Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-13-2013, 10:48 PM   #1
40fordpu

Default Brake Drum Retainers

Hey guys. Wanted to know about the brake drum retainer sets that vendors sell for 39 to 48's. They dont look original but would you recommend them? Are they worth it? Thanks
40fordpu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:17 PM   #2
ford38v8

Default Re: Brake Drum Retainers

If you ever need to pull your drums in the future, you'll be glad you installed them. If the drum has a ridge, you'd need to use the hot wrench.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:16 AM   #3
JM 35 Sedan

If you are talking about the 'U' shaped brackets that bolt to the backing plates and extend up and over the drum to its front surface....I think they are worth installing. If you have ever seen the damage that could happen if an axle snaps and the drum and tire comes out into the fender or possibly completely off the car, you would be surprised and definitely want to install them. I used a set from Speedway on one of my cars that I converted to hydraulic brakes. Would like to figure out how to put them on a 35 Ford with mechanical brakes.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:49 AM   #4
Karl Wolf

I would not be without them... the A V8 would be a sorry state with one rear wheel missing...
Karl
Karl Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:28 AM   #5
39portlander

Finishing up MT Carproducts bendix rear brakes on my 39, and installing the axle/brake retainers after conversion.

I learned about these from the Vern Tardell book #3, Ford Brakes pg.21.
He sells the retainers on his web site. Vern Tardel Ent. is in Santa Rosa.
39portlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:36 AM   #6
PeteVS

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 39portlander View Post
Finishing up MT Carproducts bendix rear brakes on my 39, and installing the axle/brake retainers after conversion.
I don't think that the ones Speedway sells will work with the Bendix conversion. They mount using the Lockheed wheel cylinder bolts which are way at the top. The Bendix wheel cylinder is mounted much lower. You might have to make a pair that would mount on the brake anchor pin. Has anyone done this yet?
Old 01-14-2013, 07:23 AM   #7
JWL
Member Emeritus

I didn't plan to "need" them but installed the drum retainers when I built the rearend with the Mitchell OD. A few years later I was sure happy I had them when I broke an axle.
JWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:52 AM   #8
Mart

There is a more deluxe version that takes more work. You have to weld a ring to the hub and there is a casting that replaces the grease seal. It all bolts through the backplate with 2 studs. More work, but might work with Bendix.

Mart.
Mart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:54 AM   #9
19Fordy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteVS View Post
I don't think that the ones Speedway sells will work with the Bendix conversion. They mount using the Lockheed wheel cylinder bolts which are way at the top. The Bendix wheel cylinder is mounted much lower. You might have to make a pair that would mount on the brake anchor pin. Has anyone done this yet?
Pete, You are correct. When I converted to the the MT Products Bendix brake kit, the "brake retainers" I had used on my stock 40 brakes no longer fit - not even close. Plus, the ridges cast into the OD od the MT brake drum hinder their installation as the lip of the retainer has to fit exactly between the ridges. I have attached photos of the retainers I made that fit the stock 40 Ford brake drum, just in case anyone wants to make a pair. I used 1/8 in. thick CRS pieces welded together. There are double layers of the 1/8" metal on the front lip and top, welded all around. If anyone makes a set for the MT brakes please post photos.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7774small.jpg (38.5 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7459small.jpg (53.6 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7461small.jpg (47.9 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7471small.jpg (46.8 KB, 122 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7490small.jpg (58.9 KB, 132 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7491b.jpg (62.4 KB, 123 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7493small.jpg (46.5 KB, 123 views)

Last edited by 19Fordy; 01-14-2013 at 12:35 PM.
19Fordy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:13 AM   #10
Vic Piano

They are cheap insurance. I recommend them; ask me how I know... I'd like to put a set on the '39 LZ with factory Bendix Brakes. Does anyone make a kit or do I need to make a set like 19Fordy did?
Old 01-14-2013, 12:37 PM   #11
19Fordy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Piano View Post
They are cheap insurance. I recommend them; ask me how I know... I'd like to put a set on the '39 LZ with factory Bendix Brakes. Does anyone make a kit or do I need to make a set like 19Fordy did?
I don't think anyone makes a set to fit the '39 LZ style Bendix brakes. Please post your success if you do make a set.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:53 PM   #12
Vic Piano

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post
I don't think anyone makes a set to fit the '39 LZ style Bendix brakes. Please post your success if you do make a set.
I'll do that but it won't be for a while, I've got to go through the Columbia rear and install it first.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:46 PM   #13
39portlander

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteVS View Post
Just spoke with Mt Carproducts and they said they did make a retainer @ one time. Alot of that stuff they offered was sold to Bert's Model "A" Center.

Bert's is closed sun./mon. and Tues. I will see if it's an item still available. If not, I will work on a retainer that will be fuctional using the brake anchor pin.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:13 PM   #14
Yeti

Ive heard shocking storys of these things loosing a wheel

what a top idea and the ones shown above look simple enough to knock up, looks like sunday norning I have a little jog to do with some scrap in the shed
Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:52 PM   #15
19Fordy

Smile Re: Brake Drum Retainers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 39portlander View Post
Just spoke with Mt Carproducts and they said they did make a retainer @ one time. Alot of that stuff they offered was sold to Bert's Model "A" Center.

Bert's is closed sun./mon. and Tues. I will see if it's an item still available. If not, I will work on a retainer that will be fuctional using the brake anchor pin.

I tried making a pair held in place by the wheel cylinder bolts, like the 40 Ford pair. However, I found that the wheel cylinder bolts did not provide sufficient, consistent and reliable clamping power to hold the retainer in place so that the retainer lip would fit between the grooves of the MT brake drum without rubbing. Another option might be to weld a small mounting plate near the upper edge of the backside of the MT backing plate. The retainer would then be bolted to the threaded holes in the mounting plate and the lip would extend over the brake drum ribs and then bend down 90 degrees
in front of the first rib. Perhaps the retainer could be held in place by utilizing the anchor pin nut without making brake adjustment difficult. It might also be possible to install two retainers on each backing plate ( at 10 and 2 o'clock) so as to avoid interference with the anchor pin or nut. I guess it's time to start making some cardboard templates.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:52 AM   #16
ford38v8

I misread the original post, sorry.
About the retainers, They don't fit my '38 or I'd have them. I did get very lucky once, thought I had transmission problems that turned out to be a broken axle at the keyway. The lucky part was when I got a rope tow for a half mile to a friend's garage. It was only then I discovered my drum had moved just slightly outboard!
Old 01-15-2013, 06:33 AM   #17
39portlander

19Fordy, I did start cutting out some idea's last nite. Would like to start a new thread "Bendix axle/brake retainer" and post some pic's.

I like the idea to collaborate a design that would help a whole lotta folk's
Old 01-15-2013, 06:44 AM   #18
mike42

Because of this thread I bought a pair from C & G this morning ! $ 38.

Drake had them for sale at $ 60 !

Thx....Mike
mike42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:21 AM   #19
Talkwrench

speedway motors $25 !
Old 01-15-2013, 11:21 AM   #20
40fordpu

Was this part a stock item on the cars/pickups or is this something created by the current vendors?
40fordpu is offline   Reply With Quote