Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-02-2013, 11:50 AM   #21
CarlG

Default Re: Reasons to add an overdrive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Brierley View Post
OD's give the best of both worlds. You still have the low gears for pulling away from the stop sign or pulling hills, but you don't have to use the OD all the time. The OD gives really nice cruising at speed. ...
That's kinda the approach I took. The lower engine speed at 50-55mph, hence the lower noise level is just great!. And I solved the "extra lever" situation as mentioned above (post #9 by Greg) by installing the F150 4-speed OD. Best of both worlds!
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:31 PM   #22
Jason in TX

With an overdrive, you fill up less often also because you aren't running wide open.

This was a benefit we noticed when touring with people without them. Other cars in the group were getting nervous that they were needing a gas stop and we would still have a 1/4 tank.
Jason in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:52 PM   #23
Jordan

The people who don't have overdrives, are the people who don't like them. I've never personally heard of someone who got one, and then hated it so much that they took it out.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:47 PM   #24
Purdy Swoft

I wouldn't do it! On the other hand, installing an overdrive would be a far better choice than changing to the 3.27 ratio ring and pinion. I've never ran an overdrive on any of my model A's.. Back in the day when overdrives were popular (49 thru the mid fifties) most cars with overdrives used a 4.11 rear gear ratio. This practice was used to help off set an overdrive ratio that was too tall to use with the gear ratio used with the same cars that wasn't equiped with overdrive. The old Lincoln Zepher overdrive used a 4.44 ratio to off set the low speed power loss caused by use of the overdrive and they had V8 or V12 engines. I feel that 3.78 is the best ratio for the model A. Model A's are way underpowered in comparison to any modern car. Lowering the RPM reduces pep and increases the danger of lugging the engine. I have noticed that model A people that are really in the know use the 4.11 ring and pinion when using an overdrive. I'm Not tring to step on anybodies toes, you asked for opinions and this is mine.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:00 PM   #25
Dave in MN

I have a stock '28 CCPU...45-50 is the max it ever gets driven. I take short trips in the CCPU mostly alone...seldom with my wife and less than 600 miles a summer. I'd never put one in this rig. I have had a Mitchell in my Phaeton for over 50,000 miles. You could not get me to take it out...I like it! With the Phaeton, we take longer trips and the reduced (engine) noise is a good thing. I have cast iron drums on all 4 wheels...well tuned to lock up on pavement if necessary. We are planning an 8,000+/- mile jaunt this coming summer with a couple mountain legs and would not enjoy it as much without the overdrive.
Opinions vary as you have seen from the previous posts...in the end it's about what you want and how you want to drive. The nice thing about a Mitchell is that the car suffers no permanent/irreversible changes. If you save the removed components and keep them with the car, the Mitchell can be removed and all is the same as before the installation. About the only thing to get cut up is the floor boards and front mat. Order a new mat and floor board and cut them instead of your originals if you really want to be preserving the car. Good Day!
Dave in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:16 PM   #26
oldguy41

I have a f150 overdrive with a chevy clutch, juice brakes. 70 mph all day long. Mitchell is nice, but if you can machine parts, f150 is the way to go.
oldguy41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:56 PM   #27
steve s

because when you were a kid you sang that song about having a high compression head and overdrive, and now you can!
steve s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:04 PM   #28
miss victoria

I think that was hot rod lincoln ?
miss victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:05 PM   #29
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
The people who don't have overdrives, are the people who don't like them. I've never personally heard of someone who got one, and then hated it so much that they took it out.

Not to be argumentative as I feel I know where you are coming from but being honest, I have. We personally have taken out three or four units ourselves, and the biggest reason I hear of them coming out is due to the ride quality. If someone is used to good springs and a good ride, then the unsprung weight of the O/D causes the car to ride rougher. Also, the rear seat floor pan in some of the bodystyles require the transmission to be mounted even further rearward which kinda exacerbates the problem.

On the other hand, I cannot remember if it was Steve Becker or Sammie Gutherie that once told me that on several occasions they have removed F150 transmission conversions and exchanged them for Mitchell O/D because of their mountains out west and being able to split-shift. As Jordan kinda said, it is all in what you like.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:11 PM   #30
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
On the other hand, I cannot remember if it was Steve Becker or Sammie Gutherie that once told me that on several occasions they have removed F150 transmission conversions and exchanged them for Mitchell O/D because of their mountains out west and being able to split-shift. As Jordan kinda said, it is all in what you like.
And of course then there's the guy in our club that has a Mitchell, and after seeing my F150 set-up wants to take his Mitchel out and put an F150 in. (It remains to be seen if he will or not)

The grass is always greener . . . . .
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:12 PM   #31
Chris Haynes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
Why do you need to switch the grease fittings?

If they are original now, then just use the original grease gun or buy an adaptor for a modern grease gun. I like the original fittings and use my original gun, and they work great.

If they are now modern fittings, then I can understand you wanting to return to original fittings.
I don't believe that Jiffy Lube has a gun for the original fittings.
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:15 PM   #32
Chris Haynes

Quote:

Not to be argumentative as I feel I know where you are coming from but being honest, I have. We personally have taken out three or four units ourselves, and the biggest reason I hear of them coming out is due to the ride quality. If someone is used to good springs and a good ride, then the unsprung weight of the O/D causes the car to ride rougher. Also, the rear seat floor pan in some of the bodystyles require the transmission to be mounted even further rearward which kinda exacerbates the problem.

The only problem I see with this logig is that the OD is unsprung weight. It is weight on the axles, not on the springs.
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:21 PM   #33
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Haynes View Post
The only problem I see with this logig is that the OD is unsprung weight. It is weight on the axles, not on the springs.
Exactly, it is! That is what causes it to ride rougher. Using lighter suspension parts will aid in this. This is one of the downsides to having a driveline overdrive transmission mounted that far rearward.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 01-02-2013, 05:21 PM   #34
Jordan

Quote:

Well I guess there's a first for everything, but I sure laughed when I read that. Not at you of course- but to think that someone would use that as a reason. If you have a pile of overdrives laying around, maybe you'll sell them to me at a bulk price . Model As are kind of bouncy, but maybe these people experienced that with faster speed, their model a's became bouncier? Who knows....To each is their own I guess.

If I was always traveling in the mountains, I too would probably get a mitchell.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:26 PM   #35
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
Well I guess there's a first for everything, but I sure laughed when I read that. Not at you of course- but to think that someone would use that as a reason. If you have a pile of overdrives laying around, maybe you'll sell them to me at a bulk price . Model As are kind of bouncy, but maybe these people experienced that with faster speed, their model a's became bouncier? Who knows....To each is their own I guess.

If I was always traveling in the mountains, I too would probably get a mitchell.
Yeah, I agree. I will save you up a pile of them the next time we get some. I'll even give you a shout the next time we get one in and you can have first rights to it!

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 01-02-2013, 07:38 PM   #36
steve s

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss victoria View Post
I think that was hot rod lincoln ?
Similar but different song; don't recall name of one I'm thinking of. Here's Commander Cody's--Lincoln V8 in a Model A:

Have you heard the story of the hot rod race
Where the Fords and Lincolns were settin' the pace?
That story is true I'm here to say
I was drivin' that model A.

It's got a Lincoln motor and it's really souped up
That a Model A body makes it look like a pup
It's got eight cylinders and uses 'em all
Got overdrive, just won't stall

With a four barrel carb and dual exhausts
With four-eleven gears you can really get lost
Got safety tubes, but I ain't scared
The brakes are good, the tires fair
Old 01-02-2013, 07:51 PM   #37
steve s

I think this is the one I'm after.

If You Don't Know, I Ain't Gonna Tell You Lyrics

by George Hamilton IV

Well back in the country in my hometown I'm the coolest fastest man around
I got a hot rod car and you oughta see it run
I went out ridin' with a friend of mine we started passin' everybody way down the line
And I felt pretty good and boy we was havin' fun
Suddenly I didn't feel so fine cause a highway cop pulled up behind
So I asked my friend if the cop was after me
He just sat there shakin' all over like ol' Elvis Presley and said
Well if you don't know I ain't gonna tell you from now on it's up to you fellow
Words don't count at a time like this

There was a little blonde lived down on the corner
All the boys thought that she was a goner
So I got me a date and we went for a ride one night
We rolled along and I held her hand I felt just like a grown up man
Till she stood over close and hugged me up real tight
I started to stop to get out and run but I didn't wanna miss out on all the fun
So I asked her to teach me to spoon beneath the moon
She just looked up at me and winked them big beautiful blue eyes and said
Well if you don't know I ain't gonna tell you from now on it's up to you fellow
Words don't count at a time like this
[ guitar ]
Well I finally wised up and I learned all the tricks
And now I'm the coolest cat in the sticks
And I've got more gals than anybody else I know
I drink white lightnin' and I travel mighty far
I like pretty gals and souped up cars
I'm a travelling man and I'm always on the go
There's some bootleg liquor bein' sold in town
And the sheriff's been huntin' all around
But nobody knows who the manufacturer is
You ask me why I drive a hot rod coupe DeLuxe
With three carburetors straight stick shift souped up engine
High compression heads and overdrive
You don't know I ain't gonna tell you from now on it's up to you fellow
I think you know just what I'm talking about
Old 01-03-2013, 01:10 AM   #38
TerryH

It only took me one ride in a good friends 1930 Roadster to convince me that a Mitchell was the way to go, so when I got my 1930 Town Sedan I had one installed along with the Snyder 5.5 head, cast iron drums, and floaters. I wanted a car that I could drive on California tours as well as around town.
To me, the 3.78 gearing is pretty good for a Model A, but it also feels like it is begging to shift at 45-50 mph, and I know a well balanced Model A will run all day at 55. But the smoothness and quiet ride that happen are, for most of us, just great.
I think it all boils down as to how you are going to use your car........if you drive it a lot and don't want to putt and need to keep up with traffic, then the OD is well worthwhile. I also don't think that most Model A owners have those finely balanced engines that some describe....at least our local club does not; most of those who do not have OD will not drive on the freeway at all or very limited. As far as just driving slowly and enjoying the car as it is, I am sure that is fine in some areas, but I like to drive my A several times a day in S. California and I think it is actually a little dangerous to drive too slow, at least here.
As to brakes, unless you are going to upgrade to larger tires, I don't think going to hydrualics is going to gain you anything, as others have said, properly adjusted mechanical brakes will already lock up the tires. Also, here in S. California we often travel in the mountains, and the Mitchell in 2nd OD is great for many of the steeper sections.
Before deciding, I would sure recommend riding and/or driving one. I have also never met an unhappy Mitchell owner in our area, but can't speak for everyone!
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:16 AM   #39
Pat Martone

I also have a Mitchell overdrive in my sedan and wouldn't be without one.

In my mind there are 3 primary benefits:

- An overdrive gear for traveling at 50-55 mph at more comfortable engine rpms, reducing them by approximately 500-600 rpms.
- The gear-splitting capability which comes in handy in unique situations in traffic when 2nd gear is too high and 3rd gear would be lugging the engine, like on short hills. In this situation, I use second gear in the transmission, with the high-gear in the Mitchell which gives me what I call a 2.5 gear.
- The ability to put the car in neutral via the Mitchell shifter, allowing me to downshift the transmission without grinding.

I do not travel on highways and rarely ride over 50-55 mph, but I do participate in long distance club tours where the speeds can average 50 mph, and I feel the Mitchell overdrive is perfect at that speed, keeping the car quieter and improving fuel economy.
I have not noticed any difference in ride performance due to the increased weight (100 lbs?) of the overdrive transaxle, but perhaps that is because I have a heavy Fordor sedan.

For me, adding the Mitchell overdrive made my car much more enjoyable to drive, at all speeds.
Pat Martone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:31 AM   #40
miss victoria

best part of the f150 tranny is full syncromesh all 4 gears,
miss victoria is offline   Reply With Quote