Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-08-2010, 06:20 AM   #1
vic

Default Throttle linkage gap

At the end of the spark lever rod and also the throttle lever rod there is a small arm about an inch long that makes contact with the accelerator linkages.Can these arms be bent so that they make proper contact[mine is about 1/8 inch out]or will they break ?Pretty trivial question I know,but a major if it breaks off.Many thanks for your advice.
Vic...enjoying a warm sunny December
vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 06:35 AM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Throttle linkage gap

Vic, while you can bend the control rods to "take up slack", and you can bend the lever on the throttle control assy, more than likely the issue is either you are using repro control rods that are the incorrect length, --or possibly the throttle control assy is bent out of tollerence. I would start by findng the correct length control rods, or making sure yours are the proper length.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 07:34 AM   #3
Clem Clement

At one time I had a ev-8 rod on my A. About 3/4" short giving me no top end to the carb. Golly on the way to Cinci I was a slow poke in our tour group.
Clem
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 07:59 AM   #4
Aerocraft

Unless those arms show signs of abuse, I suggest that you look somewhere else to take up the slack. I have straightened the small arms but have annealed them first.

Once you feel you have the correct control rods, I would first address the spark control. The steering column (if it has the later two tooth sector) can be rotated to adjust the travel. Once that is correct, I would look at the throttle assembly which is bolted to the back of the engine. It can be adjusted to take up all of the slack in the gas lever. Gar Williams

Last edited by Aerocraft; 12-08-2010 at 08:06 AM.
Aerocraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 11:42 AM   #5
Tom Wesenberg

Here are some pictures that may help some. When installed on the engine, the linkage is bent forward to a point where it almost touches the engine block. Also check the long thin forged arm on the right end of the linkage. It is easily bent and can easily be bent to the correct shape while cold (no need to heat it).

Follow the advice already given about making sure the steering column is turned to the correct position, etc.

Also, frame sag and body shimming can have a minor effect on the linkage, but I usually find the long thin forged arm on the right end of the linkage is bent and the steel rod on the left end is sometimes bent out of shape. This left end needs to be in the correct position and have an arc, so as it is pushed down the rod follows the hole in the floorboard without scraping on the edge of the wood.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 03:46 PM   #6
Aerocraft

The pictures are great, Tom. Much better than any number of words. Gar Williams
Aerocraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 03:08 AM   #7
vic

Thanks so much guys,the photos certainly clarify the issue...its just so good of you all to share your wisdom on this site.Can't wait to get under the bonnet and put it to rights.
vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 06:19 PM   #8
Richard Redmond

Vic,

I'm late in making a reply. Like you, my Roadster had quite a mismatch between the throttle control rod lever and the lever on the foot throttle assembly. I was reluctant to start bending these arms in case they broke.

As a temporary measure, I pushed a firm rubber collar onto one of the arms to take out the slack. I'll investigate and adjust when the Winter is over.

My car is RHD but I think we have the same issue.

Richard
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2935.jpg (44.6 KB, 56 views)
Richard Redmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 06:35 PM   #9
Grapejuice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Redmond View Post
Vic,

I'm late in making a reply. Like you, my Roadster had quite a mismatch between the throttle control rod lever and the lever on the foot throttle assembly. I was reluctant to start bending these arms in case they broke.

As a temporary measure, I pushed a firm rubber collar onto one of the arms to take out the slack. I'll investigate and adjust when the Winter is over.

My car is RHD but I think we have the same issue.

Richard
What a crazy coincidence. I just did the very same thing to my Sport Coupe this afternoon!

1930 Cabriolet (the newest project)
1929 Special Coupe (pieces n parts)
1928 Sport Coupe (the driver)
Grapejuice is offline   Reply With Quote