Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-15-2020, 09:02 PM   #1
3twinridges

Default F1 3 speed transmission question

I rebuilt a 3 speed transmission a few years back. We put it in our 52 F1 build and it leaked pretty bad, all of the usual places. I rebuilt another one using all NOS parts including the case. It runs well.

I am circling back on the first rebuild to correct the leaks so I have a ready spare. When I drained the oil I had brass specks in the bottom of the case. Is that normal, to have brass specks from the synchros on first break-in? I used GL4 gear oil.

JB
3twinridges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 10:12 PM   #2
alanwoodieman

Default Re: F1 3 speed transmission question

push the syncro up onto the 2nd gear taper and see what you have for clearance between the syncro teeth and the gear teeth. I have a 49 F1 with a bad trans and the case is full of brass shavings and I think the PO put GL5 trans fluid as it looks more like it dissolved the brass rather than wore it out. I have not removed it yet but it is on the rack to do so.
alanwoodieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 03:24 PM   #3
rotorwrench

Some bad synchro blocker rings have been produced in the modern era that don't fit and function well. Either the blocker taper can be wrong or the notches on the end of the tapers can be of incorrect dimensional size. Mac VanPelt can give you particulars about the fit up when checking these. If they don't fit right then they don't work right.

Other sources for yellow metals would be the 2nd gear inner bushing, the reverse idler gear bushing, and the big thrust washer in the back of the trans case. Any of these items can wear and make metal.

A cracked case between the main shaft and counter shaft bores can leak. The rear yoke seal can leak. If it has a front main input seal then those can leak as well.
rotorwrench is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 05:24 PM   #4
3twinridges

Thanks bud, it’s just weird that I have flakes and transmission has maybe 5 miles on it.

JB
3twinridges is offline   Reply With Quote