Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-20-2018, 02:56 AM   #21
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: towing 29 A

I would tie an old tire on each rear bumper, then push the car.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 05:59 AM   #22
3.6rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall V. Daut View Post
"Really ??? What is the problem when there is sitting someone in the towed vehicle ? None I think"

I don't know how the traffic laws read in Belgium, but I rather think that in most states in this country it is illegal to have someone sitting in a vehicle that is being flat towed, even if that person were sitting behind the steering wheel. If it isn't against the law, it SHOULD be - for obvious reasons. To do so for more than a block or two to make it home would just be asking for a written citation from the friendly local authorities (cops!) at the least.
Marshall
Well, the law in Belgium ; there must be a person behind the steering wheel of the towed vehicle ! That's the most logic, don't you think?! And the law says also ; A-frame is NOT allowed !
3.6rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 11:30 AM   #23
Marshall V. Daut

We may be envisioning two different towing methods: one with a simple strap and one with a fixed tow bar. I realize that the OP was discussing towing with a rope and/or chain, but my comments were addressing the only kind of Model A towing I've ever been involved with, namely with a tow bar. No one could argue that such a towing method is safer than by a rope or chain. With a fixed tow bar, a "driver" in the towed vehicle is not needed and that's when problems with the front wheels not returning to center occur. If a car is pulled by a strap or chain, however, then a "driver" would be necessary to steer and use the brakes. I am still not sure how the law reads in this regard. The local police might be more understanding if the car is towed by a rope or chain for a few blocks just to get a disabled car out of traffic. But towing this way from one town to another might be pushing the tolerance of the law.
The OP estimates a distance of five miles towing with a rope and/or chain. One must take into consideration the types of roads and traffic he will encounter. All city streets? Country roads? A combination of both? Heavy or light traffic? Time of day? Weekday or weekend day? These are factors that could make his towing experience easy or a nightmare. Communication between the tow vehicle and the Model A being towed will be critical, especially when unanticipated stops arise. Cell phones in continual use between the two vehicles would almost be mandatory.
My comments about the front wheels' tendency not returning to the neutral position after a turn are still valid and should be remembered by anyone towing a Model A in the future with a FIXED tow bar and no "driver" in the Model A. Without disabling the drag link, the key to a going around corners is to make wide, gentle turns and then check that the wheels have returned to the center position after a sharp turn.
Marshall
Marshall V. Daut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 12:32 PM   #24
1928Mik

I would be hesitant about using a chain, get a strap. When I was much younger living at home, and before I got a trailer, my Dad used to tow his a couple of miles to the shop with a tow bar. It attached to the front bumper braces. He would stick me inside to turn the front wheels. I have that tow bar For Sale if anybody's interested. Fits a 2" ball.

-Life's Too Short To Drive Boring Cars-
1928Mik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 12:42 PM   #25
3.6rs

I really don't understand all the hustle just for towing a car for a couple of miles...
Old 01-20-2018, 01:04 PM   #26
oldforder

I agree with post 25. People around here tow cars all the time with chains/straps. I simply wanted to know where is the safest place to hook so as not to damage the A. I got it now so thank you all. Also, I have towed, and been towed in various vehicles before, so I know how it works. Again, thanks.
oldforder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 03:24 PM   #27
vern hodgson

I had my ex wife tow me 35 miles from point A to point B. She simply did not get the idea that mech brakes were not like modern brakes. 45 to 50 mph on the fwy on the end of a 20 foot long tow rope, now that gets your adrenaline up. Bout the third time I rammed her she got the picture. Sure glad the A bumpers are springy. Oh did I mention EX wife.
vern hodgson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 07:19 PM   #28
1wonton
BANNED

Is this a real question? Can't think of anything much less complicated than towing a Model a, just throw a chain around the front axle and have someone ride inside. Use hand signals to indicate stopping (and no, you wont bend the front axle. Sheese)
1wonton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 11:04 PM   #29
pooch

Although if your ball and/or receiver at the wishbone end was worn or loose, it could rip the whole front end right out......
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 12:55 AM   #30
3.6rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooch View Post
Although if your ball and/or receiver at the wishbone end was worn or loose, it could rip the whole front end right out......
That only happens with Stan and Oliver...
Old 01-21-2018, 09:23 AM   #31
desotoguy

Roll back is a bad idea. I have personally had a late model car towed on a roll back, instructions to driver not to pull it to tight. His reply as he pulled the leaver one more time, insurance say it must be tight. Hate to think what would happen to a model A front axle with that kind of pressure.
desotoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 09:54 AM   #32
WHN

Quote:
Originally Posted by desotoguy View Post
Roll back is a bad idea. I have personally had a late model car towed on a roll back, instructions to driver not to pull it to tight. His reply as he pulled the leaver one more time, insurance say it must be tight. Hate to think what would happen to a model A front axle with that kind of pressure.
Collector cars of all types and values are shipped locally and around the world using this same system.

Pulling an antique car using the front axel with a chain or rope is safer and better? Were not talking about moving it out of the garage. We are talking about moving it down the road.

If done right, should not harm car. Safety first and foremost. Spend a little money.

We all have our way of doing things. Enjoy.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 10:05 AM   #33
holdover

learned something a very long time ago "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure"

In many places it is illegal to tow with a chain or strap, other than to move a vehicle off the road. A tow bar is easy to make or adapt and is a much safer alternative. A trailer is always handy, but may be out of the means of many, but there is usually a friend nearby that has one. Have seen many front axles bent from towing in the middle. Best to plan ahead as you are doing. Besides my antique insurance that provides towing I have AAA, and they send a rollback if requested.
holdover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 02:36 PM   #34
abachman3

Our local club has been using a approx. 3 foot piece of 2-inch plastic pipe that we put snug between the bumper of the tow vehicle and model A (Sometimes the tow vehicle is a model A). We use a web strap pulled tight between the two vehicles and through the 2 inch pipe... and we do have someone in the model A to steer and aid in braking. We have towed numerous model A's for several miles when necessary. Pretty straight forward solution and no damage to the model A as it cannot hit the tow vehicle because of the three foot standoff.

Last edited by abachman3; 01-21-2018 at 04:05 PM.
abachman3 is offline   Reply With Quote