Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-04-2024, 12:19 PM   #1
Swingle

Default Value of an Un-Restored Model A Engine

Between my dad and myself, we have collected a collection of Model A engines and blocks. These range from just the block, with all the internal components, to a complete engine, with the transmission still attached.

As both my dad and I are both aging, and realizing that all these projects we had thought about will not be done, decided it is time to get rid of some of them.

The question is, what is the current going rate for an un-restored Model A engine? How much extra for the head? How much extra for the transmission?

Is it better to sell them, or take them in for scrap?
Swingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 12:40 PM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Value of an Un-Restored Model A Engine

Well, being brutally honest with you, -some may already be scrap. To the unknowing, you may get $100 for a complete core however it has been my experience that most engines as you describe are completely worn, and often the internal parts are not worth salvaging.

For example, if the block has any type of crack, the costs associated with repair exceed the value of the core. Yes, the crack can likely be repaired however the costs to do so are expensive, and most people who are wanting to purchase a core are not interested in buying one that has been cracked.

The next valuable piece is the crankshaft. Many have been improperly ground, -or the journal sizes have been reduced where they are 0.020" or greater undersized. At that point, the crankshaft will cost more to restore than the value if the crank making it a scrap item. So what you possibly have left is a camshaft core and/or connecting rod cores.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 12:41 PM   #3
midgetracer

Heads have no real value since most people use a high compression when rebuilding, so there is lots of them available for free. Transmissions are worth something if the gears are good. T would not buy one if I wasn't allowed to take the top off and look. Complete engine blocks are worth slightly more than scrap price since they are an unknown quantity.
a clean measures block is worth more. Not the best news, but what I believe to be reality.
Others may disagree.
midgetracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 12:49 PM   #4
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetracer View Post
Heads have no real value since most people use a high compression when rebuilding, so there is lots of them available for free. Transmissions are worth something if the gears are good. T would not buy one if I wasn't allowed to take the top off and look. Complete engine blocks are worth slightly more than scrap price since they are an unknown quantity.
a clean measures block is worth more. Not the best news, but what I believe to be reality.
Others may disagree.
Here is the thing about transmissions. They are too bloody heavy to ship. I had one that I was giving away. Not one taker. I pulled the gears out, cleaned them up and saw they were excellent. Turned around and sold them for $100 and I had a few guys lined up to purchase them at that price.

Swindle, the sad fact is it sounds like you've got some scrap on your hands.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 01:09 PM   #5
J Franklin

Mitchell's, that make the overdrive transmissions might need cases. Offer out the engines at a swap meet, your choice $150. and you might get rid of a few. Offer some to your local schools auto shop for an historical display. Maybe a museum would take one for display.
J Franklin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 02:09 PM   #6
JayJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetracer View Post
Heads have no real value since most people use a high compression when rebuilding, so there is lots of them available for free.
If they're flat and clean, $10 at a swap meet. I bought one to use as a guide when drilling out a broken head stud, sold it for the same $10 six months later.

------------------------
1930 Murray Town Sedan
1931 Briggs S/W Town Sedan
JayJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 03:07 PM   #7
WHN

As a long time Model A guy and antique collector, I hate to say this, but!

In my many years with these cars, I have never seen a engine that was just sitting in a garage or barn that was worth buying. Maybe some parts off it, but the block, no.

I have had great luck with engines in cars that have been sitting for many years. One sat for over 40 years. Car and it’s engine went on until I sold it in 2022 with just a new carburetor, rebuilt distributor, new timing gear, head, and leakless water pump. Car was put away during the war and not taken out of barn until 1980.

It’s like week old pizza in your refrigerator. Might still look good, but you don’t want to eat it.

Haze gray and underway.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 03:08 PM   #8
Flathead

Don't scrap them, there may be some good stuff there!! I am running a block that had been laying on the ground outdoors for years, it did need to be bored .100 oversize on the cylinders but it is crack free and undamaged. Does not run hot either. You never know.
Flathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 03:37 PM   #9
Gene F

Amazing not worth anything.... I needed a block, and my rebuilder charged me like $650. I had to buy type of thing.

One of our local club members died, and his engine was running, but tired. He replaced it. I paid $125 for it. No manifolds or carb, no water pump, and no flywheel.

I'd think if ya have a used engine on a running stand, that someone can see run they will be worth a lot more. Ya know, some people don't need the perfect engine. Some people do not really drive their A more than 50 miles a year.
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 03:40 PM   #10
Oldbluoval

You can scrap them now…or scrap them later. Especially, if it’s out of a car.
1 in 100 worth toting around.
Oldbluoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 03:53 PM   #11
Chris Haynes

Needing parts for my Burtz block I bought a core A engine for 50 bucks.
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 04:47 PM   #12
JayJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Haynes View Post
Needing parts for my Burtz block I bought a core A engine for 50 bucks.
I probably should have done that for my Burtz, instead I bought front covers, side cover, manifolds, flywheel housing, yada yada separately.

------------------------
1930 Murray Town Sedan
1931 Briggs S/W Town Sedan
JayJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 08:39 PM   #13
Joe K

When I have paid, which isn't often, I usually go $100 for an engine block WITH Flywheel/clutch and flywheel housing (which half the time are cracked.)

Bell housing runs $20 to $50 with the higher number if it includes pedals.

Transmission $75 to $100. Expect at least one gear to be trashed in a tranny and replacement of ALL the bearings is a certainty. I have bought a cracked transmission, but only for the guts within. $25 for those.

It's hard. Wife is quick to remind me that I may be buying these so my children can scrap them.

Joe K
Old 03-04-2024, 10:21 PM   #14
J Franklin

Good ballpark appraisal, all depending on condition of course.
J Franklin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 06:54 AM   #15
ronn

I get 75. for a trans and will pay 250 for a complete engine. its a lottery ticket.

none of this sells fast, as in a couple of years to sell.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 07:06 AM   #16
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene F View Post
Amazing not worth anything.... I needed a block, and my rebuilder charged me like $650. I had to buy type of thing.
Gene, actually what you purchased from your rebuilder was his 'time'. You paid $650 which covered the other engines that he had to disassemble and scrap because they were unusable because of value. Like I stated above, even though a cracked block may be repairable and have many years of great service, customers tend to balk at buying a block that has been repaired. Using yourself as an example, if you paid $650 for a core, would you be unhappy if you learned it was a cracked block that had been repaired??

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 08:42 AM   #17
eagle

Put them on a stand one by one. Pull the covers and head off, check the bore, bearings and for cracks. Checked good repairable engines are worth a few hundred each. Scrap the scrap. I see good engines going for $500 or more.
Old 03-05-2024, 08:50 AM   #18
Oldbluoval

Around here, you can’t even get people to haul them even if free.
Oldbluoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 09:51 AM   #19
dmar836

Lots of great suggestions but it sounds like he wants out. We’ve all been there - a project that stalled but has a good bit invested in it - you just lose the mojo and wisely acknowledge you don’t need to keep it around. Possessions can build up and become a mental burden. The last thing you want to do is re-enter the game by disassembly, spending time and money getting a motor running, joining or rejoining clubs, or spending weekends at swap meets. It’s a discouraging place to be. I’m there with an aircraft project with plenty invested and few willing to do such work any more.
Can’t speak for the OP, but this discouraging process is amplified by tire kickers and those who want the good stuff for a song to resell.
To the OP, if your attitude is indeed to get out you might be best served by selling it all as a project. Parting out may see a little more money but will likely not only mean courting many potential buyers(with the related hassle) and leave you with a lot of leftovers get scrap to get rid of. All this means you’ll be “active” in the hobby for, as previously stated, a couple years just to get a few hundred bucks.
JMO
Dave

Last edited by dmar836; 03-05-2024 at 09:58 AM. Reason: Corrections
dmar836 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 10:03 AM   #20
ronn

Dave, well said.

sometimes its hard to know when to foldem........

holding is always easy.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote