Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-09-2016, 01:13 PM   #1
JimG

Cool Fire is Storage Facility near Buffalo NY

There was a huge fire this morning in a former Bethlehem Steel facility south of Buffalo. See the enclosed URL. The facility is the equivalent of 6 city blocks under roof. The article says that over 100 firefighters were involved. The owners started marketing this as winter car and boat storage last year. I briefly considered keeping my 34 there this winter, as it is fairly close to my house. Fortunately, I never gave it serious consideration as I didn't think it was secure enough. I am sure there were a lot of nice classic cars destroyed today. What a shame!

I guess I learned that if you are going to let someone else store your car, keep it in a reputable place that is a dedicated vehicle storage facility - even if it costs a few bucks more. I'm so glad that I did.

http://buffalonews.com/2016/11/09/fi...nt-lackawanna/
JimG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 03:26 PM   #2
oldford2

Default Re: Fire is Storage Facility near Buffalo NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimG View Post
There was a huge fire this morning in a former Bethlehem Steel facility south of Buffalo. See the enclosed URL. The facility is the equivalent of 6 city blocks under roof. The article says that over 100 firefighters were involved. The owners started marketing this as winter car and boat storage last year. I briefly considered keeping my 34 there this winter, as it is fairly close to my house. Fortunately, I never gave it serious consideration as I didn't think it was secure enough. I am sure there were a lot of nice classic cars destroyed today. What a shame!

I guess I learned that if you are going to let someone else store your car, keep it in a reputable place that is a dedicated vehicle storage facility - even if it costs a few bucks more. I'm so glad that I did.

http://buffalonews.com/2016/11/09/fi...nt-lackawanna/
Here is a report on a "dedicated RV, car and boat storage facility "that burned near us last year
http://www.tampabay.com/news/publics...cility/2171985
oldford2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 04:09 PM   #3
Alaska Jim

My brother stores cars at his business, and insists on all batteries be disconnected in all vehicles to prevent possible electrical fires. the vehicles are inspected ( checked on ) at least once daily to check for possible fuel leaks etc. nothing else is stored there, or worked on in that section of the building, and heat is boiler fired hot water heaters, which are also inspected daily. the building is concrete block. I keep my '30 chopped and channeled coupe there over the winter, due to my lack of storage space.
Alaska Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 04:19 PM   #4
mhsprecher

Thanks for sharing this. Reminders like this are necessary.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 11:07 PM   #5
Scotty's 52 F3

Wow! My old neighborhood too. When I was a kid that plant left a rust covered soot all over everything. Still polluting the area even after all these years. Too bad this happened.

Scott
Scotty's 52 F3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 07:59 AM   #6
oldskool

thats terrible I hope everyone was insured
oldskool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 10:39 AM   #7
D. Jones

It isn't just commercial storage that you have to worry about. I had a fire in my garage/shop a year and one half ago and my Ford was inside. The fire guys cut my aluminum garage door open and pushed my truck outside but not before it had some damage. Think about what you have stored and what could cause a fire. My fire started by spontaneous combustion of old gun powder but oily rags can do the same thing. Gasoline vapors or some kinds of paint or thinners may find a source of ignition, do you have some in your garage?
D. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 12:19 PM   #8
Newc

Hi all; Same thing in Portland OR. A large Boat storage facility burned out last yr. Newc
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote