Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-12-2020, 12:14 AM   #1
Kaf

Default engine number location

Hi guys I need some help.
I have a 1954 Ford truck made in Canada delivered to Australia the same year. It is fitted with a Flathead V8. Stamped on the head is B 8RT. Any information as to an engine and chassis number location would be greatly appreciated.
Many Thanks
KAF
Kaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 01:21 AM   #2
Mr 42

Default Re: engine number location

8RT stands for 8BA Regular Truck, so it's the truck version of the 8BA passenger car engine. The ones i have seen have had hardened exhaust valveseats.

Chassis number is on the left frame in front of the firewall
Mr 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 08:30 AM   #3
Dave Slater

The chassis number is located on the left hand side of the frame in front of the firewall on a Left Hand Drive vehicle whilst the chassis/engine number is located on the right hand side of the frame on a Right Hand Drive vehicle very close to where the steering box is mounted. There are a FEW RARE cases where I have seen it on the left hand side on Australian delivered vehicles. The engine number was duplicated on the chassis rail, however it’s pretty rare nowadays to find matching numbers due to engine swaps. Hope that helps. Dave
Dave Slater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 11:41 AM   #4
blucar

I think it is common knowledge that Ford did not use engine numbers on their engines. The serial number was generally stamped on the transmission when the trans was mated to the engine, the serial number on the trans was stamped into the frame when the engine was in the chassis.
Old 08-12-2020, 12:49 PM   #5
rotorwrench

The process changed in 1949 for Ford USA. Transmissions were no longer stamped. Frames were stamped and in some cases there were tags attached with the VIN stamped on depending on year. Canada did things differently than Ford USA but they did tend to follow the same or similar directives. They generally had their own numbering system. 1954 was the last year for flatheads in Canada. Not all Canadian vehicles were so equipped but trucks were. There were still truck operations at Windsor but Oakville truck plant was comming on line too and I think they started a different numbering system in there somewhere. This is a good link for Canadian numbers.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...fo-thread.html

The VIN plate would be on the left front door frame but may be on the right if it has right hand drive. The stamping on the frame could be on left or right frame rail either close to the cross member or near the shock mounts.

What size truck is it?
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 05:17 PM   #6
Kaf

Many thanks Dave I'll have a look
Old 08-12-2020, 05:17 PM   #7
Kaf

Thanks Bill
Old 08-12-2020, 05:18 PM   #8
Kaf

Thanks to all for your help
Old 08-12-2020, 05:35 PM   #9
Kaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
The process changed in 1949 for Ford USA. Transmissions were no longer stamped. Frames were stamped and in some cases there were tags attached with the VIN stamped on depending on year. Canada did things differently than Ford USA but they did tend to follow the same or similar directives. They generally had their own numbering system. 1954 was the last year for flatheads in Canada. Not all Canadian vehicles were so equipped but trucks were. There were still truck operations at Windsor but Oakville truck plant was comming on line too and I think they started a different numbering system in there somewhere. This is a good link for Canadian numbers.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...fo-thread.html

The VIN plate would be on the left front door frame but may be on the right if it has right hand drive. The stamping on the frame could be on left or right frame rail either close to the cross member or near the shock mounts.

What size truck is it?
Not sure 134" wheelbase gross vehicle weight 11000 lbs
Old 08-12-2020, 06:36 PM   #10
rotorwrench

In the USA it would have been an F500 and in 1954 it should have been in Canada as well but you never know about export models. They had Fords mixed with Mercurys in Canada.
Old 08-12-2020, 07:28 PM   #11
paul2748

*I don't know about flatheads, but the Canadian YBlocks were stamped with a number. I don't know when this started, maybe sooner that 55, and how long it may have lasted..
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 10:34 AM   #12
rotorwrench

The 1954 Mercury and Monarch cars had the 256 Y-block even in Canada. I think the Mercury car line was still being partially produced across the Detroit river at Dearborn in that time frame. Monarch cars were completed in the Windsor plant for the Canadian production but the two basic car types are the same with all the chrome & trim removed.

The Mercury Meteor (redressed Ford Customline) still had the flathead 239 cid engines and these were produced in Canada along with all the lighter Ford & Mercury trucks. The large Ford & Mercury trucks or Big Jobs (F700/F800) had the big truck Y-blocks.

Canada did mark their engine from reports I've read but that would be the ones produced at Windsor.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 08-13-2020 at 12:00 PM.
Old 08-14-2020, 04:57 AM   #13
Twinspinner

The engine number on the Canadian C8BA series blocks used in Australia was stamped on the right rear of the intake surface above no. 4 cylinder.

An example would be *1Bnnnnn* (* is an asterisk & n is the number allocated)
e.g. *1B34567*, this would be for a 1951 Custom V8 sedan or utility.

I have seen the chassis number on either chassis rail usually near the steering box or the opposite side.

Hope this helps, cheers Neil.
Twinspinner is offline   Reply With Quote