Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-27-2015, 07:31 PM   #1
jimbo53

Angry over drive problem

need some ideas why my overdrive will only go into overdrive two to four times then will not go in until the next day working on a 1953
have a good working solenoid any thoughts
jimbo53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 07:54 PM   #2
40 Deluxe

Default Re: over drive problem

Does it work better at the beginning of a drive, before components have warmed up? If so, could be solenoid failing when hot. Or could be the governor points need to be cleaned. Does it fail after you have floored the gas pedal? If so, could be the kickdown switch is sticking (and eventually pops back up). Or the relay could fail intermittently. Or loose connection somewhere.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 08:04 PM   #3
Blu Dice

Is it still 6 volt - has it been rewired? Do you have a Blue Bible?
Old 06-28-2015, 03:43 AM   #4
scooder

It sounds electrical,
I'd start by checking all connections for tight and clean. All the electric parts can be tested on the bench by applying power or incase of the governor use a continuity test from its terminal to its body, lightly hold the pilot on the end of the gear with a chuck in a drill motor (variable speed type), hold the body in one hand and spin the gear pilot with the drill. Should be open circuit when stationery and as you speed up the drill it should go closer circuit. As you slow down it should go open circuit. There are contact points inside that may need cleaning. Solenoid contacts get mucky and oily if there's even a tiny leak into the solenoid case, make sure the drain hole is open in the case.
Not sure a 53 would have a lockout switch.
Kickdown switch, and relay also need checking over. The relay has its own fuse on the side if I recall correctly (never seen a 53 one) check the relay and fuse for tight and clean connections, not forgetting the parts that the fuse clips into.
I'm sure you'll find the issue, just go through methodically. Ie, not in the order I've typed here, (I type as it comes into my head) simple stuff first.
Be sure to report back,
Martin.
scooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 03:44 AM   #5
scooder

Forgot, cut in speed should be circa 26-28 mph.
Martin.
scooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 06:50 AM   #6
Blu Dice

Scooder is dead on - if the car is still 6 volt and if any of the OD wiring has been replaced - it must be 30 amp rated or there won't be enough power to operate the solenoid. Also grounds must be very good at all areas of the car. Are you still on a generator - how's the output?
Good luck.
Old 06-28-2015, 08:25 AM   #7
40cpe

If your amp gauge shows a discharge when it should be engaged and is not, it is an indication that the circuit is working and delivering power to the solenoid. There could be one or more of several problems: loose connections, bad grounds, bad battery, bad solenoid, etc.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 09:26 AM   #8
Cecil/WV

I would suspect the solenoid. I have a few solenoids that work great on the bench and also on the car until sometimes after many miles in the heat they won't work until they cool down. The relay can act the same way. One time, I put a small truck clearance light under the edge of my dash and ran a wire to the terminal that goes to the solenoid, then I could see if the relay was sending power to the solenoid or not.
Cecil/WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 04:26 PM   #9
donald1950

make sure the wire that feed the relay has a good sourse and not hooked to the coil (like mine was when i got the car) i ran a 12 ga wire from the battery (wireing diagram shows it feeding from the ACC post on the igynition switch) with an inline 30 amp fuse to the power screw on teh relay, then run a 12 ga wire from the relay to the solonoid. anything smaller will get hot and resistance will restrict current flow.

with it wired to the coil, it would drop into overdrive then start missing due to the voltage drop. it was a fun one to figure out....
donald1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 06:14 PM   #10
JT FORD

40 CPE I sent you an e-mail.
JT FORD is offline   Reply With Quote