Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-25-2021, 11:57 PM   #21
Fortunateson

Default Re: So Which Flathead Do I Have?

Well the Jeep engines were Dodge engines simply put into the new stablemate when Chrysler took over Jeep.

The point I’m trying to make, and yes I am VERY aware of the fact that the blocks between Ford and Merc were identical, is why would Ford cast into the newer blocks 8BA and 8CM and then “poof” stop the practise? If it was mere financial considerations why bother in the first place?
Fortunateson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 12:43 AM   #22
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortunateson View Post
Well the Jeep engines were Dodge engines simply put into the new stablemate when Chrysler took over Jeep.

The point I’m trying to make is why would Ford cast into the newer blocks 8BA and 8CM and then “poof” stop the practise?

The simple answer probably goes as follows. Once everyone knows the pictured item is a banana.....and ONLY a banana..... it probably becomes a waste of time, money and effort to continue labeling it SPECIFICALLY as a banana.

Can you show us a picture of a BLOCK with "8CM" cast into a surface?

I'm also curious to know if you realize the block in picture below has a "C" in front of the "8BA"? Do you know the difference between "8BA" and "C8BA" blocks?
DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 10-26-2021, 02:01 AM   #23
Fortunateson

Gee I wonder if it has anything to do with it being CANADIAN? LOL As far as the 8CM block goes I’ve never seen one, just going from internet info.

But it’s looking like NOBODY can give a definitive answer as to why they would stop casting with the engine ID so I’m moving on to more important things...

Last edited by Fortunateson; 10-26-2021 at 02:09 AM. Reason: Clarification
Fortunateson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 03:14 AM   #24
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortunateson View Post
Gee I wonder if it has anything to do with it being CANADIAN? LOL As far as the 8CM block goes I’ve never seen one, just going from internet info.

But it’s looking like NOBODY can give a definitive answer as to why they would stop casting with the engine ID so I’m moving on to more important things...
Yes, the "C" does mean Canadian. Do you know the difference between "8BA" and "C8BA" blocks....the REASON for marking the two blocks differently?

I've never seen "8CM" cast on a block either, and likely never will, because THEY ARE SAME as "8BA".

You have to remember that auto manufacturers never numbered parts so that future collectors had stuff to talk about. They only marked or ID'd parts so as to aid in making assembly line production go as smoothly as possible. Once it became a fact that there was ONLY one cylinder block casting available to assemble Ford or Merc engines, there was no longer a need to confuse matters with two different numbers for the SAME block. Hence, my earlier reference to the banana. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 06:25 AM   #25
Bored&Stroked

I think we've all beat the 8BA horse enough. From my perspective, until somebody shows as a 49-53 '8CM' block, I won't believe there is one . . . and I'm surely not worried about it anyway.

Now back to some productive work (on my side!) - like drinking more coffee. LOL
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote