Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-28-2020, 02:41 AM   #1
ford nut

Default 36 running board question. . . .

i'm taking the running boards off my coupe and it has some strange thin plastic liner between the frame and running board. is there a suitable replacement people have used? i don't think this had ever been apart before and it looked like clear plastic or whatever they had back in the day. what have you guys used? thanks.

Last edited by ford nut; 10-28-2020 at 04:11 PM.
ford nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 06:47 AM   #2
JM 35 Sedan

Default Re: 36 running board question. . . .

The original '35/'36 Ford's that I've taken apart had fender welting at both ends of the running boards where they bolt to front and rear fenders, and also where boards bolt to frame.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 12:03 PM   #3
TJ

I'm with John on this one . Use fender welt between the board and the frame.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 01:41 PM   #4
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan View Post
The original '35/'36 Ford's that I've taken apart had fender welting at both ends of the running boards where they bolt to front and rear fenders, and also where boards bolt to frame.
John, I'm hoping Don Rogers weighs in here...
I can't imagine any reason there would be welt (anti-squeak material) between the fender(s) and running board(s).
Methinks the "original" cars you'd taken apart were perhaps not quite as "original" as you had thought.
Don? Where are you Guru of all things '35 / '36?
I'm curious and always willing to learn.
Old 10-28-2020, 02:29 PM   #5
DavidG

I believe that Don will confirm that originally there was no fender welting on the board ends or against the frame. As for the clear plastic, I'm fairly sure that it did not esist in 1936.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 04:06 PM   #6
JM 35 Sedan

I'll see if I took pictures of those areas as this bone stock/original 35 standard tudor slantback sedan came apart in the early 80's. I bought this car from the original owner, and also got his original title. This car had definitely never been taken apart before I got it. The material looked exactly like the welting used between the fenders and frame/body, except it appears the bead had been trimmed off. I may still have that material, as I saved everything, and I mean everything, that came off of this car.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
Old 10-28-2020, 04:10 PM   #7
Don Rogers

My findings have been that there is no beading between 35 and 36 passenger car running boards (rubber covered) and front and rear fenders. However, I have found evidence of welting between the running boars and the side railings. This might be because of the metal to metal contact between the frame and running board edges and mounting braces.
Please see my crude nots that I took while dissembling my 1935 unmolested conv. sedan.

As a side note: There is welting between running boards and fenders on pickups and panel deliveries because there running boards are painted metal (no rubber).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bolts13.jpg (33.5 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg Running Board to Fender Attachment.jpg (17.7 KB, 30 views)
Don Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 04:23 PM   #8
Kube

Don, Thanks for the clarification. What you say makes perfect sense.

I know 1939 / 40 passenger cars had a welt between the frame and running board. There was none between the running board and a fender.
Old 10-28-2020, 04:26 PM   #9
ford nut

i'm going to see if i still have i piece of this clear strip that was still there in places. welting trimmed or not seems redundant for the ends as the rubber from the running boards would stop squeaking too. the welting i just bought has a fabric backer to it that i thought might hold in moisture, so i didn't want that. but there was something that was installed between the frame and back edge of the running board. clear, crackly, kind of what you might see cookies wrapped in. when i saw it, i thought "this is some strange stuff" like cellophane. it came off in pieces. broke up easily.
Old 10-28-2020, 04:49 PM   #10
DavidG

I stand corrected on the running board-to-frame beaded welting; thanks, Don.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 07:29 AM   #11
JM 35 Sedan

Don, thank you so much for chiming in on this post to provide clarification, plus providing pictures of your great sketch details. I've always highly respected your final word on these 35 - 36 Early Ford V-8's! It's very possible that I was mistaken about fender welting being located between the ends of running boards and fenders, but I was positive there was welting between running boards and frame on two of my 35 tudor sedans that were original cars that definitely had never been taken apart prior to me purchasing them from their original owners. Now I'm very curious to get out in the garage to check my '35 fordor sedan, .to see where its fender welting is located.

What would your thoughts be for adding this type of information on fender welting to the EFV-8 Club's '35-'36 Ford Book?

Old 10-29-2020, 07:39 AM   #12
ford nut

i got some pieces from under the car that had fallen off, i'll post pics tomorrow. it looks like very thin tar paper or what some would call builder's paper. none of the cellophane type stuff was there, but when i flip the car around to work on the other side i'll keep track of it.
Old 10-29-2020, 09:00 AM   #13
Don Rogers

John, So noted. We just did a 4th printing of the book a few months back. So these notes will have to wait till the 5th printing, if that ever happens.

Don
Old 10-29-2020, 09:42 AM   #14
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Rogers View Post
John, So noted. We just did a 4th printing of the book a few months back. So these notes will have to wait till the 5th printing, if that ever happens.

Don
Don, I'll be purchasing a copy of that 4th printing and hoping someday we will see a 5th printing that includes information on locations of fender welting and maybe even the differences between '35 vs '36 above windshield header panels that we had once discussed. I come across folks trying to use 35 header panels in 36's and vice versa. Plus I have two different variations of the 35 header panels that no one else seemed to know about.

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 10-29-2020 at 12:53 PM. Reason: Adding more details on header panels.
Old 10-29-2020, 10:20 AM   #15
Don Rogers

John, Be sure to request the 4th printing when you order. They still have a few copies of the 3rd printing to sell. Regarding lengthy additional topics for the 35-36 Book: They would require a major reconstruction of the book or at least an addendum or Vol II.

Don
Old 10-29-2020, 07:06 PM   #16
ford nut

sorry to interrupt, here are the pics i said i would post, looks / feels like building paper to me, but why use that, very thin. in post #1 i asked if anyone has found a suitable replacement for this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01920.jpg (36.9 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01921.jpg (44.0 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01922.jpg (35.9 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01923.jpg (35.8 KB, 27 views)
Old 10-29-2020, 09:48 PM   #17
Don Rogers

Ford Nut, Your photos look like fender welting to me. 3rd Generation Automotive (Michael Driskell) should have original style fender welting.