Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-26-2013, 07:21 PM   #1
pj the dj

Default Ammeter question

I'm new to the barn and need some information. How many amps should the ammeter show when the car is at idle? Also, how many amps with the car at idle and the headlights on? The generator is a new re-build from a vendor. I'm also getting a "tinny" sound from the water pump. It's leakless that's about a year old. Should I replace it or re-build? Lastly, I'm getting a backfire when I let off the gas while coming to a stop. I eliminated the condenser because it's a modern point and condenser distributor that's 2 weeks old. Any help is appreciated.
pj the dj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:51 PM   #2
mralternator
BANNED

Send a message via Yahoo to mralternator
Default Re: Ammeter question

Normal with an alternator is about 10 or less after start up, then slowly lowers to about 2-3 then 0, idle with lights on should still be in plus side as the amperage covers the lights and still extra to keep battery charged
mralternator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:48 PM   #3
Tom Wesenberg

If you have a stock generator with no electronic voltage regulator then I'd set the ammeter at 2 to 3 amps for daytime driving, and set it at about 10 amps for night driving. You set it at 10 amps with the lights off, then depending on how many amps the lights draw the ammeter will drop accordingly. Most people don't readjust the third brush for night and day driving, so it's best to install an EVR and have the benefits of full regulation.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 05:53 AM   #4
Patrick L.

To answer your question, it won't show any charge at idle and with the headlights it'll be in the -6 to -10 amp range. To check it just step on the brake with the engine running, depending on the bulbs it should show a -5 to -8 amps, same when turning on the headlights. The engine needs to be off idle and running at a pretty fast idle to show a charge and then it should be as Tom says depending on where the third brush is set.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 05:55 AM   #5
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj the dj View Post
I'm new to the barn and need some information. How many amps should the ammeter show when the car is at idle? Also, how many amps with the car at idle and the headlights on? The generator is a new re-build from a vendor. I'm also getting a "tinny" sound from the water pump. It's leakless that's about a year old. Should I replace it or re-build? Lastly, I'm getting a backfire when I let off the gas while coming to a stop. I eliminated the condenser because it's a modern point and condenser distributor that's 2 weeks old. Any help is appreciated.
Welcome!!!
Old 08-27-2013, 06:20 AM   #6
jmeckel

Your backfire problem could be that your carb GAV valve needs adjusting. When you say back fire is it a loud bang like a gun or just popping? Your GAV valve should be no more than 1 turn open if the carb is clean and working right. Try adjusting it and see if that helps.

"If you choose to not decide, you still have made a choice!" RUSH

Don't tell me what you know..... Tell me what you have done.
jmeckel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:34 AM   #7
mralternator
BANNED

An Alternator will always be able to carry all of the load of any accessories , with an alternator, even with your lights on you will not show a discharge , The alternator handles all loads and still sends a charge to your battery to maintain the full charge, only after a start up, when you take power from the battery to start will you then notice a higher reading on your ammeter and it will slowly lower as your battery is charged and eventually reach 0, meaning that your battery is fully charged , even while running accessories , This is the difference to a generator system , as the Generator can not handle the loads and still maintain a battery charge, especially while your lights on, this is because of the low amperage producing ability of the generator
Old 08-27-2013, 10:42 AM   #8
Patrick L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mralternator View Post
An Alternator will always be able to carry all of the load of any accessories , with an alternator, even with your lights on you will not show a discharge , The alternator handles all loads and still sends a charge to your battery to maintain the full charge, only after a start up, when you take power from the battery to start will you then notice a higher reading on your ammeter and it will slowly lower as your battery is charged and eventually reach 0, meaning that your battery is fully charged , even while running accessories , This is the difference to a generator system , as the Generator can not handle the loads and still maintain a battery charge, especially while your lights on, this is because of the low amperage producing ability of the generator

Shameless capitalism at its best ! Its what made this country great.
[ you know I'm teasing]
Old 08-27-2013, 12:54 PM   #9
Tom Wesenberg

I disagree with mralternator. My generator handles all the loads and keeps the battery charged just fine. With my lights on and at idle my ammeter is still on zero to 1 amp. My lights are bright and night driving if a pleasure, especailly now with the temps in the 90's and high humidity. Even if I needed more amps to run A/C I could add a larger generator.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 01:02 PM   #10
Patrick L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
I disagree with mralternator. My generator handles all the loads and keeps the battery charged just fine. With my lights on and at idle my ammeter is still on zero to 1 amp. My lights are bright and night driving if a pleasure, especailly now with the temps in the 90's and high humidity. Even if I needed more amps to run A/C I could add a larger generator.

True. Me too. And, I think I've mentioned this before. An alternator on an 'A' just ain't right.
Old 08-27-2013, 01:31 PM   #11
mralternator
BANNED

Obviously anyone has a right to disagree, BUT obviously People are having troubles with there generator providing enough of a charge , especially at low rpm, just a cpl post ago even Patrick stated how the ammeter would be in the negative and it also depends on how the 3rd brush is adjusted, To not speak of the fact that an ALTERNATOR takes care of this problem as an option is to be misleading and self indulgent, to hide the specification difference and other available option,, Now before the same people add the names of who makes this and who makes that alternative, as it seems to be the continued norm, To Not include The unbiased fact that an alternator DOES provide an option and an IMPROVEMENT to the system so many are complaining about , would be untrue and selfish in direction. We all understand personal choices of NOT having an alternator ,we see this spoke of more than enough.
especially from the one and only minus, APPEARENCE,, But the fact remains it is an improvement in every arena of performance and reliability and obviously would solve the many issues continually addressed in this forum with the generator not being able to support there system
Old 08-27-2013, 02:25 PM   #12
marc hildebrant

There is really only two advantages of an alternator over a generator and that is the alternator is more efficient and most likely made of better materials than the generator.

I have an alternator because it was with the car when I bought it. I plan to remove it in the future.

Marc
marc hildebrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 03:10 PM   #13
mralternator
BANNED

I am actually replacing 2 generators today with an alternator kit because of issues of under charging and ability to keep up with there added accessories , let alone the continual burning up of the generator from charging at too high of a rate and the simplicity of installing the alternator kit, so I guess it all works its way out, as long as every one is satisfied with the results.