Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-28-2021, 09:57 PM   #1
drolston

Default Oil and Temp Sensors

With ignition switch on and engine not running on an 80 degree day, the temp gauge indicated up well past the lowest mark, like 120 degrees. The oil gauge read about 10 psi. I thought maybe the high readings were somehow related but the only thing in common is the output from the voltage reducer, which was steady at 6 volts. Both sensors were reproductions.

Bought a very expensive original temp sensor, but it was open circuit. Bought another one of the reproduction types and that fixed the high temp reading.

Could not find a good original 50# oil sensor, so I put in another reproduction. That fixed the oil pressure indication; it now indicates below the bottom mark with the ignition on and the engine off.

Just thought I should report that if you get a reproduction temp or oil sensor test it before you install (hook up the wire, ground the sensor, turn the ignition switch on). If it does not give a good zero, trade it in until you get a good one.

Tip: After I installed the engine, I raised the oil pressure sensor on a 4" threaded brass nipple, so replacing the oilnsensor does not require removing the floor board and major contortion.
drolston is offline   Reply With Quote