Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-02-2016, 11:47 PM   #21
Vics Stuff

Default Re: Chrome

RalphM
Yeah Vince and Joey opened their doors in 1978. They were from California. As time passed their work became worse and worse. I stopped using them back in mid 80"s. Their work was ok for a daily driver but not for a restoration. I think I had one of their last parts they had done for a snowmachine that I was restoring. The work was real bad and suspected thats how it was going to turn out. I send all my parts down to Akron Ohio and the guys kick ass on the end product. Will not send my parts to anyone else.
Vic
Vics Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 09:57 AM   #22
rotorwrench

Paul's lists a price range $500 to $2000 for bumpers with an average from $750 to $1200. This would be considering some are relatively small blade type and others are large monsters with lots of surface area to cover. For quotes, you just have to call them.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 10:02 AM   #23
19Fordy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat's 52 View Post
I use Qual-Krom in Erie, PA. They use the hexavalent process which was used in the 30's, 40's, and 50's. They can do the latter process because they were grand- fathered in. Their specialty is chroming die casting parts. They do excellent work at competitive prices.
Pat's52: Can you actually tell the difference between the traditional hexavalent chroming process and the newer methods? Is one really "better" than the other? Just curious.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 11:47 AM   #24
Kahuna

Jim (19Fordy)
The difference between the old hexavalent chroming process, and the new is in 2 areas:
The older (looks like it has a blueish tint to it) is more expensive due to the chemicals and is more dangerous to the environment, so they say.
The newer stuff is less dangerous to the environment, and has a yellow tint to it.
In California, they (EPA), want shops that are left to use the newer stuff, and will not
allow the old stuff in the event someone (unlikely) wants to start a new business.
To Paul
Pricing in CA:
I had the front grill sections of my 56 Ford rechromed (only the 2 grill pieces, nothing else).
Price was $800.00 Company in Lodi, CA. Excellent work for my purposes.
I'm having all the interior chrome redone on the same Ford Crown Victoria. There is a lot. Some steel & some large pieces of Pot Metal
Everything, except the radio bezel & heater bezel. $1850.00.
You'd have to look inside a car like mine to determine whether that price is hi or low to you. This is being done at a plater that is more local to me that I recently found.
Jim
Additional info, again, you have to know the vehicle parts to make a comparison:
My friend has a 52 Mercury. Front bumper has many pieces & is very large & heavy
Price will be about $1500.00 No repairs. They would be more

Last edited by Kahuna; 12-03-2016 at 11:52 AM. Reason: Additional info
Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 11:51 AM   #25
rotorwrench

I can't speak for Pat but the folks that use the "Old Style" stuff say it is a bit harder to work with but has a lot more corrosion resistance and better luster after polish than the later "Green stuff". This link gives some info. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrome_plating

Now days it's well worth looking for good used or NOS stuff since it can be less expensive than getting the stuff replated.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 08:26 PM   #26
Kahuna

I was also told by the current Plater that the new is much less durable than the old.
He also feels that one day the EPA will outlaw the old stuff.
I also asked him about import parts. He said most is what is called "Flash Chrome)
Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 09:15 PM   #27
harvest

I found a company who does rechroming few years back. they are located in IL. I've spent 3 months few years back seeking the best chroming at the best price and it came to be a company called QUALITY CHROME PLATING. Google it, they have a website with pricing too. Ask for Gary. Really nice people to work with. As I speak, he is finishing up a project for me right now. This is the 2nd time I've worked with him. I have in the process getting the 46 truck chromed up. My 1st project was the 47 truck rechromed and the parts came out better than expected. Good luck with whoever does you chrome, I recommend using quality chrome plating in IL.
harvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 10:22 PM   #28
Pat's 52

In my opinion I think it is much better. It has a much deeper look in the chrome.
Pat's 52 is offline   Reply With Quote