Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-08-2011, 07:29 PM   #1
Fordors

Default To what end?

Maybe this point has been mentioned already but I haven't seen it so here goes. Lee Roy Hartung amassed a huge collection of stuff, but other than feeding his obsession what was the point? The poor soul could have been featured on the "Hoarders" reality show. Tens of this, dozens of that, but never a personal use for any of it, yet others could have benefited had he let go. Sorry, but I don't see the point to a hoard like that. Gotta admit though, there was some cool stuff, but most went for crazy money.
Fordors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 08:13 PM   #2
700rpm

Default Re: To what end?

Well, I would say in his own way he must have benefitted from that collection. Others might have liked to have this thing or that for their own purposes, but he got there first and that fit his purposes. How many of us here have a stash of stuff that maybe we just like to have? Sure, somebody might have a use for my NOS doodah that I'm not using...right now. But I was pleased as punch to find it and I still might use it someday. It's just another flavor of the old car hobby.

And in the end it did benefit the hobby. He probably saved a lot of stuff that would otherwise have been thrown out because he recognized an intrinsic value where others may not have. And ultimately, that stuff became a great single source for rare automobile goodies, and has now found itself out into the world again. I think he actually did us all a favor.

Last edited by 700rpm; 11-08-2011 at 08:17 PM. Reason: added comment
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 09:24 PM   #3
BILL WILLIAMSON

I wonder if they had a pack of RAT TERRIERS on duty as they drug all that crap out. If I had lived close, I would have volunteered Buster T. Brown, my Super Rat Terrier so he could practice his skills.

Last edited by BILL WILLIAMSON; 11-08-2011 at 09:25 PM. Reason: typo
BILL WILLIAMSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 09:37 PM   #4
BILL WILLIAMSON

Ponder this: Most folks that are older now, contributed their scrap iron to the WW11 war effort! Hmmmm.
Old 11-08-2011, 09:39 PM   #5
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordors View Post
Maybe this point has been mentioned already but I haven't seen it so here goes. Lee Roy Hartung amassed a huge collection of stuff, but other than feeding his obsession what was the point? The poor soul could have been featured on the "Hoarders" reality show. Tens of this, dozens of that, but never a personal use for any of it, yet others could have benefited had he let go. Sorry, but I don't see the point to a hoard like that. Gotta admit though, there was some cool stuff, but most went for crazy money.
based upon your written/statements/ideas, MOST everyone (mabe excepting beginners) who participates in this hobby....could be classified as a hoarder !
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 09:42 PM   #6
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

To what end?

His end of course. It made him happy and in the end isn't that what really matters?

I don't pretend to understand it, to me it's like taking a perfectly good looking, well running Model A and turning it into a hot rod. Those that do it defend it to the end because hot rods make them happy. I get disgusted because stock cars make me happy.
Old 11-11-2011, 01:44 AM   #7
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtimes View Post
based upon your written/statements/ideas, MOST everyone (mabe excepting beginners) who participates in this hobby....could be classified as a hoarder !
Hoarding is no fun, giving away stuff is the most rewarding for me. Sometimes I get something in return, but that doesn't matter. I gave an old "BUFFALO" forge to a friend, and he acted like I gave him a Driveable Model A!
I know of a fella who GAVE a driveable '30 coupe to a friend!
The most fun is when you give away something you REALLY like. I'm sure that ST. PETER won't let you bring your hoard inside!
Old 11-11-2011, 07:14 AM   #8
Great Lakes Greg

A good friend of mine hoards 60's autos on his farm. Despite being a very nice individual, he is somewhat dillusional with the plan to "fix them up someday". Meanwhile, they rot further into the earth every year, and he has never turned a wrench on a single car. Keeping a couple of interesting parts on the shelf is one thing, while allowing good cars to die is quite another.
Great Lakes Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 07:49 AM   #9
jim1932

I think a lot of it is their way to bank money. They don't trust the banks and figure this stuff won't loose value. What they don't necessarily get is the mess their estate has in selling it all. It usually goes out in a large auction for bargain prices, rather than an orderly sale.
jim1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 08:45 AM   #10
hop up

I got a chance to go to the auction and met a number of folks that knew Lee as a friend . I too had gone to the Hartung museum a number of times 14 plus and was in WOW when I went home. Most folks were not happy with Lee because he would sell them what they wanted but would do a bit of horse trading and buying from you not from him. He collected goodies and had a good eye and some luck finding and holding onto them. He bought the Flying Merkel Motorcycle for 28 dollars and it sold for 175k and yea he had all paper work for it. He also had paper work for everything and org. So he knew his stuff with alll the NOS parts he collected at swapmeets and filling his model a roadster to the gills. Yea maybe he got out of hand but he also was a scrapper and scrappers hold onto scrap metal till they go up, I guess it just didn't reach his price. Thank you Lee
Old 11-11-2011, 09:40 AM   #11
Bruce

I didn't know Lee Roy Hartung and I did not have the opportunity to tour his museum, so don't misunderstand this comment; it is not personally about Mr. Hartung and his happiness fix. I just know that the Model A stuff I've managed to accumulate and fill my garage and shed with releases endorphins in my brain that just make me smile. Nothing better than having Jan sit out there in the garage and talk to me while I move things around in my "collection." I am also sure that my selfless efforts have saved lots of good parts from the evil clutchs of those dasdardly horders.
As for heaven ... who is to say that there won't be a wonderful parade through the Pearlly Gates? And, just in case there will be, we should all keep our ahoooga horns oiled and our fenders polished! (Sort of like Matthew 22:1-14.)
Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 11:13 AM   #12
28RPU

You are not Lee Roy Hartung so there is no way for you to understand why he wanted to collect stuff he liked and put it away instead of collect stuff he liked and then get rid of it. Don't try to understand someone elses reasoning if it doesn't hurt you.
Just think of all that stuff that would have been in a landfill or recycled if he had not put it in his museum. I love hoarders, they save a lot of stuff that is not valuable but later becomes quite valuable.We have a throw away society, thats why there are so many rarities out there.
28RPU is offline   Reply With Quote