Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-17-2019, 09:11 AM   #1
Skierdad

Default Model A Rims

Hello everyone. First time post so my apologies if I am posting in the wrong area. My father in law sold his 1929 Model A Roadster a few years back and then recently passed away. I was going through his shop at the farm and found 2 rims of which I believe are from a Model A. They are spoked and very solid (heavy).

I would like to sell them but have no idea where to even start. They are not rusted but appear to have been painted. I suspect they have been sitting in the corner of his shop for more than 30 years.

Any help in giving me an idea of price would be greatly appreciated.
Skierdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 09:34 AM   #2
Charlie Stephens

Default Re: Model A Rims

Welcome to fordbarn. Start by putting your general location in your profile and your may get a private message from someone interested in buying them. Take some pictures and put a for sale ad on this site (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8). The pictures should show the spokes (sometimes they are bent) and the lug nut holes. Also contact your l local Model A club and explain the situation and that you would appreciate it if they would put an ad in their newsletter. What are they worth? Without any more information my guess would be between nothing and $75 each.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 09:55 AM   #3
Joe K

Rims appear normally in two sizes - 21" (1928,29) and 19" (1930,31) Measure across where you think the "bead-seat" is found and you can determine which this is.

Additionally, the 21" have a slightly smaller "hole" for the hub-cap than the later 19" But you'll need to see pictures of these to tell at a glance which it is.

Separating out the 21" - there are two versions of that. One is so called "AR" and fit only very early 1928 Model As without a separate rear wheel emergency brake. These are not so common. The vast majority of 21" wheels are the later "regular" wheels and will fit the vast majority of Model A.

As to value, around here the 19" 30-31 wheels sell for $15 to $30 each depending on condition which is primarily paint/rust related.

21" wheels sell for a little more - but not much more. Perhaps $25 to $40 - this because the 21" wheels have "inturning" wheel bead area which tends to retain water and rust out the wheel.

21" AR wheels MIGHT sell for yet a little more - but the market is limited and I would price them alongside a regular 21" wheel as determination of an AR wheel is a little "iffy" at best - most Model A parts buyers would be challenged to know if it is AR or not by looking.

There are later Mid-30s wheels that will fit the Model A. These are characterized by spokes similar to the Model A, but a LARGE hubcab hub location, perhaps 6" hole. I have seen "Model A" wheels for sale on Craigslist, but in reality they are the later Ford wheels - the seller only assumes they are Model A because Dad or Grandpa used them on his Model A. Many did that with WWII rationing and Great Depression economy.

Joe K
Old 09-17-2019, 01:23 PM   #4
Purdy Swoft

I purchased a set of five straight , sandblasted nineteen inch wheels in 1998 and paid two hundred and fifty dollars for the set . The wheels came from out west and the shipping was nearly as much as the wheels. Considering the price of the reproduction wheels I was happy . My wheels are real model A .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 02:12 PM   #5
Skierdad

Thank you all for the help on this. I will do some investigating tonight.

Unfortunately I am in a state where there isn't a Model A club that I am even aware of.

Once again. I appreciate all the help.
Old 09-17-2019, 02:23 PM   #6
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skierdad View Post
Thank you all for the help on this. I will do some investigating tonight.

Unfortunately I am in a state where there isn't a Model A club that I am even aware of.

Once again. I appreciate all the help.
What city and state are you located in?

Charlie Stephens
Old 09-17-2019, 05:54 PM   #7
30 Closed Cab PU

Take some pictures and post them here. Would help.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 07:48 AM   #8
Skierdad

3C2CD370-162E-4066-BAE9-0FFCD2983DEA.jpgGot pictures! They measure 22.5” though. Maybe they aren't Model A rims.
Old 09-18-2019, 08:52 AM   #9
ryanheacox

They are 28-29 Model A rims.
ryanheacox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 09:28 AM   #10
Skierdad

Thank you.

Charlie- North Dakota
Old 09-18-2019, 11:53 AM   #11
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skierdad View Post
Attachment 407182Got pictures! They measure 22.5” though. Maybe they aren't Model A rims.
When you measure you need to measure where the bead sits. The dimension if taken to the edge of the rim sounds right for 21 inch wheels. The pictures look like '28-'29 Model A rims. Someone else will have to tell if they are the early '28 rims.

Charlie Stephens