are you saying that if you were to use original rear motor mounts that the front of the engine would not fit well even with the original front motor mount??

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 10:57 AM   #6
Bill G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Plucker View Post
Bill,

Are you saying that if you were to use original rear motor mounts that the front of the engine would not fit well even with the original front motor mount??

Pluck
No, just saying that I don't think the FAM's is causing my floor mat to not fit exactly. I think it is more the mat not being cut right.
Bill G is offline   Reply With Quote