Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-13-2015, 02:30 AM   #1
Ian NZ

Default Military Ford V8 Maniflod

Where the carburetor bolts on this manifold it looks as if it bolts on with six studs. Was there any six stud carburetors made to fit these inlet manifolds for a Bren carrier which has the fittings to fit a large generator.
I wonder if there was a six stud flange fitting that bolted on and then the normal three bolt carburettor was bolted onto this flange.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ford V8 Large generator manifold.jpg (84.4 KB, 280 views)
Ian NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 03:47 AM   #2
Brian

Default Re: Military Ford V8 Maniflod

There is a 4 bolt Solex that will bolt onto that intake, which will also accept the more common 3 bolt Holley. Perhaps it was made 'dual purpose' as an aid to service in the field. Guesswork on my part.
Old 06-13-2015, 03:52 AM   #3
Mart

I wonder if it was made so the carb could be fitted backwards for some oddball installation?

Purely guessing.
Mart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 04:43 AM   #4
GEOFFNZ

I had one of those manifolds and as stated I think it was to put the carb on either way.I'm pretty sure some of the gun tractors ran the motor pointing towards the back so maybe they were used in that sort of application.Geoff
GEOFFNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 12:10 PM   #5
B-O-B

I was not paying attention in class that day. As usual heh heh he I do think GEOFFNZ has it tho . Draw the triangle & see if the 3 holes line up either way
B-O-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 11:58 AM   #6
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Canadian wartime engines used 3-bolt Ford carbs but had the extra metal at rear corners of carb flange like yours. I'm pretty sure this was for interchangeability with some British wartime flatheads the used Solex four bolt setup. Yours has just been drilled for both applications, with an extra hole tossed in for backwards use!
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 02:00 PM   #7
scicala

It also looks like the throttle bores are a lot larger than a passenger car or light truck. That makes me think it is industrial, military or large truck.
Was the larger Lincoln flathead V8 used for trucks or industrial ? Can't see the need for larger throttle bores otherwise.

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 02:26 PM   #8
scicala

This is my guess of what it came from. Just a guess.

Sal

https://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt...yfp-t-316&fp=1
Old 06-22-2015, 03:20 PM   #9
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

It is from a pre-1949 Ford V8.
Old 06-23-2015, 12:03 AM   #10
Ian NZ

I have since found out that manifold which I have sold, is for a Military carrier, and it holds a large 12 volt generator for a Radio set up on the carrier, and the long bolt in the front is for the fan extension. When you place the normal V8 Carburetor on the manifold it lines up the three bolts perfectly and if you turn the carburetor 180d (back the front) the carb lines up again perfectly with the three other bolt holes, so it must have been made at least for two different version on applications of the V8 engines for military use.
Ian NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 04:24 AM   #11
Bluebell

The Canadian built 3 types of military chassis for various applications that were rear engined. I'm not yet sure if that was a reason to reverse the way the carb was mounted, but there were issues with fan wash playing havoc with float levels. The 42 engine came with a later carb spec with an internal vent to prevent this.
I bought the manifold from Ian for my British (Dagenham) Ford built Armoured O.P. (observation post) (bren) carrier.
Bluebell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 09:03 AM   #12
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

One of the rear engine chassis is simply the normal truck turned around, with engine in back for use in a South African armoured car. I think I have a manual on that, will try to find it and see if carb is illustrated. Model 21-29 1942 carb as noted above closed up the little oval vent on side of bowl brace near center, and added the inside vent tube used thereafter on later carbs too.
Does your carrier use the British '37 type motor?? At least some of those used a one-barrel carb atop an adapter to normal Ford manifold. Was said adaptor 4 bolt at bottom??
Old 06-23-2015, 09:46 AM   #13
scicala

I'll take another guess and say this manifold was used with the 3 bolt Holley mounted standard or backwards and also the Holley 885 4 bolt two barrel carb with governor on F7 and F8 heavy trucks on the 337 Lincoln flathead V8. I know they used the 337 on the heavy Ford trucks from '49 to '51.

Sal
Old 06-23-2015, 05:13 PM   #14
Bassman/NZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Lancaster View Post
One of the rear engine chassis is simply the normal truck turned around, with engine in back for use in a South African armoured car. I think I have a manual on that, will try to find it and see if carb is illustrated. Model 21-29 1942 carb as noted above closed up the little oval vent on side of bowl brace near center, and added the inside vent tube used thereafter on later carbs too.
Does your carrier use the British '37 type motor?? At least some of those used a one-barrel carb atop an adapter to normal Ford manifold. Was said adaptor 4 bolt at bottom??
I'm pretty sure the bren gun carriers here had 37 engines. At least the three or four I have seen did. Also I have a friend who has a truck engine with an enormous generator on it, nearly twice the size of a regular genie, and it's obviously original.
Bassman/NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 08:11 PM   #15
Mike in Mass

allrightty ! you have my interest ! photos ? ? please ? ? anything with a wartime V8 is the BALLS !
Mike in Mass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 12:35 AM   #16
GEOFFNZ

I wonder if by turning the carb around and with the float chamber pointing the other way there was more room to mount a large generator.There were rear engine gun tractors here which were converted into forestry fire appliances and fitted with and extra V8 motor and pump.I think the transfer box reversed the direction of output drive because the engine pointed backwards. Geoff
GEOFFNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 12:45 AM   #17
Graeme / New Zealand

Quote:
Bruce I never stop being amazed on your knowledge of all things V8, from the smallest trivia to things V8 beyond the US

Thanks for posting

GB

"You're a long time looking at the lid"
Graeme / New Zealand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 09:22 AM   #18
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

British built carriers I think all got the British 1937 type 221 engines, the only big flathead manufactured there...it stayed in production after the war even.
Canadian built ones used 24 stud engines, I think starting with 1939 type and changing to 1942 type during the war...same as German Ford! Canada used the 239 size, but I don't know if that was used on all of them.
I have a maintenance manual around here somewhere for an Australian built one, which had a 239 engine. Presumably the works came from Canada and the armoured box was welded up in Australia. I think USA engines were also fed into the Canadian stream. Everyone seems to have added features to keep everything with all the national variants interchangeable.
At various times during the war, large numbers of Ford based vehicles changed hands in both directions between Germans and British, and of course the Fords were much more useful than most captured stuff because everyone had the spare parts needed. Good economical way to run a war...
The Germans had an interesting crossbreed Ford, the Maultier/Mule half track truck. They had to build as many tracked vehicles as possible once they hit Russian mud, and these things look to me to be a fairly normal German Ford 1940 type truck with the rear axle replaced by a track assembly that seems almost identical to Bren carrier.
Old 06-24-2015, 09:26 AM   #19
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

Also...I looked over an 11A military manifold, and it is drilled and tapped for the brake fitting I mentioned AND has the boss needed to put the PCV in back like the engine shown above. My flying guess on all the extra bosses and holes is that maybe the big CMP trucks used the brake booster (forgot to look in that manual!) and so put the PCV in front using the Southwind type carb plate, and carriers that didn't have power brakes used the brake port with rear PCV...all guesswork here. Anyway, the 11A aluminum manifold has plentiful bosses and holes so that it can be machined to replace any earlier manifold.
Old 06-26-2015, 01:26 PM   #20
Graeme / New Zealand

Quote:
British built carriers I think all got the British 1937 type 221 engines, the only big flathead manufactured there...it stayed in production after the war even.
Canadian built ones used 24 stud engines, I think starting with 1939 type and changing to 1942 type during the war...same as German Ford! Canada used the 239 size, but I don't know if that was used on all of them.
I have a maintenance manual around here somewhere for an Australian built one, which had a 239 engine. Presumably the works came from Canada and the armoured box was welded up in Australia. I think USA engines were also fed into the Canadian stream. Everyone seems to have added features to keep everything with all the national variants interchangeable.
At various times during the war, large numbers of Ford based vehicles changed hands in both directions between Germans and British, and of course the Fords were much more useful than most captured stuff because everyone had the spare parts needed. Good economical way to run a war...
The Germans had an interesting crossbreed Ford, the Maultier/Mule half track truck. They had to build as many tracked vehicles as possible once they hit Russian mud, and these things look to me to be a fairly normal German Ford 1940 type truck with the rear axle replaced by a track assembly that seems almost identical to Bren carrier.
That is interesting. I always wondered why the late 40's early 50's Pilots had the 37 221 with the firing order on the heads...... now I know.

thanks

GB

"You're a long time looking at the lid"
Graeme / New Zealand is offline   Reply With Quote