Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-20-2020, 01:47 PM   #1
Burt Lake Barn

Default Recommendation throttle pedal (pull) rod replacement

I put a 1949 8BA flathead with an Edlebrock intake and three Holley 94’s in a 1947 Ford pickup and attempted to use a typical ford accelerator pedal and push rod to operate the center carb. I have a good progressive linkage from a reputable source on this and the carbs all open up correctly but the mechanical (pull) pedal linkage does not give me enough throw to fully open the carbs with the pedal to the floor. Suspect the firewall distance to center carb is different so I want to switch to a cable type system, replacing the old foot pedal mechanical system with something that will get me the throw I need. I’m looking for a recommendation on a product and a source, that someone may know of that is adjustable and will work with my flathead. Would love to find a single source if possible to get the pedal, cable and associated brackets that I will need. I’ve been looking but there seems to be endless components available to choose from but I’d like to find something that will be somewhat designed for and proven out for my flathead application. Advice, ideas or practical experience will be greatly appreciated.
Burt Lake Barn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 02:46 PM   #2
F-ONE

Default Re: Recommendation throttle pedal (pull) rod replacement

I can't see your problem so bear with me.
First let me say that you may not need 100 percent linkage lock. I may be wrong but in any factory system there always seems to be "some left". There may be a safety factor. IE you bottom on the floor rather than bottoming on the carburetor linkage or the carburtor throw itself.

Going through the linkage for multi carburetors you may have some diminishing return or loss of throw going through the linkage. If all you can get is just off idle or never open the third carburetor, yeah, that's a problem.

I assume this '47 is not unlike the F1. If so that rod can be adjusted. It can be lengthened with coupling or shortened by cutting and threading the adjustment rod. It also can be bent.
Untitled by Travis Brown, on Flickr

This was a straight F1 rod bent, shortened and threaded. Also you may want to consider, building your own rod.

Shoebox Central has a cable set up. This is one example of aftermarket...
https://shoebox-central.com/throttle...elerator-pedal

Also the 1965-1966 Ford F-100 used a cable for the 240/300/352V8. This is a factory set up.
F-ONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 09:33 PM   #3
Bursonaw

I had a similar issue with my car. My carburetors are are on a slingshot manifold setting up high, so pulling with an original style rod change in the geometry and did not allow to pull the carbs full open travel. Once I designed something that pulls straight everything worked properly. Using the return spring in the original gas pedal assembly and adding coil return springs to each carburetor throttle shaft helps keep the throttle cable tight when closing the throttle.

I used some copper tubing and lined it with some refrigerator nylon water line so the cable sides easy in the tube. The mounting bracket is made from angle iron cut and drilled to shape.

Throttle shaft return spring. Make sure you get the correct spring, the Holley 94 uses a different spring than the Stromberg 97.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Bursonaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 01:18 PM   #4
Burt Lake Barn

Thanks for your replies. I’ll probably go with the shoebox-central pedal/cable combination, and I found a good Lokar cable mounting bracket at speedway. (Lokar TRP-4006 Stainless 3 Bolt Carb Throttle Cable Mounting Bracket). Appreciate the info. BTW, Bursonaw has a real nice set up. Nice work.
Burt Lake Barn is offline   Reply With Quote