Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-13-2021, 05:30 PM   #1
GLAmes

Default '54 Ford serrated hood washers

Does anyone have a source for the serrated washers used to mount the hood to the spring assy? The parts manual shows Washer 5/16 part #351360-S. I had no trouble finding the wave washers because thy have a lot of applications.
Old 12-13-2021, 07:08 PM   #2
Daves55Sedan

Default Re: '54 Ford serrated hood washers

Those serrated washers (along with 5/16" bolts) were also used on the '55 car door and hood and fender mounts at some body plants where there was enough left-over bolts and washers from the previous year models.
In '55 and '56, those serrated washers were only used along with a nut to mount the hood hinge to the cowl (4 required per side). In '55/56, the doors hood and fenders used the new serrated 5/16" washer/bolts that look like a flying saucer.
Once the body plant(s) received shipments of the flying saucer bolts during the '55 model year, they quit using the serrated washers and separate 5/16" bolts and substituting them for the flying saucer bolts (except kept using the serrated washers for hood-hinge to cowl mounting only).
As far as I know, the separate serrated washers are not reproduced by anyone, but you can get semi-duplicate repro's of the flying saucer bolts from some of the repro parts suppliers and use them instead of the separate washers and bolts, but it wouldn't be period correct on a '54 Ford. Also the repro flying saucer bolts don't look exactly like the originals.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 07:37 PM   #3
JeffB2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daves55Sedan View Post
Those serrated washers (along with 5/16" bolts) were also used on the '55 car door and hood and fender mounts at some body plants where there was enough left-over bolts and washers from the previous year models.
In '55 and '56, those serrated washers were only used along with a nut to mount the hood hinge to the cowl (4 required per side). In '55/56, the doors hood and fenders used the new serrated 5/16" washer/bolts that look like a flying saucer.
Once the body plant(s) received shipments of the flying saucer bolts during the '55 model year, they quit using the serrated washers and separate 5/16" bolts and substituting them for the flying saucer bolts (except kept using the serrated washers for hood-hinge to cowl mounting only).
As far as I know, the separate serrated washers are not reproduced by anyone, but you can get semi-duplicate repro's of the flying saucer bolts from some of the repro parts suppliers and use them instead of the separate washers and bolts, but it wouldn't be period correct on a '54 Ford. Also the repro flying saucer bolts don't look exactly like the originals.
So these replace the early style bolts ? https://www.ebay.com/itm/25448532560...Cclp%3A2047675
JeffB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 08:01 PM   #4
KULTULZ

Post Re: '54 Ford errated hood washers

This company - https://www.amkproducts.com/ - used to sell FORD HARDWARE using the STANDARD PN. You will have to contact them to see if they still do.

https://www.auveco.com/retainers-clips-fasteners is another good source for body fasteners.

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

WONDERING IN W(BY GOD)V ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 08:12 PM   #5
Daves55Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffB2 View Post
So these replace the early style bolts ?
Maybe, but you'd need to be sure they have the right thread and proper bolt length for the application.
In most cases, Fomoco used the fine thread 5/16" bolts for the doors and fenders. These offered on e-bay look like the coarse thread version.
Also, be careful NOT TO EXCEED the length of the bolt you are replacing. The hinge-to-hood bolts are SHORTER than the door and fender bolts. If you tried to use the longer bolts from a fender or door hinge, the bottom of the bolt will hit the bottom skin of the hood and put a big dent in it.
Old 12-13-2021, 08:31 PM   #6
Daves55Sedan

Fomoco made several variations of these bolts in '55/56
The longest ones with hole guide on the end of the bolt were used in door hinge and fender mounting applications.
Another type with same length as above except without the hole-guide was used on the two forwardmost hood-to-hood hinge mounting
A shorter bolt with hole-guide was used on rearward most hood-to-hood hinge and also radiator-to-support bracket mounting.
There was also a short bolt like the one above except without hole-guide used in various places such as some of the radiator air deflector mounting.
These were always 5/16" usually with fine thread. In rare cases, I have seen the coarse thread used but only in very limited applications and may have been used in later years of the same flying saucer design. All the speed-nuts I have ever seen used on '55/56 cars for the flying saucer bolts were of the fine-thread variety.
Old 12-13-2021, 08:40 PM   #7
GLAmes

Being period correct isn't as important to me as correct function. They are supposed to pinch between the shoulder of the bolt and the inside of the hood to allow the hinge to move freely on the bolt's shoulder. I believe there is thickness criteria as well. I found some 5/16 fender washers at the local hardware store that are slightly thicker and the hole is slightly larger. I bought more than I need and plan on experimenting with fabricating them to work but would much rather just buy them. It seems strange to me that the bolts and the wave washers are relatively easy to find but not the serrated washers.
Old 12-14-2021, 11:08 AM   #8
KULTULZ

Arrow Re: '54 Ford serrated hood washers

Quote:
It seems strange to me that the bolts and the wave washers are relatively easy to find but not the serrated washers.
You need to look for an AUTOMOTIVE PAINT SUPPLY house in your area. They will carry a large selection of fasteners and should be able to order what you need.

HOME DEPOT and its CHI-COM hardware ain't gonna cut it.

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

WONDERING IN W(BY GOD)V ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
Old 12-14-2021, 06:17 PM   #9
GLAmes

I ended up making some. A hammer, an anvil and a Dremel. Flattened the fender washers a little which closed up the hole and cut some crosshatch into them. Not perfect, but they will work.

Last edited by GLAmes; 12-16-2021 at 09:12 AM.
GLAmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 06:51 PM   #10
JeffB2

Possible option ? Looks like it may be an aircraft item these days. https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...8aAll9EALw_wcB
JeffB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 09:16 AM   #11
GLAmes

The OD is too small, the washer has to grip the hood outside the adjustment slots. Good find, nonethelest.
Old 12-16-2021, 11:14 AM   #12
rotorwrench

A tempered belleville washer may be just as good as a serrated one about arresting movement. This link has all sorts of lock washers.
https://www.mcmaster.com/serrated-lock-washers/

Nord locks are a two washer locking system that is sometimes used instead of split lock washers and star locks. They don't come in large area sizes like belleville washers do.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 05:42 PM   #13
cokefirst

I have the AMK Ford fastener book. I looked up the part number you provided and it says it is a special washer but does not mention serrations. it is a 5/16 flat washer, ID .328 OD .750 and the thickness is .031. There is no illustration of the part. I hope that helps
cokefirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 05:50 PM   #14
KULTULZ

Thumbs up Re: '54 Ford serrated hood washers

Quote:
Originally Posted by cokefirst View Post

I have the AMK Ford fastener book.
That is a nice reference to have ...
Old 12-17-2021, 06:29 PM   #15
rotorwrench

Most Ford chassis parts catalogs have a listing of fasteners in the front section. Many are illustrated but not all.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 08:44 AM   #16
GLAmes

Quote:
Originally Posted by cokefirst View Post
I have the AMK Ford fastener book. I looked up the part number you provided and it says it is a special washer but does not mention serrations. it is a 5/16 flat washer, ID .328 OD .750 and the thickness is .031. There is no illustration of the part. I hope that helps
Thanks, but I have one original washer and it is in fact serrated. I think the three I made will do the job.