Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-21-2016, 06:43 PM   #1
rob63mess

Default Anyone in grand rapids michigan

My cousin found a 28 phaeton posted on hemmings at a place called gr auto gallery. Anyone know anything about them or might want to take a look at the car for me? I'm about 6 hours away and hate to make the trip if the car isn't what it looks like in the photos.
rob63mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 08:01 PM   #2
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.
Default Re: Anyone in grand rapids michigan

unfortunately I am the same distance. I hired someone in Grand Rapids to look at a 28 Chrysler last year. Based on his photos and description I did not buy it. I had to pay the cost to hire him and it was $250 which was money well spent. If you want his name I will supply it but there will be an upfront fee.

Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 08:51 PM   #3
Mark DeRoseau

Yup. Drive buy it everyday. Pm me.
Mark DeRoseau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 09:28 PM   #4
rob63mess

Thanks for the reply Mark. I tried to PM you but your account is set up not to accept PMs. Im worried that the car is a lot rougher than it appears in the photos. The lower cowl sections look like they may have quite a lot of bondo. Also, one of the doors looks to be a different shade than the rest of the car,. As far as the motor, there looks to have been a water leak towards the front of the motor....maybe just a leaky head gasket and not a cracked block. With all that being said, the price probably reflects the condition. If you ever feel inclined to stop and take a peak at iy and give me a little rundown, I would really appreciate it. Im about 6 hours from there and don't want to make the trip unless its to pick up the car. I did talk to a nice guy at GR Auto Gallery, but would really value a fellow barners opinion.
Thanks again
Rob
Old 03-21-2016, 09:41 PM   #5
Steve Sturim

Rob,
Sent you a PM.
Steve Sturim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 10:51 PM   #6
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

its got to be worth a dinner at a nice restaurant for for him and his wife for his trouble as I see it. Wayne
Old 03-22-2016, 08:15 AM   #7
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob63mess View Post
Thanks for the reply Mark. I tried to PM you but your account is set up not to accept PMs. Im worried that the car is a lot rougher than it appears in the photos. The lower cowl sections look like they may have quite a lot of bondo. Also, one of the doors looks to be a different shade than the rest of the car,. As far as the motor, there looks to have been a water leak towards the front of the motor....maybe just a leaky head gasket and not a cracked block. With all that being said, the price probably reflects the condition. If you ever feel inclined to stop and take a peak at iy and give me a little rundown, I would really appreciate it. Im about 6 hours from there and don't want to make the trip unless its to pick up the car. I did talk to a nice guy at GR Auto Gallery, but would really value a fellow barners opinion.
Thanks again
Rob
Rob, IMHO me or anyone else could pick that car apart, -or we could justify why it is what it is, however the bottom line is YOU and your cousin need to go inspect that vehicle yourselves. For example, the Cartouche interior would be an immediate turn-off for me yet might be an acceptable feature for y'all. For me I would take a tow vehicle and the cash and go spend two days looking. Drive up on one day and get there in the afternoon and spend the rest of the day inspecting the car. Go back to the motel where you two can look at pictures and decide what to do. Go back the next morning when they open and look it over again and negotiate. If they accept, load it up and head home. It really is just that simple.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 08:40 AM   #8
Tom Wesenberg

What Brent said about returning the next morning really makes sense. I always like to inspect a car twice, so I don't overlook something, and also so I don't make an impulse buy and get taken.

Two years ago I went to look at my 1950 Studebaker Champion, that was restored 22 years ago. The first night I was turned off by a rusty leaf spring and cracking old lacquer paint. The next morning I realized all the good the car had and knew I could easily double my money if I ever wanted to sell the car. Sure glad I went back and bought it.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 08:43 AM   #9
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Agree ,,look at it yourself.... Whatever it takes to do that
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 09:46 AM   #10
rob63mess

Brent, Mitch and Tom.....Once again you are the voices of reason. I think we'll take the trip up. I think its gonna look pretty rough though. Thanks guys.
Old 03-22-2016, 10:48 AM   #11
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob63mess View Post
Brent, Mitch and Tom.....Once again you are the voices of reason. I think we'll take the trip up. I think its gonna look pretty rough though. Thanks guys.

Case closed with sound logic! Wayne
Old 03-22-2016, 08:14 PM   #12
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by forever4 View Post
Or drive all day, inspect it in the late afternoon/evening, buy it, and then inspect it better the next day in the daylight!

click> http://www.fordgarage.com/pages/vincesmodelb.htm
Why inspect it better next day after you bought it. I would say inspect it next day and then decide if you want to buy it, no sense inspecting better next day if you already bought it ??? Wayne