Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-04-2012, 08:55 PM   #41
Ross in East Texas

Send a message via AIM to Ross in East Texas
Default Re: How Many Know The History Of their V8 Since New ?

I purchased my '39 Standard Coupe from the original owner when she entered a nursing home in 1965. I have owned this car since. The original V8 carried the same serial number that appears on the frame and transmission and has been overhauled 3 times and has been bored .020" over.
Old 02-04-2012, 09:33 PM   #42
denverslim

I bought my '49 F-2 a little over seven years ago from the 86 year old man that bought it new. He worked as a "water master" most of his life, driving up and down the back roads of the rural county opening, closing, and monitoring water flow in the irrigation ditches. This old Ford was his "baby" until they both gave it up--him in his late seventys, the truck with 65,000 miles on the odometer. He remembered ordering the truck with the factory radio back in the day--"they thought I was crazy wanting a radio in a work truck", causing a delay of another week in him taking possession.
I've pretty much had to go through all the mechanicals--engine, trannie, brakes, etc, leaving the body with it's 60 years of wrinkles. Should be good for another 65 and 60...slim

denverslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 11:11 PM   #43
Rand

I bought my 50 Mercury in 1981 from an old guy who inherited it from his uncle who bought it new when he stuck oil on his farm in Illinois
Randy
Rand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 06:53 AM   #44
48-710

1963 was the year, when I was 11 yo lad, that dad and I picked up my '35 Roadster from Mrs Ethel Black. The Blacks farm was about 90 miles south of us.She brought the car new and it was first registered on the 30th of October 1935. You can imagine the excitement for me travelling down in the ute,with dad, to pick MY first car. Dad didn't say what the body style was just that" we were going to pick up an 'ol Henry". I really, really wanted a coupe so it was a bit of a "let down" when the shed door was opened and there sat a Roadster.
It was 100% complete down to the jack and tool kit. I was told that the rego ran out so they used it around the farm to tow wheat bins, amongst other things,around the paddocks. The reason that it sat in the shed was with all the abuse the clutch cried enough and it was retired. It was little wonder the clutch fell out of it because the hitch that was welded to every part of the frame and rear bumper that was possible. Man that hitch could have pulled a Mack truck it was that big. Being young I had to hot rod it didn't I ? but I didn't cut anything,I must have known something. I'm now in the process of a body off restoration,which is of course,is taking way longer and costing a lot more than I thought.
Through a chance phone call at work,last year, I have been able to get in contact with the Blacks only child,Jean. I phoned her she told me that she learnt to drive in the Ford,as she calls it,and that I should do something with the brakes and steering. Jean also told me that the original rego papers were in a box in her garage. I had a pleasant suprise in the mail several days later. She had sent me the original papers plus a photo of her and her proud father standing next to a black 1935 Ford roadster circa 1938.
48-710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 07:30 AM   #45
Mountaindoc

My 49 F1 was bought new by a World War I (one) veteran. He was a farmer in Tennessee. He passed on and his nephew inherited it and drove it for years. He found out he was sick in 91, parked it, and died in 92. It was parked in a barn across a small road from his house. His widow didn't allow anybody to touch it until she died about 4 years ago. She liked looking at it from her kitchen window. Their daughter sold it to me 2 summers ago. She had tears in her eyes. I honestly tried to talk her out of it. But she was satisfied when I told her that I was just gonna get it running and enjoy it without changing anything.
Mountaindoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 08:01 AM   #46
cuzncletus

My 39 DeLuxe tudor came from North Georgia where it was supposedly a moonshine car, as supposedly was every other black 39-40 Ford I've ever seen from the Appalachians. It was sold sometime in the early 60's to a man in North Alabama who hotrodded it. When I got it the car still had the white tuck and roll from the era. It also came with a spare trans as evidently the trans suffered at the hands of the hotrodder. Certainly the engine did, as it was blown and removed. A man in South Georgia bought the car in the mid-70's, almost immediately sold it to a man around Hilliard, Fla. who built a 46 engine for it and drove it around for a couple of years. The South Georgia man bought it back, then soon thereafter sold it to another man in the same town. Then the car sat, undriven since 1978 and with the same trans in the trunk as when found in North Alabama. I bought it two years ago. It's in the paint shop now and the car is coming along nicely as a resto-rod; dropped axle, built 50 engine, 5 speed, all original paint and trim.

In the past I had an original 427 1964 Mercury, a very rare car. I had the original title in the owner's name, plus mileage. It has appeared in a couple of magazines and the high dollar auctions since leaving my hands. Surprisingly, the origin of the car has changed, as has the story of it's original owners. Better yet, the mileage has dropped to half what it had when I used to drive it. And someone thinks they're buying a car with provenance when they bid on this car.........
cuzncletus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 10:29 AM   #47
Bruno

I do since it was my wife's family purchased it new - a '52 Ford F1 - black - mostly sat on the farm all week and was used to take eggs into town on Sat. and do the shopping. I got it in 1998 when I retired - it had been sitting in a barn on their farm property - only 61K actual miles - no rust. They started it up "occasionally" and ran it up and down the country roads. Barn critters had eaten up the upholstery, headliner, wiring insultation, etc. I trailered it over to Little Rock since it had no brakes (brake fluid had jellied) and went to work on it - a GREAT old pickup!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scan0001.jpg (87.0 KB, 9 views)
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 10:41 AM   #48
JP58854

I wish I did !
JP58854 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 11:25 AM   #49
Cecil/WV

I have 3 stories. The first '50 Custom tudor was built in Norfolk on Aug. 23 and was sold to a Mr. Gains in Martinsburg, WV by Lamar Sloan Ford in Winchester, Va. He bought a new '64 Fairlane and sold it to Calvin Bayer who gave it to his 3 sons to drive to high school and I got it in 1966 with a rod through the block. I gave it to my son in 1980 when he graduated from High school, thus it still sits in my garage.

I got the second '50 from George Messenger in Takoma Park, Md. It was built in Dearborn on Aug 3 and sold by the local dealer to a lady who in turn sold it to her brother, a Mr Holton, who was a ministerial student who in turn, sold it to George in 1955 when he finished college. I bought the car from George in 1998 with 64000 miles after it had set since 1972 with a tooth off the cluster. I have driven it to 10 EFV8 Nat meets since 2004, receiving a Rouge at each meet and losing a piston in Oct. 2010 in Abilene, Ks on the way home from St George, Ut.

I have a '59 Custom 300 that I purchased 1980. I got it from a "little old lady", Neva McCauly, who only drove it one mile each way to work until she retired. She got it from her brother in 1963. It now shows 27000 miles.
Cecil/WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 08:32 PM   #50
APDAVE

I bought my 50 Mercury in 1977 from the original owner this lady on Detroits east side still own it today!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CARS 042.jpg (21.3 KB, 32 views)
APDAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 07:22 AM   #51
Vic Piano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Henry View Post
Send email to: research[email protected] They do not accept phone calls.
When I contacted the Henry Ford (several years ago) they did accept phone calls, don't know what their policy is now. Vic
Old 02-06-2012, 10:09 AM   #52
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Henry View Post
Send email to: research[email protected] They do not accept phone calls.
As any of you who have tried to get build sheets may know, in 1970 there was a fire that destroyed a lot of archives, including the build sheet for my '47 Ford. Here is the list of what they still have and instructions how to get it:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf PROD RECORD RANGE.pdf (128.5 KB, 25 views)
Old 02-06-2012, 10:11 AM   #53
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Piano View Post
When I contacted the Henry Ford (several years ago) they did accept phone calls, don't know what their policy is now. Vic
I called recently and got a recording that gave the email address and that they don't accept phone calls.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:43 AM   #54
FL&WVMIKE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 48-710 View Post
1963 was the year, when I was 11 yo lad, that dad and I picked up my '35 Roadster from Mrs Ethel Black. The Blacks farm was about 90 miles south of us.She brought the car new and it was first registered on the 30th of October 1935. You can imagine the excitement for me travelling down in the ute,with dad, to pick MY first car. Dad didn't say what the body style was just that" we were going to pick up an 'ol Henry". I really, really wanted a coupe so it was a bit of a "let down" when the shed door was opened and there sat a Roadster.
It was 100% complete down to the jack and tool kit. I was told that the rego ran out so they used it around the farm to tow wheat bins, amongst other things,around the paddocks. The reason that it sat in the shed was with all the abuse the clutch cried enough and it was retired. It was little wonder the clutch fell out of it because the hitch that was welded to every part of the frame and rear bumper that was possible. Man that hitch could have pulled a Mack truck it was that big. Being young I had to hot rod it didn't I ? but I didn't cut anything,I must have known something. I'm now in the process of a body off restoration,which is of course,is taking way longer and costing a lot more than I thought.
Through a chance phone call at work,last year, I have been able to get in contact with the Blacks only child,Jean. I phoned her she told me that she learnt to drive in the Ford,as she calls it,and that I should do something with the brakes and steering. Jean also told me that the original rego papers were in a box in her garage. I had a pleasant suprise in the mail several days later. She had sent me the original papers plus a photo of her and her proud father standing next to a black 1935 Ford roadster circa 1938.
48-710 .............................
How about posting that original photo of your car, from 1938. We all enjoy seeing these cars in their original state.
MIKE
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 12:06 PM   #55
Tim Ayers

Not a V8, but my '28 roadster was bought new in '28 from a Ford dealer in Cherry Hill, NJ. The original owner took it off the road in 1940. Completely disassembled it and stored it in a barn until the 2000. I bought it from the son of the original owner.

Came with the original '28 NJ title and the dealers envelope. It has the purchase price written in pencil on the back.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 09:12 PM   #56
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

My Father ordered my '48 tudor for me in 1947...he paid for it with his back pay for serving as a lieutenant in the USMC 1943-1946, and ordered it via the car ordering service designed for State Department Foreign Service officers stationed abroad. His new job in the FS had him stationed in Nanking (and other places as the civil war progressed) towards the end of Chiang and the rise of Mao.
Car was built at Edgewater (Ford export headquarters, despite being on wrong coast for China delivery) with metric speedo and export tool kit 11-11-1947, eventually uncrated at Shanghai Ford.
I rode the backseat all over Europe and the Eastern US, now it is in my garage.
I came home from the Hospital in Nanking in that car and it figures in most of my childhood memories, me and the dog peering over the backseat and watching the world appear from the ruins of WWII.
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:37 PM   #57
FL&WVMIKE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Ayers View Post
Not a V8, but my '28 roadster was bought new in '28 from a Ford dealer in Cherry Hill, NJ. The original owner took it off the road in 1940. Completely disassembled it and stored it in a barn until the 2000. I bought it from the son of the original owner.

Came with the original '28 NJ title and the dealers envelope. It has the purchase price written in pencil on the back.
TIM AYERS ..........................
This same thread is running on the Model "A" Forum. I'm sure they would enjoy reading about your "A", over there too !
MIKE
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 12:41 AM   #58
quickchange34

I have owen my 34 roadster for alot of years. It was built at Long Beach Cal. A school teacher and she husband purchased the car new in the summer of 34. They had the dealer install a ash tray radio and a Columbia rear. They got the car from the dealer and drove it to their summer home in Wis. They only use it in the summers when she was not teaching school. It stayed in Wis untill their death in 1969. Their son did not want the car and sold it to a man that lived in North Carolina. He did not used the car and keep it stored untill I purchased it .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 34 calender 001.jpg (122.1 KB, 25 views)
quickchange34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 07:31 AM   #59
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL&WVMIKE View Post
TIM AYERS ..........................
This same thread is running on the Model "A" Forum. I'm sure they would enjoy reading about your "A", over there too !
MIKE

Thanks. I'll post it up there as well. I rarely check those threads. I appreciate the heads up.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:31 AM   #60
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickchange34 View Post
I have owen my 34 roadster for alot of years. It was built at Long Beach Cal. A school teacher and she husband purchased the car new in the summer of 34. They had the dealer install a ash tray radio and a Columbia rear. They got the car from the dealer and drove it to their summer home in Wis. They only use it in the summers when she was not teaching school. It stayed in Wis untill their death in 1969. Their son did not want the car and sold it to a man that lived in North Carolina. He did not used the car and keep it stored untill I purchased it .

Man, that is a beauty! Is that the original paint?