Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-10-2020, 08:01 PM   #1
dsarge390

Default Distributor Seized

Took the "A" for another shakedown run today. Cruising along just fine for an hour or so, and it just quit. Figured a condenser or something. Going through my roadside checks, no spark. I pop the cap to look at the points, and crank the engine. I noticed the rotor was not turning, not good.
Towed it home and started tearing into it. Figured it may be the oil pump drive or the cam gears sheared. I pulled the timing plug out and turned it around, cranked the engine and felt the cam gear spinning. Some good news.
Pulled the distributor and the lower shaft is rusted to hell and it is frozen/seized. Pulled the side cover and the got the oil pump drive gear out. Bunch of the teeth got sheared off, so it's shot. was able to get a magnet and pull the big chunks out of the opening, but I can still see an few pieces down there.
So I'm gonna pull the pan to be sure I got all of the pieces, and might as well put a new oil pump in while I'm there. My question is, is there anything crazy I need to worry about swapping out oil pumps, etc? I've never dug that deep into an "A" motor yet and want to be sure springs do not go flying or something.
Thank you in advance.
dsarge390 is offline   Reply With Quote