Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-17-2021, 03:24 PM   #1
Seattledavid

Default Turn signal issue

I have a VSM 900 installed on my Model T which is 12 volts and I keep blowing fuses and flasher units. I’ve checked the wiring and nothing is grounding out. I have T on the flasher going to hot. L on the flasher going to the yellow wire and P on the flasher going to the blue wire. Gray and black wires are going to two bulbs as left and right turn signals. Green and red wires are not used because I don’t have turn signals in the front. Grey/black wire is also not used because I’m not going thru the stop light switch.

Any idea what is causing fuses to blow and flasher units to burn out?? It doesn’t blow out right away either. They will work for about 15 minutes and then blow out.
Seattledavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 09:43 AM   #2
Will N

Default Re: Turn signal issue

What are you connecting the hot wire to? What's the source of the power?
Will N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 09:23 PM   #3
redmodelt

Don't know how to help except a suggestion or two. Look on line for that model number, there are a lot of diagrams there to make sure you are wiring correct if you don't have a diagram. If you are not using the brake and don't have 4 way, why not get a simpler model that just does turns. Could be not enough load and the unit is hiper flashing or the switch is not grounded to were it is mounted. Or just could be a bad switch with internal short?
Old 06-22-2021, 04:58 PM   #4
39portlander

David look @ the logo lights option, there controller and lights work on 6-8 or 12Volts pos or neg ground.

The instructions are excellent and these light will get the texters attention as they are nice and bright.

Again with out manufactures wiring diagram its hard to really trouble shoot. A dead short somewhere to ground possibly through another hot lighting wire

If the wires somewhere are old with lots of corrosion could build up high resistance and pop. Larger primary wire is always a good thing. Remember the Monster cable we used to use for speaker wire, same idea it's all about the flow.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.
39portlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 02:42 PM   #5
rotorwrench

I don't know if you have the instructions or not so I'll include a link.
https://www.truckspring.com/installa...sm/vsm-920.pdf

One model includes the brake lights and the others don't. The correct bulbs and flasher have to be used for the voltage applied. The strap for the switch head has to be well grounded to the frame ground of the car for it and all related components. If there are any bare wires anywhere in the system whether internal to the switch head or external to the bulbs & power source, there will be a short to ground. Follow the instructions for the unit at hand and insure all connections and conductors are in good condition.

Burned fuses are a sign of a direct short to ground in most cases. High resistance levels due to loose wiring connections will cause heat near the area where the resistance is high. The turn signal flasher switch or signal stat works off heat for it to break the circuit and cause the flash. If there are LED type lights in the system it can cause a problem where the signal stat won't function properly. Using only two bulbs instead of all four may not give enough electrical load for the system so keep that in mind too.
rotorwrench is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 06:39 PM   #6
39portlander

Hello David.....how you making out with your turn signals and wiring problem?

Hope you figure things out, got another 50 miles in today...boy it is nice not having to use hand signals
39portlander is offline   Reply With Quote