Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-16-2010, 10:42 AM   #21
Pilotdave

Default Re: grounds

Looked at this so more. The conduit attaches to the socket, not to the socket holder, so you have to remove the guts of the socket to allow for the wires to pass through it and reinstall it into the bucket - yes? Or one can buy a "headlight socket ferrule" to replace the socket - appears to be designed for just this sort of thing - used for connecting conduit to the bucket when using sealed beam lights.
Pilotdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 03:06 PM   #22
roccaas

I tie the halogens and the incandescent driving lights to a common ground wire at the frame rail on the driver's side and run the common ground back to the battery +. No problems.
Old 12-16-2010, 06:33 PM   #23
Pilotdave

This is likely no surprise to any of you experienced A'ers, but I unplugged the conduit/wires from the other headlight socket to see how these were arranged. When I put it back together, I now get parking light and headlight when I turn on the parking lights. The contacts inside the socket are touching. That's what I get for disturbing something that's been working fine for ??? years!

So....enough!!!! I am replacing the plug/contacts with connectors.
Old 12-18-2010, 09:50 PM   #24
Pilotdave

Finished converting the headlight plug/socket setups to plug connectors today. Works great! Wonder why Henry and his engineers choose to use the plug & socket approach 80 or so years ago.......suppose it was the best arrangement available for the least cost?
Old 12-18-2010, 10:39 PM   #25
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilotdave View Post
Finished converting the headlight plug/socket setups to plug connectors today. Works great! Wonder why Henry and his engineers choose to use the plug & socket approach 80 or so years ago.......suppose it was the best arrangement available for the least cost?
Original parts work well. My 28 with fluted headlights and original plugs has very good headlights.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 10:44 PM   #26
LukeDahlinger
BANNED

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilotdave View Post
It was probably less hassle to install the light bar on a moving assembly line with the wires set up the way they were orginally.
Old 12-19-2010, 02:50 AM   #27
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTube View Post
So,

Would it be considered tacky if I solder a wire to the outside of the headlights and soldered the other end to the side of the radiator shell in plain view

I went to aim the headlights tonight and my grounds apparently stink. I seem to have a poor connection where the housing pivots. Guess i'll dig into it tomorrow.
Can you solder to Stainless?
Old 12-19-2010, 07:43 AM   #28
Pilotdave

Interesting point about ease of installation on a moving assembly line...but note that they were using new original parts. In my case someone had replaced the wiring harness which included using the wrong style terminal ends. This bowed the contacts in both sockets, leading to pretty strange results. I could have replaced the terminal ends and the headlight wiring sets on both sides....or gone the route I took. Lacking access to NOS sockets, I was influenced by the catalog description of the headlight wiring sets which indicated that they were "foreign and fair quality." Another factor was that the terminal ends on the wiring harness were fine for use with the wire connectors which are a steel sleeve inside a rubber tube. I removed the innards of the original sockets, running the wires through same and providing the J slots to attach the conduit connectors - the result looks original from the outside even if internally modified! We had the A out last night running over some pretty lumpy roads and the lights worked flawlessly.
My bet is that Henry's system works well if you have good quality parts that haven't been mistreated.....but not so well in other circumstances.
Old 12-19-2010, 10:17 AM   #29
MrTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
Can you solder to Stainless?
Don't know? It was a joke if no one noticed. Why would I solder to the outside of the headlight in plain view?
MrTube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 01:47 PM   #30
1931 flamingo

Nobody questioned because sometimes people do "strange" things. I won't tell you what I thought when I first saw the post.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 02:53 PM   #31
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Don't know? It was a joke if no one noticed. Why would I solder to the outside of the headlight in plain view?
i did not find your joke humorous and will think twice before offering any opinions on your future help requests. i did not think that it was originally a joke because some of the other posts you initiated were just a ridiculous.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 04:46 PM   #32
MrTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1931 flamingo View Post
Nobody questioned because sometimes people do "strange" things. I won't tell you what I thought when I first saw the post.
Paul in CT

I did find many responses helpful but I wouldn't have butchered a headlight bucket like that.
Old 12-19-2010, 04:57 PM   #33
MrTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch//pa View Post
i did not find your joke humorous and will think twice before offering any opinions on your future help requests. i did not think that it was originally a joke because some of the other posts you initiated were just a ridiculous.

Mitch, Although the comment was a joke the posting was not. I did want opinions and tips from people and always appreciated your responses. I am sorry you did not find it humorous.

Last edited by MrTube; 12-19-2010 at 06:10 PM.
Old 12-19-2010, 06:26 PM   #34
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Chris,
i originally read into it that the whole post was a joke including having a ground problem. i guess i got a little perturbed because people were genuinely trying to help you and the whole thread was a scam. my mistake for not seeing past that on your original post that you did have a problem but were kidding about the wiring to the outside of the bucket. you have my public apologie for the way i overreacted. as for my comment on other posts you initiated were just as ridiculous i just threw that in there to vent some steam. thanks for the therapy session time to go throw some weights around.
Mitch
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 06:30 PM   #35
MrTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch//pa View Post
Chris,
i originally read into it that the whole post was a joke including having a ground problem. i guess i got a little perturbed because people were genuinely trying to help you and the whole thread was a scam. my mistake for not seeing past that on your original post that you did have a problem but were kidding about the wiring to the outside of the bucket. you have my public apologie for the way i overreacted. as for my comment on other posts you initiated were just as ridiculous i just threw that in there to vent some steam. thanks for the therapy session time to go throw some weights around.
Mitch

Mitch,

I can understand that. I would never waste everyones valuable time like that on the Fordbarn.

I am sorry for giving such a vague response about the joke. It was my fault.
Old 12-20-2010, 12:20 AM   #36
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
I've been at this long enough to have read far worse and it was no joke!!
Old 12-20-2010, 09:00 AM   #37
MrTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
I've been at this long enough to have read far worse and it was no joke!!
By the way Mike, I do believe you can solder to stainless. I seem to recall seeing solder and flux for it on McMaster.