Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-21-2015, 11:42 AM   #1
Jim M

Default Great day- violent shake gone!

First of all I want to thank EVERYONE for all your input and suggestions with special thanks to Purdy and Bruce. I was getting depressed and for a fleeting moment thought of selling the car and go back to model airplanes....lol!

The culprit was the front brake floaters. I believe they will prove to be a good investment in the long run but their installation instructions SUCK! Finally from a quote Bruce put in one of his posts I was able to find a very detailed and complete set of instructions from the Winter 07 Model A Times. I studied them and reread them probably 50 times. Then yesterday in the shop with a fresh pot of coffee I followed their process step by step. Low and behold there was a lot of grinding that took place but finally everything started to move smoothly and make sense. I chuckled at Bruce's comment "can do this now in my sleep - blindfolded" as I felt the same way. But the end result was the first test drive was successful and the shakes have gone away. Need to do some more adjusting, driving, adjusting but the good thing is the "survivor" lives another day (hopefully me too....lol)!

Now I'm on to radiator and carb issues. When I come back from the test runs there is always small rivlets or drips coming from the bottom of the radiator shell. Funny thing is radiator does not leak when car is just sitting. I was reading the radiator section in the Les Andrews book and noticed a "baffle" that is supposed to be around the overflow tube. I do not have one and I don't see any listed in the vendors catalogs. Is this something that is homemade or comes with new radiators? Could this possible be my problem??

Thanks again for all your help. What a wonderful resource for knowledge but most of all encouragement! Jim Moody
Jim M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 12:03 PM   #2
Brentwood Bob

Default Re: Great day- violent shake gone!

The baffle would come from a donor radiator tank, or fabbed by your expert radiator shop.
Bob
Brentwood Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 01:16 PM   #3
rscardina

My radiator is missing the baffle also. I was losing antifreeze through my overflow when driving. I do not have any leaks either. I tried Bill's nail in the overflow trick to no avail. I ended up installing a thermostat in the upper hose. I clamped it down at the head end of the hose and I used a small piece of hose to extend the overflow up to the bottom of the cap inside of the radiator. My radiator now maintains the proper level of antifreeze. I think the thermostat did the trick.
rscardina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 01:48 PM   #4
bunnyc

My next project will be the front brakes. I'm doing the rears now. Considering Snyder's front floater kit, A-2052-F. Is this the same kit you are referring to in your post? If so, I sure would appreciate a link to the installation instructions you reference.
Thanks,
BunnyC
bunnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 02:12 PM   #5
Jim M

Hi, I got my kit from Mike's in Georgia but from what saw in looking at them they all look the same. Here is the link for the article.
http://www.flatheadted.com/images/st...winter2007.pdf

That should work. If not send me a PM and I will copy mine - they have some grease on them but still readable. Wait till you see what a difference!
Jim M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 03:29 PM   #6
bunnyc

Thanks. The link works.
bunnyc is offline   Reply With Quote