Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-27-2021, 10:32 AM   #1
john charlton

Default 4 speed trans into 3 speed

Urban myth has it that a major meat packer (maybe Armor) requested that Ford would make a modification that it would not be needed to pull the rear axle back to change the clutch . The original style had a muff coupling jack shaft setup which could only be removed when the rear axle was pulled back . Ford brought out a two piece take apart U/J ( about the size of a small pineapple ) The rear bearing retainer was changed to AA 7085 B which has the same bolt pattern as the A torque tube clamshells . With a special U/J with the input of the 4 speed and the output of the A drive shaft the 4 speed can be fitted to the A chassis . I have had quite a few of these U/Js but never ever found the special rear bearing retainer . The English Aug 1st 1935 Parts book does not list this converting U/J or the rear bearing retainer . This option seems to be offered from mid 1931 onwards but nothing in the Parts Price List maybe in the USA list , I thought I would make a "stack" of a bell housing to rear bearing retainer of a 4 speed setup and a 3 speed setup .I found the 4 speed was 1/16" longer front to back so I feel the A 7085 B rear bearing retainer can be used as the A rear spring and shackles will easily accept the extra length and brake rods adjusted . For the purist the A 7085 B retainer has plenty of stock to skim off the 1/16" .Just a thought for anyone building a parade car .

John in West Drayton London England ,

Last edited by john charlton; 07-27-2021 at 12:17 PM.
john charlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 11:37 AM   #2
Bob C

Default Re: 4 speed trans into 3 speed

If I understand your question I think Vince has some information.
http://www.fordgarage.com/pages/aafourspeedachassis.htm
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 01:42 PM   #3
john charlton

Thank you for that Bob C . I did this experiment before Vinces site existed so did not have that concise information .I bolted an empty 4 speed trans case to an AA bellhousing .The trans case had a bearing retainer attached .I did the same with the A three speed . They were side by side upright on the floor and I used a steel tape from floor to top edge of the bearing retainer . The 4 speed setup was 1/16" taller . Now I see from Vinces site there should be a .375" difference not 1/16" . It would seem the 4 speed trans was fitted with the 1" deep retainer I just did not spot it . I do have the mortal remains of a 31 van which as the title says an AA serial number even though it was a regular A van I had guessed it had had a 4 speed but not sure . I had bought the van as a joblot of parts and had not connected the trans at the time to the van but now all is clear !!! As it was a RHD trans case it was long ago sold .

John in same place .
john charlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 02:46 PM   #4
Bill Cilker

John
Here is a picture of the removable AA coupling shaft and most of its parts. There are 2 different 4-speed to the u-joint housing pieces. The cast iron one on the right is what was used to mount the 4-speed in an A chassis.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PA170420.jpg (54.0 KB, 43 views)
Victoria Association President
Bill Cilker is offline   Reply With Quote