Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-05-2017, 09:28 PM   #1
Nasukau

Default Issues After Engine Swap

Hi All,
I swapped out my engine in my coupe with a rebuilt touring engine that I had in my sedan and am having a couple issues that I have not ran into before.

1. Engine stops when spark lever is pulled down a little above half way point after starting the engine.
2. When starting the engine the starter spins and does not always engage
3. Clutch pedal does not return all the way back to top

I have no clue what is happening on #1. For #2, is my starter just going bad since it does not engage consistently? And for #3 I thought maybe it was the spring attached to the throwout bearing but the spring is tight so I am not sure why my clutch pedal does not return all the way to the top.

Thanks,
Denny
Nasukau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 09:34 PM   #2
Jacksonlll

Send a message via ICQ to Jacksonlll
Default Re: Issues After Engine Swap

Spark lever must be shorting out something, or it is the little black wire under the top dist. plate.
On the starter, you probably have some heavy grease on the starter shaft. Clean it all off. At most, just a tiny bit of very light oil.
Jacksonlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 07:20 AM   #3
JDupuis

I agree with Jack. Check the short wire under the distributor points plate. The bolt securing it may be loose, grounding it out, thus shutting off the motor.
Your clutch pedal also needs attention. Remove the floor boards and open the inspection plate in front of the transmission tower. While looking at your pressure plate, press your clutch pedal a few times to see where the problem is. Hopefully this can be resolved by adjusting the pedal linkage at the bottom of the pedal.
Hope this helps. Please keep us posted with your findings. Jeff
Old 04-06-2017, 07:44 AM   #4
SeaSlugs

I agree with the other 2 - all good points to check. Starter could also be a weak battery or starter or ground. Clutch could also be a broken return spring or lack of grease on the throwout hub but needs to be watched while pressing the clutch.
Old 04-06-2017, 09:06 AM   #5
Gunmetal blue2

Or is it your condensor wire.
Gunmetal blue2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 10:21 AM   #6
Nasukau

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I will keep you posted.

SeaSlugs - I checked the spring attached to the throwout bearing and it is not broke. I will add some grease and hopefully that will fix the issue.

Thanks,
Denny
Old 04-22-2017, 06:07 PM   #7
Nasukau

Just a quick update. I finally was able to work on the coupe. The wire under the distributor plate was loose. I tightened up that. I have not had any issues now when pulling down the spark lever. I also switched my ground cable from the battery to a better spot. I have not had any issues with the starter since then. But I am not sure if that was the problem. I will grease the throwout hub soon as I need a new grease gun. Thanks everyone.

Denny
Old 04-22-2017, 06:22 PM   #8
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasukau View Post
Just a quick update. I finally was able to work on the coupe. The wire under the distributor plate was loose. I tightened up that. I have not had any issues now when pulling down the spark lever. I also switched my ground cable from the battery to a better spot. I have not had any issues with the starter since then. But I am not sure if that was the problem. I will grease the throwout hub soon as I need a new grease gun. Thanks everyone.

Denny
Hey Denny,
For you information, suppliers sell a 'special' spring that is specifically for the problem that you are experiencing....i.e.- pedal does not fully return.
Lube may help make things move more smoothly. However, my experience is that the clutch pedal does not fully / firmly return to the position that it should...without the spring. I guess that that's why they sell such, eh .
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 07:06 PM   #9
Joe K

You want the starter gear almost clean - except for a thin coat of 3 in 1, WD40 or some other light oil on the drive helix.

Grease or even oil in this area attracts dirt and can be cause for hang-ups - both in and out - of the starter gear.

Joe K
Old 04-22-2017, 07:54 PM   #10
heneste

For the clutch pedal sticking it could also be the grease fittings on the crossshaft where the brake pedal and clutch pedal are attached. Make sure they're greased when you check out the grease on the throw out bearing.
heneste is offline   Reply With Quote