Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-24-2014, 01:26 PM   #21
Ratfink1973

Default Re: Lincoln Y-Block 318 Problems

Hello, today i become an Second Lincoln Capri for Parts. It has an manuell choke and an distributor that is not the original.How could i post a pictures here? Maybe someone could Tell me something about this.
Greetings Dieter
Edit: Now i take a Look on oldcarmanualprojekt and the distributor was from 1952 and 1954.Could i take a new carburetor with this distributor?
Sorry for this questions, but here in austria it is not easy to become Parts for this old Lincolns.

Last edited by Ratfink1973; 08-24-2014 at 01:40 PM.
Ratfink1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 02:36 PM   #22
Dobie Gillis

Old Lincoln parts are hard to find regardless of the locale. The '52-'54 distributor is the Loadomatic variety. It will work with a Loadomatic carburetor. If you are going for a more modern carburetor then you will need a later model distributor that has both centrifugal and vacuum advance. The original type carb can be modified to work with a later model distributor, but not vice versa.
Dobie Gillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 01:08 PM   #23
Ratfink1973

Last edited by Ratfink1973; 08-27-2014 at 01:18 PM.
Old 08-30-2014, 03:39 AM   #24
Ratfink1973

Did directupload not work on this forum?
Old 08-30-2014, 11:50 AM   #25
Dobie Gillis

Dieter,

When you start a thread or reply to one and want to attach a pic click the "Go Advanced" button below the reply window. Above the window click on the paper clip icon to add an attachment. When the window pops up you'll see 2 options. You can either upload a file stored on your computer or one stored on the internet (upload from a URL). Below the 2 options is a key showing the maximum size allowed by attachment type. You may need to resize your pic so it will load.
Old 09-08-2014, 07:36 AM   #26
Ratfink1973

picupload
Old 09-08-2014, 07:42 AM   #27
Ratfink1973

http://postimg.org/image/3n9si6563/
Could someone tell is this the distributor which i need when i want to replace the carburator?
Greetings from austria dieter
Old 09-08-2014, 10:00 AM   #28
Dobie Gillis

That is a Loadamatic distributor and not suitable for any but the original carburetor. The 2 advance springs are visible on top of the plate.

You may need to get an aftermarket distributor. MSD has one:

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/MSD-83...utor,8950.html

Not cheap but it will fit your 317. You may need to swap your gear onto it. Evidently about the only parts that will easily interchange between Ford and Lincoln y-blocks are the distributors and oil pumps.

Last edited by Dobie Gillis; 09-08-2014 at 01:51 PM.
Old 09-09-2014, 03:26 AM   #29
Ratfink1973

Ok, thanks for the Info. Now i Must wait for the Gas tank, because it was very rusty and Dirty inside. Two weeks ago i send it to a Company they make it rust Free and coated it.
Greetings Dieter
Old 09-10-2014, 01:16 PM   #30
Ratfink1973

Did someone know where could i become the nipple for the vacuum line from the Motor to the carburator? One line is from trhe carburator to the Motor and one from the carburator to the Distributor.
greetings Dieter
Old 10-05-2014, 12:24 PM   #31
Ratfink1973

Hello could someone Tell me what is with oldmics? I Wrote him some Mails and PMs and become no answer. Greetings Dieter
Old 03-09-2015, 10:50 AM   #32
Ratfink1973

Helle, After some weeks i have some news. The Tank is now ready. Complete rust free,and next Week i take it home. The electric is 99% ready and all Lightshow are burning.
The only Problem that i have is the distributor. Where could i become an Y-Block distributor, so that i could take an better carburetor than the Original one.
Greetings Dieter
Old 03-09-2015, 01:30 PM   #33
Dobie Gillis

You're in luck. According to John Mummert's website the only parts that interchange between the Lincoln and Ford Y-blocks is the oil pump and distributor. Mummert is a very well respected Y-block expert. So any 1957 or later distributor will work. Earlier distributors will fit but will not play well with any carb except the original type.

Here's a link to Mummert's site: http://www.ford-y-block.com/lincoln-y.htm
Old 03-09-2015, 02:23 PM   #34
Oldmics
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobie Gillis View Post
You're in luck. According to John Mummert's website the only parts that interchange between the Lincoln and Ford Y-blocks is the oil pump and distributor. Mummert is a very well respected Y-block expert. So any 1957 or later distributor will work. Earlier distributors will fit but will not play well with any carb except the original type.

Here's a link to Mummert's site: http://www.ford-y-block.com/lincoln-y.htm
NO THATS NOT CORRECT !!!!!!!!!!

You can use a Y Block distributor BUT the drive gear must be changed or else SERIOUS damage will occur.

Oldmics
Oldmics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 03:24 PM   #35
Dobie Gillis

He can swap the gear from his original distributor to the new one assuming it's good.
Old 03-09-2015, 08:00 PM   #36
Oldmics
BANNED

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Now that will work by replacing the dizzy gear.

I never saw that portion of Mummert"s site. He needs to specify that the distributor gear has to be changed for the engine use.

Oldmics
Oldmics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 10:25 PM   #37
Pack guru

I was reading this forum I know it's older . It said on bubba's fix it site and it took me to an old Lincoln parts store but I don't know how to get ahold of them or I've tried. I was wanting to know about the oil pump and drive rod are the 57 distributor they were talking about putting in detrick's car. Will that 1957 oil pump and drive rod court so I can use the 57 distributor in my 1953 317 cubic inch it has a different oil pump rod can I just be changed to the 57 model?
Pack guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 04:48 PM   #38
rotorwrench

Don't be afraid to start a new thread for stuff like this.

The Y-blocks that were made for Lincoln and trucks are not quite the same as the smaller Y-blocks made for the Ford & Mercury products. I don't have the Big Job truck books to check but I have some Lincoln books. The Ford & Mercury stuff may be different than the larger truck & Lincoln Y-blocks. *The 57 Mercury had the 368 engine option so they are a Lincoln type Y-block and the distributor should work on a 317 if you can change the oil pump to the hex drive.

The difference between the early 1954/55 & some 56 Ford Y-blocks ignition system and the late 56 & 57 ignition system has mostly to do with the type of system that they had. Holley made carburetors and ignitions for FoMoCo for a long time and the systems were related in that the early ones were the Load-O-Matic system and the later ones were not. The Load -O-Matic required a proper carburetor to operate the vacuum control for the automatic spark advance. The later set up used a different form of vacuum control that is more like the systems used well up into the 1960s & early 70s. They also have a centrifugal advance to work with the vacuum spark control that the Load-O-Matic didn't have.

I looked at the Lincoln parts books and compared them to the Ford & Mercury parts books and all I can say is that they are similar but not the same. The big Lincoln motor used the Load-O-Matic but all the part numbers are different. I don't know how similar they may be. Some parts cross over and some don't.

The early Ford Y-blocks used the blade & slot type oil pump/distributor drive but that changed when the later type oil pump came out. The big Lincolns changed over to the late type non-Load-O-Matic is 1957 as well and it also had the new style drive from the pump. My only concern about a swap would be whether the ignition timing curve might be different or whether there might be a difference in length of the distributor shaft. Someone that knows the differences between big Y-block and the normal Y-block could confirm better than I can.

*I found this on the HAMB. It says they can be interchanged but the drive gear is different. 15 tooth instead of 14 tooth on the drive gear.
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...it-lyb.565279/

Last edited by rotorwrench; 05-23-2020 at 10:37 AM. Reason: New info *
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 06:20 PM   #39
Lost and Profound

I am currently having a similar issue. The carb on the 53 lincoln capri is siezed and doesnt appear to be in any hurry to free up. Bit lost about the earlier part of this thread when saying the distributor would not work with any other carb as it is vacuum advance? Is it ported or manifold vac? and why would it not work with any other carb ? Thanks in advance
Lost and Profound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 08:25 PM   #40
dmsfrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost and Profound View Post
. . . Bit lost about the earlier part of this thread when saying the distributor would not work with any other carb as it is vacuum advance? Is it ported or manifold vac? and why would it not work with any other carb ? Thanks in advance
The '56 and earlier distributors use only a very low vacuum signal (0 to 5 inches) from the '56 and earlier carburetors to advance the timing, they don't have any centrifugal advance at all, just the vacuum signal.

'57 and later distributors use a ported signal of 5 to 20 inches of vacuum from the carburetor to 'fine tune' the timing advance, which is primarily controlled by centrifugal fly-weights.
There isn't a practical way a '57 and later carburetor can properly operate an earlier distributor.

Last edited by dmsfrr; 11-01-2020 at 08:43 PM.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote