Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-12-2010, 09:39 PM   #1
vic

Default floatamotor

The floatamtor kit comes in three parts;two are engine supports and the third bolts onto the gear box?I am at a loss as to where the third component attaches itself to.It bolts on correctly to the gearbox but I can't find a part of the car for the rest of it to bolt onto...Can anybody help....thank you for taking the time to answer this query.
vic in cool cloudy Auckland.
vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 09:48 PM   #2
tuneman

Default Re: floatamotor

The third is mounted to the front of the engine! Where the front engine mount is located
tuneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 10:14 PM   #3
vic

Thanks for that and I know the one you mean but,this one I'm pretty sure mounts on the gearbox or thereabouts.Appreciate your answer nevertheless.
thanks Vic
Old 10-12-2010, 10:19 PM   #4
Jason in TX

Should a balanced crank motor still vibrate the car without a float a motor?

I have a car with float a motor and stock crank, and it seems to vibrate less than a car with a balanced motor but solid motor mounts...
Jason in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 10:20 PM   #5
TinCup

It mounts to the ujoint housing and rests on the cross member with a rubber block.
TinCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 11:07 PM   #6
steve s

If this thread goes on for very long, you will hear a diversity of very definite pronouncements of what that part is for, including (1) help support the weight of the motor, and (2) keep the motor from tilting back if you hit a bump and are using a different front motor mount that is sometimes alleged to be part of the FOM package.

FWIW, I have taken mine in and out countless times trying and have never been able to discern a difference in vibration isolation. I had to trim the rubber block a bit to get it to fit in its spot on top of the cross member lip. Also, had to grind some metal off the bracket to get it to mate reasonably well against the U-joint cap. I'm not sure, but I think I must have been driving without it since I had my OD trans put in a few years ago--haven't missed it yet.

Steve
steve s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 11:46 PM   #7
vic

I'm pretty sure you are right...it was on the car previously,taken off by the panel beater who can't figure out where it goes except that it bolts to the universal housing.So apparently it must act as a loose cushion between the drive tube and the cross member.Thanks again
Vic
Old 10-12-2010, 11:51 PM   #8
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elrod View Post
Should a balanced crank motor still vibrate the car without a float a motor?

I have a car with float a motor and stock crank, and it seems to vibrate less than a car with a balanced motor but solid motor mounts...
A proper engine should not vibrate balanced crank or not.

Installation instructions
Old 10-13-2010, 12:30 AM   #9
ford1

Mike, i fully disagree with yor statement on engine viberation, any unbalanced crankshaft engine will viberate, ( CAUSE THE ENGINE AND CAR BODY TO SHAKE), no matter how well its set up if you dont believe me put a glass of water on your hood with the engine running and see what happens, why do you think ford went to a balanced crank in late 32? and why do all car makers balance there engines? to get rid of viberation is why
ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 12:34 AM   #10
ford1

Elrod, if you tighten the side motor mounts to tight the motor will viberate just like the solid motor mounts
ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 04:05 AM   #11
Kevin - Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford1 View Post
Elrod, if you tighten the side motor mounts to tight the motor will viberate just like the solid motor mounts
Very good point, and there is a fine line on too tight and loose. Good luck trying to find it Elrod. I found them to be a waste of time and money, both the front & rear. I still have them on the rear but returned to the original front mount.
Kevin - Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 08:14 AM   #12
steve s

Vic,

Do you have the little rubber block that snugs between the mystery bracket and the lip on the crossmember? Theres also a small metal plate that holds the block down and bolts onto the bracket. It sounds like those may be missing for you.

Otherwise, guys seem to be confusing motor vibration and motor vibration isolation. Balancing affects the former; motor mounts affect the latter.

Steve
steve s is offline   Reply With Quote