Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-19-2010, 07:16 AM   #1
ratamahata

Default Early model A ford brakes!!

Hello greetings from Argentina, my name is Leandro i´m restoring an early 28 model A chassis for a speedster build.
I think my chassis date is june 1928 (number A188826) When was the Ford transition of the equalizer bar and multi-piece cross shaft to the solid cross shaft.
I think this because the chassis had the solid cross shaft handbrake system and the multi-piece cross shaft to for the service brake.
My first question is this early brake system is secure?
And my second question is anyone have a diagram assembly of this system?
Thank guys In Argentina for me is very dificult to find information of the model A and understand the information in english...
Thank you again...
ratamahata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 08:17 AM   #2
Steve Ciccalone

Default Re: Early model A ford brakes!!

Leandro, a diagram of your current braking system is shown on the first page of the Model A Judging Standards, Chapter 7. It is a good brake sysytem for an original car but since you are building a speedster you may want to consider changing it to the solid brake crossshaft that was introduced late in 1928. A full description of how to change this is in the Ford Service Bulletins, Volume 9, Number 11 dated November, 1928 (starting on page 295). These parts may be more available in Argentina. Additional information can be found in the March 1929 bulletin, page 326 and you can even upgrade the emergency crossshaft to the '30-31 style as shown in the April 1930 bulletin, page 449. These upgrades would provide better braking for your speedster. The bulletins can be ordered from any big Model a parts supplier and the Judging Standards from MARC or MAFCA if you do not have a friend there that has these.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:28 AM   #3
ratamahata

Thanks Steve for this very very helpful information!!!
I wish to have these books now!!
I love knowing more about the Model A but it has nothing to do with my project that excites me as...
ratamahata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 11:12 AM   #4
Jim Parker Toronto

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
In my opinion, the Early 2 piece brakes are better than the later ones. The equalizer effect was built in from side to side with the dog-bone in the center of the brake rods, and the front to back equalizer is built by the sliding of the pivot point for the brake rods on the frame. The only down side to these are all the moving parts and pins, but if they are maintained and all the pins are in good shape, it should work better. (IMHO)
The first system is secure, except one of my friends, while going over a large curb at an angle, actually had the dogbone fall out from the twisting of the frame! If you put a small plate under the center ball of the dogbone, this will never happen to you! Good luck, anyway you go, its your choice, they both will work well....
Jim Parker Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote