Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-28-2021, 05:45 PM   #21
Gene F

Default Re: Crankshaft pulley - cast iron, steel or aluminum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Bjarnason View Post
I apologize my cut 'n paste was so messed up. But, you get the idea, anyway.
Paul, who was the vendor?
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 06:08 PM   #22
Pete

For that much modification, it is a BAD SCENE to not have a damper.
The heavier the better, even if you have to trim the front cross member a 1/4 inch.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 07:41 PM   #23
bobbader

I'll comment here, not to scold, but to make an observation from a vendor point of view. I think Fordbarn and all such message boards are a valuable asset to the hobby and a godsend. However, many times we see similar threads to this wherein somebody starts with how many dollars they spent with a rebuilder or vendor (which $$$$$$ often bowl people over). The next statement is about something that went wrong or some item they (or their friends) thought they maybe should have gotten for the price. Many people chime in with good intentions and different opinions about what went wrong or what the person "should have gotten" for the money. All well and good. We barners responded to what was asked of us. But ..................... for that "bowl me over" price (or whatever price was paid in exchange for any part or service), shouldn't the first one to be contacted be the vendor or rebuilder? Don't they deserve the first word on the subject. I'm in agreement with the person who answered that "if the rebuilder didn't see a problem with the pulley supplied on the $10K engine, you should be OK". But then, there's the discussion about an aluminum pulley and whether it will ruin a crank seal or not. That's not the case here and I applaud the decision to order the steel pulley to put your mind at ease. I totally understand. But, there could be a difference in fit to the crank seal between the pulley now on the engine and the steel pulley which will replace it. OR, in the process of replacing the pulley, perhaps the seal could get damaged without anyone's knowledge. In either case, an oil leak at the pulley might occur. Is that when the rebuilder gets a call?

All I'm saying is, the first call should be to said rebuilder asking his opinion and discussing who might be responsible, down the line, should a problem occur. When the price started at $3500 and ended at $10K, I'm assuming you OK'd all those extras. The two of you consulted and you made a educated decision on those extras. There's no indication here that you've already consulted with about the pulley. If you did, fine. If not, trust him to consult on this matter based on his experience specializing in Model A engines "Day in and Day out" ..................... or more specifically ............. based on him already having a relationship with every part of that $10K motor that left his shop.

Good luck. Bob Bader
bobbader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 08:41 PM   #24
J Franklin

"trust him to consult on this matter based on his experience specializing in Model A engines "Day in and Day out" ..................... or more specifically ............. based on him already having a relationship with every part of that $10K motor that left his shop.

Good luck. Bob Bader[/QUOTE]

Totally agree, and glad you brought it up.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 09:50 AM   #25
KMeredith87

I broke a cast pulley before....however, my own fault. The ratchet nut either did not get tightened properly or it backed off somehow before I noticed. Pulley slipped forward and busted the collar. Ended up causing an overheat and I spun a main as I have inserts, costly mistake. I replaced it with a bullet pulley and was impressed with the quality of the piece. I’m sure cast would be fine but like you I choose to eliminate possible future failures. Not to mention I made sure it got torqued properly 😬
KMeredith87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 07:49 AM   #26
Paul Bjarnason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Sea/Tac View Post
If it’s full pressure, then it should have the modern seal which goes on a polished pulley shaft. If you change pulleys, no warranty.

OK, thanks for the advice. I have given up on changing out the pulley because I have been unable to remove the second part of the two-piece pulley -- and, as you suggest, if I were to disturb the seal installed by my engine rebuilder, it could cause a front seal leak, which I do not want. So, I'm sticking with the two-piece pulley. Thanks, again.
Paul Bjarnason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 07:56 AM   #27
Paul Bjarnason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene F View Post
Paul, who was the vendor?

Hi Gene -

If you send me an e-mail to "[email protected]" I will tell you, but I don't want to post the name here, because I am not unhappy with my rebuilder -- he didn't do anything wrong. The choice of pulley is not something we discussed -- so, my rebuilder put the pulley of his choice on my motor. I didn't start thinking about the pulley until I got the motor back home. Now, since I have been unable to get the second part of the two-piece pulley off (without opening the front of the motor up, which I don't want to do) I have decided to leave it alone.

Best.

Bj
Paul Bjarnason is offline   Reply With Quote