Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-23-2021, 07:12 PM   #1
50flatF3

Default New Flathead “Steaming” Exhaust

Hi all,
I have a freshly rebuilt and warmed over 8BA in my 50’ F3. After sitting the entire winter I went to start up the truck and immediately had white smoke or steam billowing from my exhaust.

Let’s backtrack to august, well I had coolant in my oil so I replaced the head gaskets with speedway copper gaskets and used permatex thread sealant on the bolts, which is my typical method for flatheads . The truck ran the rest of the fall without any issues or smoking.

So tonight upon another start up I still had the same issue. I let cool and re torqued the bolts and fired up again. Still smoking. I pulled plugs and noticed #8 plug was wet. None of the other plugs were wet or steam cleaned however both tailpipes were smoking and the truck has true duals. I plan to pull the heads tomorrow night to inspect. Is there anything I should look for on the gaskets? Would it be possible the permatex isn’t doing its job? Lastly what gaskets do you all run? Sealant for head bolts? I’m hoping it’s just head gaskets...

Thanks in advance

Sam
50flatF3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 07:34 PM   #2
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Default Re: New Flathead “Steaming” Exhaust

Was the block pressure tested before the rebuild? If you believe it's a small leak might try a block sealant first before taking it apart (pulling the heads).
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 07:48 PM   #3
50flatF3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
Was the block pressure tested before the rebuild? If you believe it's a small leak might try a block sealant first before taking it apart (pulling the heads).
Not to my knowledge, I don’t believe so. I will try that tomorrow before tearing apart.
Old 03-23-2021, 08:29 PM   #4
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Not much help now, but a flathead always needs to be pressure tested before working on them, that is if you want to avoid issues later on.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 10:33 PM   #5
flatjack9

I would not expect a cracked block if it ran well last fall.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 10:38 PM   #6
VeryTangled

What did the fresh build person say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50flatF3 View Post
Hi all, Let’s backtrack to august, well I had coolant in my oil so I... Sam
Sadly it seems that issue isn't sorted.

You said you're pulling the heads. Report back with that info. Hoping you're right about the gasket.

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 06:05 AM   #7
Bored&Stroked

My guess is that you have other issues other than the head gasket - but I surely hope not. The fact that you have a washed down plug pretty much means it is in the valve, port or combustion area. This is usually a much better place to have an issue than in a "not to be seen or screwed with" exhaust runner - which usually scraps the block. Checkout all your head gaskets first - and also pay very close attention to the transfer area - looking for cracks. If you have a pressure testing kit - you can pressure test the block while the engine is in the car - though obviously the heads have to be off and you'll need block-off plates for the water pumps. I bought my pressure test kit from Speedway - it works fine for the price.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 08:01 AM   #8
rotorwrench

Hopefully the truck wasn't exposed to a very cold winter condition that may have caused a freeze crack.

There are much better sealants available now that work better than the old Permatex. Modern gaskets like the Best brand may be an alternative to copper. I always used silver spray paint on the copper types. If there is no coolant in the oil then you may still have a valve pocket crack that opens up when hot. Those cracks in the siamese center exhaust ports are always a possibility as has been mentioned. With the open cross over in the manifold, the steam can get to both sides unless the ports are blocked.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 08:15 AM   #9
Henry Floored

First is this an .080 overbored (or more) engine? There are water passages that are very close to the cylinders at both ends of the 8BA style block. Furthermore if you have aluminum heads on top the mates to those holes could be very close to the cylinder margin.

With the copper head gaskets you are asking about an 1/8 to 1/4 inch (depending on if you are using big bore gaskets) to seal water next to the cylinder.

The thing that exacerbates the situation is the “fire ring” which goes around the cylinder and valves. The joint between the fire ring and where the actual deck sealing surface of the gasket causes a water problem.

I am currently fixing a Flathead with this problem. Feel free to message me if you want to know more about my dilemma.
Henry Floored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 09:12 AM   #10
50flatF3

Thanks all for the responses. The block is bored .060 over, I ordered some best gaskets graphtite gaskets last night so will try those. I am not showing any traces of coolant in my oil. The thing is I remember seeing the block after it was magnafluxed. 2 cylinders are sleeved other than that we did not find anything else. Also i live in northern iowa and my garage isn’t insulated however it’s usually substantially warmer in my garage. I have two other flatheads in the garage and no issues with those. I will report back with my findings once the heads are pulled.
Old 03-24-2021, 09:40 AM   #11
big job

Just my thoughts: smoke: black running rich blue Oil white with out loosing coolant very normal here. New or the old, clouds of white and dripping water. I see my kids
going to work and clouds of white coming out of the pipes new cars. My car a 46 same thing..I think its moisture and a temperature thing because my fathers new 1961 Lincoln started when cold would pour water and white its condensation. so all the pipes and cold mufflers has to get hot. Midis muffler for live guarantee put more mufflers on that car way into the 1970s.... On those were four way back so they never got hot ....I wouldn't worry but I would be concerned if in 80 degree weather.....the other Sam
big job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 06:05 PM   #12
50flatF3

I drained the coolant this afternoon and let the truck run briefly, no smoke at all. So it is a coolant issue. I pulled the heads, cleaned the copper spray off and could not find any visible cracks on the deck - not to say there are ones in other places. Here is a picture of the drivers side gasket. Anything jump out to anyone? Also I noticed a few of the head bolts by #8 cylinder were wet, I assume coolant was making its way up the threads. What do you guys think? There are black spots near the coolant ports going down the center of the gasket, is this where coolant leaks?

Sam
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 25881A41-7296-4DCE-93C4-B56D25E4E55F.jpg (32.7 KB, 186 views)
Old 03-24-2021, 06:25 PM   #13
Kurt in NJ

which end was #8, the cylinder at the bottom of the picture looks looks the whole area is suspect, yes the black areas are signs of possible problems in those areas, what does the other side look like
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 06:28 PM   #14
alanwoodieman

cylinder at bottom has a blown out bolt hole near the valve on end
alanwoodieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 06:36 PM   #15
Jack E/NJ

Agree with Kurt. If heads & deck mate well, I'd be tempted to use plain old composite gaskets & plenty of grease. 8^) Jack E/NJ
Jack E/NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 06:44 PM   #16
petehoovie

Yup!...."use plain old composite gaskets"....

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 07:01 PM   #17
50flatF3

8 was the bottom end, the other head looks similar. And the other side of the gaskets have the same black marks. Will the Best Gaskets “graphtite” gaskets suffice? I assume when you say composite you mean the ones that aren’t copper, like fel pros etc. also I called the engine builder and he said the block was pressure tested so I feel a lot better. What type of grease do you suggest?

Thanks guys, I appreciate the input!!
Old 03-24-2021, 08:12 PM   #18
petehoovie

Yes, the BEST GraphTite gaskets will work just fine. Use chassis lube grease...
http://bestgasket.com/vintage-engine-gaskets/

HEAD GASKET (GraphTite™)

521G-1 & 521G-2

Ford, Merc V8 8BA 1949-53

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 08:15 PM   #19
Jack E/NJ

Yes. FelPros & chasis/wheel-bearing grease. Jack E/NJ
Jack E/NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 08:39 PM   #20
flatjack9

Have you checked the heads to see if they are flat?
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote