Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-22-2016, 01:00 AM   #1
JohninKuranda

Default Tips and tricks fitting Steering light switch retainer?

Are there any tips and tricks to installing the Steering Light Switch Spider Retainer? I am already using the light switch spider tool and have a board across the horn button. Suffice to say I have large hands which makes things a tad difficult. Further, I get claustrophobic being under the car - and this includes trying to fit the retainer - any more than a few minutes and I am retching. In all of this I am assuming that from underneath is the way to fit the retainer. Any tips, tricks, shortcuts etc gratefully appreciated. I feel like such a wuss - but that is the way it is.

Thanks
John
JohninKuranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 01:16 AM   #2
daveymc29

Default Re: Tips and tricks fitting Steering light switch retainer?

I do it from above. Made my own tool out of 1/2 inch sprinkler pipe and a "T" fitting so I can apply pressure. I use a magnet to hold the "U" clip if I drop it more than a couple of time. Budgie cord over the light switch at the steering wheel. I try for a minute or two and if it isn;t in I come back to it in a half hour or so. Not my favorite chore either, but usually get it on the first or second try now. Have spent an hour or more to accomplish the same thing, so I mad myself a tool.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 02:07 AM   #3
JohninKuranda

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveymc29 View Post
I do it from above. Made my own tool out of 1/2 inch sprinkler pipe and a "T" fitting so I can apply pressure. I use a magnet to hold the "U" clip if I drop it more than a couple of time. Budgie cord over the light switch at the steering wheel. I try for a minute or two and if it isn;t in I come back to it in a half hour or so. Not my favorite chore either, but usually get it on the first or second try now. Have spent an hour or more to accomplish the same thing, so I mad myself a tool.
Had to do a Google search for Budgie Cord - we us the term Octopus Strap!
JohninKuranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 06:23 AM   #4
Tom Wesenberg

You just bet the neighborhood teenager a dollar that he can't push a small spring and slip a C clip onto the shaft. You'll get the job done cheap, or you'll make money.

Actually I do it the same way daveymc29 does.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 06:25 AM   #5
29spcoupe

I do it from above. Tape the light switch to the steering wheel, hold the small clip with a small clamp (hemostat or Kelly clamp), push up on the spider and insert the small clip.
29spcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 08:27 AM   #6
Steve Plucker
BANNED

A thin flexible wood slat works to...Slat on top of the horn button, then slip the slat under the steering wheel to hold the steering light switch/horn rod down...works every time.

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 08:53 AM   #7
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1930 coupe View Post
Some of the reproduction clips do not fit properly on the rod or spider. Check the fit of the clip on the rod and spider without the spring and adjust where necessary with a file, then it will go on much easier.
Yep, I found that out some years ago when I helped a guy with his repro parts. Also if the C clip is punched from a metal sheet, then it will have a sharp edge on one side, and a slightly rounded edge on the other side. I always put the sharp edge against the end of the rod, so the spring pressure is pushing the sharp edge against the rod. It locks better than a rounded edge.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 09:59 AM   #8
Marshall V. Daut

Also, it helps if you turn the light switch rod so that the spider's two arms are at the 3:00 and 9:00 positions instead of 6:00 and 12:00. You can see what you are doing easier between the arms. Once the retainer is in place, rotate the switch back to the initial position and you can slip the light switch bail into place. Ensure that the two slots inside the bail are also at the 6:00 and 12:00 positions to match the spider's arms. Sometimes the arms on repo spiders need to be shaved along the sides a little bit to fit inside these slots. Test fit before installing the spider on the light switch rod.
As others have said, the repo parts don't always fit right out of the box/plastic wrapper, especially the half-moon retainer clip. You usually have to take a rat tail file and open up the inside of the horseshoe so that it will slide over the light switch rod. The new rods seem to be a little thicker than the originals, so if you are using both a new rod and clip, this step is absolutely necessary. If the rod is already in the steering column, you can test fit the clip by sliding it over the groove WITHOUT the spring and retainer. If the clip slips over the rod, you're o.k. If not, rat tail file the opening larger until the clip will fit.
Also, you may to have file or grind the outside of that retaining clip near the tips so that it will fit inside the indentation inside the spider. This, too, can be checked and corrected before frustrations sets in during assembly. Simply lay the clip inside the spider in your hand and ensure that it lays completely inside the depression ring and lays flat. I usually have to grind the outer ends to make the clip thinner here. Then it lays in nicely.
The final thing to check is the spring itself. Some are too long or the tension is too much to compress in order for the spider to be put into place. That not only makes the procedure more complicated and frustrating, but it also results in a hard turning light switch at the steering wheel. I have had to cut a loop or two off the repo spring so that it would allow itself to be compressed enough for the spider. You don't need valve spring tension to hold this spring in place. The lighter the spring's tension, the easier the switch can be turned. If you find that you cannot compress the spring enough to start the horseshoe clip into the rod's groove, try cutting a loop or two from the spring.
There is just no bottom to how far repo parts will fall in terms of quality. Pre-fit EVERY repo part to reduce chances of assembly failure! For some reason, all of the repo light switch parts seem to have fit and quality issues that we need to correct prior to final assembly.
Marshall
Marshall V. Daut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 11:15 AM   #9
CarlG

I kept loosing the little "C" clip. Spending what seemed like hours looking for it. Solution to that was to buy a half dozen of them on my next parts order. I still have all 6 of them. Haven't lost one since then.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 12:03 PM   #10
burner31

I have found that some of the new spider gears do not fit properly over the shaft, and if you force them they will break very easily, fit the spider before you put it all together, just have to use a very small flat file to get the ID of the spider just right.
Unless you have a handful of spider gears on hand.
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 12:27 PM   #11
katy

Quote:
Had to do a Google search for Budgie Cord - we us the term Octopus Strap!
I've always heard them called bungee cords.
Old 01-22-2016, 09:23 PM   #12
larrys40

To hold down the light rod to the steering wheel you can use a yard stick weaving it in from the passenger side under the steering wheel and over the horn button and then back under the steering wheel on drivers side

I agree with Marshall it help to orient to 6 and 12 and install keeper
I just use my fingers ...
Larry Shepard
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 09:46 PM   #13
Larry Jenkins
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall V. Daut View Post
Also, it helps if you turn the light switch rod so that the spider's two arms are at the 3:00 and 9:00 positions instead of 6:00 and 12:00. You can see what you are doing easier between the arms. Once the retainer is in place, rotate the switch back to the initial position and you can slip the light switch bail into place. Ensure that the two slots inside the bail are also at the 6:00 and 12:00 positions to match the spider's arms. Sometimes the arms on repo spiders need to be shaved along the sides a little bit to fit inside these slots. Test fit before installing the spider on the light switch rod.
As others have said, the repo parts don't always fit right out of the box/plastic wrapper, especially the half-moon retainer clip. You usually have to take a rat tail file and open up the inside of the horseshoe so that it will slide over the light switch rod. The new rods seem to be a little thicker than the originals, so if you are using both a new rod and clip, this step is absolutely necessary. If the rod is already in the steering column, you can test fit the clip by sliding it over the groove WITHOUT the spring and retainer. If the clip slips over the rod, you're o.k. If not, rat tail file the opening larger until the clip will fit.
Also, you may to have file or grind the outside of that retaining clip near the tips so that it will fit inside the indentation inside the spider. This, too, can be checked and corrected before frustrations sets in during assembly. Simply lay the clip inside the spider in your hand and ensure that it lays completely inside the depression ring and lays flat. I usually have to grind the outer ends to make the clip thinner here. Then it lays in nicely.
The final thing to check is the spring itself. Some are too long or the tension is too much to compress in order for the spider to be put into place. That not only makes the procedure more complicated and frustrating, but it also results in a hard turning light switch at the steering wheel. I have had to cut a loop or two off the repo spring so that it would allow itself to be compressed enough for the spider. You don't need valve spring tension to hold this spring in place. The lighter the spring's tension, the easier the switch can be turned. If you find that you cannot compress the spring enough to start the horseshoe clip into the rod's groove, try cutting a loop or two from the spring.
There is just no bottom to how far repo parts will fall in terms of quality. Pre-fit EVERY repo part to reduce chances of assembly failure! For some reason, all of the repo light switch parts seem to have fit and quality issues that we need to correct prior to final assembly.
Marshall
Well Marshall..

You can always take the trip back to Shellsburg and help ole Dad with his..

Larry
Old 01-22-2016, 10:48 PM   #14
Fred K-OR

I cheated! I had the whole steering column out of the rig when I rebuilt it.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 11:25 PM   #15
daveymc29

Sorry on the Octopus strap, we call it a ?bungie cord," if and when we type correctly. Sometimes my brain can't keep up with my fingers, it has been a lifelong problem, age hasn't cured that one yet.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote