Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-10-2015, 04:31 AM   #1
eystein

Default Cabriolet plating

What is the correct finish for the special plated parts for the 30-31 Cabriolet.

I believe that the folding irons should be nickel, while all the other special parts (door window frames, door window runs, windshield frame, triple hinges, top hold down brackets, door locks) should be chrome.

Am I right ?

Appreciate a quick answer for the door window frames and runs, as I am going to the plater with those parts today
eystein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 05:52 AM   #2
Kevin in NJ

Default Re: Cabriolet plating

Generally the inside parts are polished dull nickel. Outside parts are chrome.

So all the top part such as triple hinges and upper landau brackets are nickel plated. They were mostly covered so you need to make the plater understand they are NOT to make it all polished and pretty. Only a little area that was exposed and even that was not as pretty as they are going to make it. Ford did only a minor polish and left most of it just plated cast. This is important as they will grind the crap out of your parts and make them unusable if you are not extremely clear about this.

The landau arms were chromed, but the dull nickel process means the depressions on the back are to be unpolished dull grey.

The windshield slides are chrome to match the windshield which is different from all the other cars.

This is all clearly spelled out in the JS.

I would be very clear to the plater about the functional importance of the top part. Pretty is not as important as the parts working together. The head post hold downs must be kept dimensionally the same or they will not fit in the header pan.

So when you talk to the plater ask if they have a dull nickel tank and use that. The nickel will not tarnish as fast and give you the proper look.

Be clear that you want the top irons hand sanded even at great extra cost. Otherwise they will use belt sanders and turn your irons into something like a sword blade.

Did I mention that they MUST understand these part all function and must still function when they are done.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 07:14 AM   #3
eystein

Kevin,

Thanks for your quick reply. Unfortunately, what is missing is the parts where I'm in a hurry, namely :

- 68B DOOR window frames
- 68B DOOR window channels

I have been searching the ModelAHouse Cabriolet message board, but the closest I got was a reply from Marco posted 2/19/2004 on a thread started by you, saying ;

"I don't know the answers with any certainty, but would be surprised if there is any nickel plated Cabriolet only items on the 68-B & C other than the top folding irons and attaching screws."

From this, I was thinking that the DOOR window frames and channels would be chrome
Old 06-10-2015, 07:47 AM   #4
Kevin in NJ

door window frames are chrome.

The 68B's I have seen had the dovetails plated and I do not know if that is correct. The other door parts I can not help you with.

I am just very quick to warn you on how the plater will try to plate things wrong.
Old 06-10-2015, 08:22 AM   #5
Oldbluoval

The window surrounds are chrome
The window slide channels that go in the front of the door are nickel
Oldbluoval is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 09:03 PM   #6
jw hash

I will second Oldbluoval. He is correct
jw hash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 10:00 PM   #7
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

from the RG&JS;
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bows.jpg (20.7 KB, 45 views)
Old 06-11-2015, 10:02 AM   #8
eystein

Thanks,

The excerpt from the JS. that Mike V posted explains the problem - Namely that only a few of the special brightwork items for the cabriolet are actually covered in the JS. It also reminds me of another question I've got :

- What is meant by "Rear top hold down brackets" in the JS. excerpt ? I cannot find this term in the body parts list for cabriolets. I thought top hold down brackets was something only used on phaetons and roadsters.

- Are they referring to the brackets (A-70270/1) that go on the main bow which connect to both the landau irons and the folding irons.
Old 06-11-2015, 12:23 PM   #9
Kevin in NJ

They are covered but you need to look in through the whole book.

Plus I believe some was covered in the paint and finish guide.

I know I went through the JS with a notepad and page by page to find out what was plated what. It is also possible a bit of detail was in the Paint and Finish Guide. The cabriolet details are not in a single place which is think will change in the future.
Old 06-11-2015, 02:09 PM   #10
eystein

So, Kevin, could you say what they mean by "Rear top hold down brackets" on the Cabriolet?
Old 06-11-2015, 05:38 PM   #11
Kevin in NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by eystein View Post
So, Kevin, could you say what they mean by "Rear top hold down brackets" on the Cabriolet?
My guess is the #1 bow upper landau bracket.

It would be plated nickel and it is not otherwise listed.

Otherwise I have no idea.