Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-16-2016, 01:08 AM   #1
JohninKuranda

Default Clutch query

Hi,
Just got towed home the last 500 metres. Clutch issues. Yesterday I had the car with a mechanic and he mentioned he tidied a few things up. I should have asked what he had done but it was wet and windy and I just wanted to get home. I suspect he may have fiddled with the clutch adjusting arm; the was no free-play when I got the inspection plate off just now. There are two photos attached of the view in the inspection area with the clutch at rest and fully depressed. It appears that there is only 4mm of movement. How much movement should there be?

Just before I rolled to a stop I had no power in 2nd or 3rd and minimal movement in 1st. Reverse seemed to be working a little. Clutch burning smell though not great and quickly disappeared.

Any thoughts on what I need to do next?

Cheers
John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2478.jpg (44.6 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2480.jpg (46.5 KB, 92 views)
JohninKuranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 03:54 AM   #2
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: Clutch query

You need to adjust the rod on the clutch pedal so you have about 1" of freeplay at the pedal.
Hopefully you haven't damaged the clutch.
Did this just start after someone messed with it? Or did it happen while driving?
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 04:49 AM   #3
JohninKuranda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
You need to adjust the rod on the clutch pedal so you have about 1" of freeplay at the pedal.
Hopefully you haven't damaged the clutch.
Did this just start after someone messed with it? Or did it happen while driving?
Tom
I drove 12 kilometres home last evening from the mechanics garage - noticed nothing amiss - I went slower than I would normally as it was windy, wet and foggy. This morning the car drove fine for a few minutes (about 2 kilometres or so) and then I noticed the smell, the slipping etc. Turned around and almost made it home before a steep hill on a curve stymied my efforts.
Cheers
John
JohninKuranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 05:22 AM   #4
kwisor

ck the clutch arm it may have cracked that just happened to me if it cracked peddle feels soft and no clutch
kevin
1930 tudor
kwisor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 05:46 AM   #5
Patrick L.

Did you notice a lack of pedal free-play as soon as the mechanic was through with it ? It sounds as though the clutch has been 'adjusted' so it is partially disengaged. No free-play at all.
Hopefully an adjustment to allow the proper free-play as Tom mentioned will correct the problem.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 09:09 AM   #6
Tom Wesenberg

Don't drive the car until you put 1" of freeplay back in the pedal, or you will be in for a lot of work to change the clutch. Multiplate clutches aren't all that easy to come by.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 11:44 AM   #7
Glenn C.

While you have her opened up, you might consider shooting into the clutch with a couple of cans of Brake Clean, while someone rotates the engine with the crank.

Use Caution Here: That Brake Clean stuff is highly carcinogenic, and explosive. Don't breath the vapors. Do it outside and wear a good type of paint mask. Don't use an ordinary dust mask.

Lots of clutch residue will be washed out into your catch pan underneath the car.
Glenn C. is offline   Reply With Quote