Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-16-2015, 08:21 AM   #1
M2M

Question Current market value of Tudors

I've noticed that there are currently half a dozen nice older restoration Model A Tudors for sale for between $10-13K; and they don't seem to be selling.

That's not much more than a nice black era Model T and a lot cheaper than other Model A body styles. I've not driven a Tudor but I've been told that their biggest drawback are the front seats. Is this why they are so cheap and don't seem to be selling?

M2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 08:27 AM   #2
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Default Re: Current market value of Tudors

I have two and don't have a problem with the front seats...I do have the 6" adjusters installed as I like more leg room
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 08:37 AM   #3
burner31

OK, take this with a grain of salt because I am in no way an expert.
It's my understanding that the majority of model A's sold were Tudor models.
They were cheap and just what the growing American Family needed, and could afford.
Maybe there is a flood of them out there, but I see no bearing on price just because it's a Tudor, if the car is nice it's worth the price.
But then again...I'm learning to love these damn things. All of them.
Only have my first one for almost a year now, can't wait for my second, and it just may be a Tudor. Or a coupe, or a truck...or?
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 08:46 AM   #4
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

They are the most basic of all Model A's. They are usually a starting point but after that people want to move up to the more stylish vehicles. They have a place in the Model A world it's just not near the top. Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 09:08 AM   #5
M2M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch//pa View Post
I have two and don't have a problem with the front seats...I do have the 6" adjusters installed as I like more leg room
I don't think leg room is the issue, from what I understand. This is what a buddy wrote to me:

"I'd stay away from the 2-doors, though....Those seats are very
uncomfortable and non-supportive. They're like sitting on a knob,
rather than being cradled by the seat."

Perhaps he's right but you get used to them???

Old 09-16-2015, 09:18 AM   #6
P.S.

If your Tudor seat is uncomfortable, then it was reupholstered incorrectly.

My first Model A was a Tudor, and it is still my favorite. It is far more comfortable for the wife and I that any other body style, including our Fordor.

The Tudor has some big advantages also. For instance, there is no wood in the body for structural purposes, it is all metal. For another, it is a lot easier to weather seal a Tudor top than a Fordor because it is all one piece all the way across and down over the sides. The driver's entry and exit is easier in a Tudor than any other body style, especially when you turn the seat posts around. Likewise, the Tudor offers the most legroom for driver and passengers. Fordor rear seat passengers get the same, but not the driver.

Tudors seem to be less expensive in today's market for a variety of reasons. They are indeed plentiful. I was once told that half of all the Model As sold new were Tudors.

Mitch might back me up on this- I believe that if you could only own one Model A, and you intend to actually use it, then the Tudor might be the most practical of all.
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 09:24 AM   #7
M2M

I'm currently in the market for a black era Model T runabout or pickup, and have a wanted ad on this website, but it's proving difficult to find a decent car in that body style for under $10K and I'm looking everywhere.

A quality older restoration A Tudor for under $12K sure is tempting as long as I can live with the comfort level of the driver's seat.

Model As always used to cost at least 40-50% more than Ts. What's going on?
Old 09-16-2015, 09:43 AM   #8
SSsssteamer

I have owned and driven most of the Model A body styles at one time or another. The most practical body style for all around driving comfort and use I have found to be the Tudor. They were the most produced and they have been the largest number of survivors over the other body styles made. The simple body design having less wood than most of the others, has made the Tudor a most durable body and it is easily restored. Supply and demand sets the price. In this case, it is the large supply of Tudors which has made them the most affordable of the Model A Fords. Right now I am restoring a late '31 Model A pick up and just for parts, my bill's total is now over $10,000. With restorations costs nowadays , any well restored model A under $15,000 has to be bargain.
SSsssteamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 09:44 AM   #9
Tom Wesenberg

I don't mind the Tudor seats, but the Coupe and Fordor seats are definitely more comfortable. Pull 2 pins and you can install whatever seat you want, and adjust the seat location as easy as adding the tracks like Mitch did. That's one of the advantages of the Tudor. I agree for a one Model A owner, the Tudor is a great choice.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 09:53 AM   #10
P.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2M View Post

A quality older restoration A Tudor for under $12K sure is tempting as long as I can live with the comfort level of the driver's seat.

See the first sentence in post #5 above.
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 10:03 AM   #11
Gary Karr

I get in my Tudor after driving my Open Cab Pick Up and think, what a comfortable car this is! I have put many comfortable miles on my Tudor and don't find it uncomfortable in the least.
Gary Karr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 10:09 AM   #12
jimalabam

If you are interested in touring, both short and long. The Tudor will prove the one to beat. Lot of space and good riding quality. I agree if your seats are upholstered properly, they are comfortable, but not as plush as some of the other models. When I tour I am to busy looking at the scenery to notice any discomfort... As to pricing, yes it is supply and demand, as well as Condition - Condition - Condition...
jimalabam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 10:18 AM   #13
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Agree with P.S. And the others. The Tudor seats are comfortable and can't go wrong with that body style
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 03:54 PM   #14
Anteek29

Many were built...still are plentiful...priced lower accordingly.
1955 Victoria
Anteek29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 04:25 PM   #15
harleytoprock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anteek29 View Post
Many were built...still are plentiful...priced lower accordingly.
That's good for us Tudor lovers!
harleytoprock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 04:46 PM   #16
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Karr View Post
I get in my Tudor after driving my Open Cab Pick Up and think, what a comfortable car this is! I have put many comfortable miles on my Tudor and don't find it uncomfortable in the least.
You could get in a golf cart after driving an Open Cab pickup and think it was comfortable. I have an open cab pickup and they are less comfortable than any other car. Wayne

I
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 08:03 PM   #17
BILL WILLIAMSON

A Tudor would be my second choice, over a 5 window coupe.
Bill W.
Old 09-16-2015, 08:42 PM   #18
SeaSlugs

Well one of the obvious disadvantages is the same disadvantage on any 2 door car new or old: pain in the butt to get anyone over the age of 10 in the back seat!
Old 09-16-2015, 10:02 PM   #19
CWPASADENA

I tour with my Tudor. On a long tour last fall, I saw a lot of Tudors, not because they were less expensive but they are very practical and very easy to get into and out of. You can get a large quantity of stuff in the back seat area. True, they may not be as flashy as some of the other models but for me, and a lot of others, they make a great tour car. Some owners will install more modern bucket style seats if the car is used for long tours. I am not a big person and find my correctly upholstered original seats are just fine. I would not install modern seats in my car.

I have had owners say they also chose a Tudor so they can throw the grand kids in the back seat and not fear they will get the doors open and fall out.

I recently bought a Vicky, which is sort of a up-graded Tudor, a little larger and more comfortable seats, BIG doors to make getting in and out easy. Not quite as much room in the back as a Tudor but still a lot. I am in the process of making it into a car to tour with.

Just had a thought, If you had a Tudor and wanted upgraded but original looking seats, try to find some Vicky seats, they are wider and more comfortable. I think Vicky seats all the way thru '32 will fit. Mounting should be relative easy. The down side is they are a bit hard to find.

This is my experience and my opinion.
Chris W.
CWPASADENA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 11:01 PM   #20
Rowdy
BANNED

If using repop seat springs you have to remember there are 2 makers of these. The good ones are made by Snyders and I do not know who makes the others, but they are poorly made and flimbsy. I suppose you could liken them to sitting on a knob although I don't plan to find out. Rod