Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-26-2015, 04:34 PM   #21
Bluebell

Default Re: Military Ford V8 Maniflod

Bruce in one of your posts you asked did carriers have a four bolt carb mount face on the manifold. No they were all three bolt.
The Brits used a Solex (RZNIP) single barrel carb with an adapter to the std manifold.
The Canadian Universal carrier used also a single barrel Zenith carb with an integral governor, This carb also used an adapter to bolt it to a standard 3 bolt manifold.
The Loyd carriers used several different builds of engine but i think most used a smaller two barrel solex straight onto the std manifold.(these are rear engined carriers)
All the above carbs were governed.
The Australian designed carriers (LP2 and LP2A) (New Zealand built these as well)all used Fords commercially supplied to barrel carbs to the std Ford Manifolds.
Prior to WWII the British built carriers used the British built engines and Canadian engines (both with 18mm plugs) and also American built engines (14mm plugs)
Carrier types were built with a number designation (example: "Carrier Bren, No2 MkI".
The No.2 being powered y an 85hp engine, a No.1 being powered by a British 60hp engine and a No.3 being powered by a 95 Hp engine.

The above is a general guide there were many specific variations.

The Canadian carriers (identified by a "*" eg. MkI*) were mostly 85hp (Canadian engine version CO1UC.....) and later 95 hp engines (also Canadian design)

The manifold from Ian I suspect was originally made for one of those Canadian rear engined armoured car chassis which by the way were some what special (Hydraulic throttle, Gear box on its side etc)
I plan to use it because I have a very large 12volt generator that fits on it.
It seems to me that the British when they built my Armoured O.P. Carrier used this generator and manifold because the manifold is fitted with a special mounting for the carrier (specific) fan extention.

Why it has six bolt holes which allow the carb to be reversed, I have yet to be satisfied about.
Bluebell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 04:10 AM   #22
Bluebell

The Manifold has the part number prefix "C29SR"
I am told this is from a Canadian Lynx MkII Armoured car.
Old 06-29-2015, 07:36 AM   #23
scooder

Sal, the big 337 Lincoln is an entirely different beast, everything is different including inlet manifold.
Bruce, there was a four bolt carb used in the late war years, it's a back draft like the Holley 885, it is however a different thing, has a bunch of bolts around the lid, which I think wad a skinny lid rather than the sided cover like the 885. I think it was made by Holley.
Also the Canadian built carriers also came with 221 cube 24 stud engines, some with the tin can sleves, I have one in my pile. This one was also PCV equipped and had a blanking plate brazed on to close the stand pipe in the valley.
Martin.
scooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 09:37 AM   #24
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

Endless variations! The Lynx was a compact armored car, sort of a Ford based variant on the Daimler based Dingo. The manual I have showing the rear engine CMP chassis is about a different beast built in South Africa, which must have been about twice as large as a Lynx. The chassis picture I have is small, but it looks like they essentially just moved normal axles and stuff around on a CMP chassis to use if backwards. No idea what the body looked like...probably a boiler-plate nightmare.
The service manual I have for an Australian built carrier calls for a 239.
For a slightly off-topic strange variant...I recently picked up a service manual for a post-war (somewhere around 1949-50) carrier on the assumption that it must be a continuation of the wartime type...
It turned out to be a somewhat larger vehicle with general similarity to a WWII Carrier, but primarily intended to be a gun tractor. Flathead powered...but, to my surprise, the flathead was a Cadillac turning a hydramatic! This thing was built around a Cad engine that was already out of production, so I assume it was based on some leftover WWII stockpile of engines built for M5 tanks.
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 01:26 PM   #25
Bluebell

Bruce, the Lynx was entirely built by Ford of Canada.
Your carrier (book) sounds interesting.
Old 06-29-2015, 01:47 PM   #26
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

Yes, I know it was Canadian, it was a way of building a Dingo equivalent from much more available parts and building it over here without shipping parts around. I think it is sort of the sports car of armored vehicles!
I'll dig up the postwar manual to get the nomenclature of that rig...I had never heard of the thing before, though there were probably a few of them running around Hamburg when I was a child there in the early '50's!
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 05:02 PM   #27
scicala

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooder View Post
Sal, the big 337 Lincoln is an entirely different beast, everything is different including inlet manifold.
Bruce, there was a four bolt carb used in the late war years, it's a back draft like the Holley 885, it is however a different thing, has a bunch of bolts around the lid, which I think wad a skinny lid rather than the sided cover like the 885. I think it was made by Holley.
Also the Canadian built carriers also came with 221 cube 24 stud engines, some with the tin can sleves, I have one in my pile. This one was also PCV equipped and had a blanking plate brazed on to close the stand pipe in the valley.
Martin.

Martin,

I thought it may have been for the Lincoln 337 because I know they used that engine from '49 to '51 in heavy F7 and F8 trucks. I thought maybe it was similar in design to flathead Fords, but maybe longer, and hard to tell apart unless side by side. The people here are experts compared to me on flatheads. I'm trying to learn. When I was a mechanic in the Army, I did work on some 5 ton trucks that had the big Holley (back draft) with the flat aluminum lid and governor, but they were on inline OHV engines.

Now....., if it were a later Y-Block, then I would know a lot more.

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote