Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-20-2016, 12:40 AM   #1
JohninKuranda

Default Clutch problem

Today was to be the day when I finally took the restoration project out of the garage up the driveway and back down. No such luck! When the engine is not running I am able to clutch and shift into all four gears. When I start the car, I am unable to shift into any gear, 1,2,3,or Reverse. If if try, I just get the gears starting to grate on all four gears.

According to my father, this car has a multi-plate clutch? (what ever that is) and I should just keep on exercising my left leg and continually change gears when not running in the hope something will occur.

I should add that this would have been the first time in 8 plus years that the car has gone anywhere under its own power.

Is anyone able to clarify what may be happening and the novice mechanics way to fix same?

Thanks
John

Last edited by JohninKuranda; 02-20-2016 at 01:13 AM. Reason: More info
JohninKuranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 01:10 AM   #2
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: Clutch problem

Shift into the gear you want, then start the engine while holding the clutch pedal down. Back out of the garage, turn off the engine, shift into first, and start the engine while holding the clutch pedal down, then drive away, Once moving you should be able to push the clutch pedal down and shift to second at about 5 MPH. Do the same for third at about 15 MPH.

If you drive a few miles and park it at home, then try starting the engine and shifting to first the normal way. If it doesn't work, then the clutch is out of adjustment or needs to be repaired. If the flywheel is badly notched, the clutch discs can bind.

Remember, you have to wait for the moving parts to stop moving when you push the clutch down, which can take 5 to 10 seconds, then try shifting from neutral.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 01:14 AM   #3
JohninKuranda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
Shift into the gear you want, then start the engine while holding the clutch pedal down. Back out of the garage, turn off the engine, shift into first, and start the engine while holding the clutch pedal down, then drive away, Once moving you should be able to push the clutch pedal down and shift to second at about 5 MPH. Do the same for third at about 15 MPH.

If you drive a few miles and park it at home, then try starting the engine and shifting to first the normal way. If it doesn't work, then the clutch is out of adjustment or needs to be repaired. If the flywheel is badly notched, the clutch discs can bind.

Remember, you have to wait for the moving parts to stop moving when you push the clutch down, which can take 5 to 10 seconds, then try shifting from neutral.
Thanks Tom - will try that out tomorrow - all "car'd" out at the moment.
JohninKuranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 08:23 AM   #4
Patrick L.

If you decide to drive the car to try and free up the clutch, then I would recommend pushing it out of the garage and pointing in a direction that has nothing in front of it [including people] before starting the engine, just in case.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 09:02 AM   #5
Pinesdune

One point, you didn't say that if its in gear, then you start/turn the engine, with the clutch depressed, whether or not the car moves! The clutch can rust internally from sitting, this can happen as Tom said where the clutch pac tabs won't be able to move freely in the flywheel groves that will cause your problem, but, the clutch disc inside the clutch pac can rust together and become one , causing the same condition you describe. Please push it outside before you start it for the chance it's pac seized up. If it is the pac, Toms remedy still works, but keep your foot on the clutch and "time" your shifts then drive it till it frees up, it could be quite a few miles tho.

Looking for the front bumper emblem that has "Ford, Made In Canada"
Pinesdune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 10:47 AM   #6
Jacksonlll

Send a message via ICQ to Jacksonlll

With the engine off, put it in third, push the clutch in, and have someone push your car really hard. That should free up the stuck disks.
Jacksonlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 10:49 AM   #7
cp5491r

Is your idle just too fast? After starting, are you pushing the throttle lever up all the way on the steering column? It won't shift if you're idling fast. Sorry if you already know/tried this.
cp5491r is offline   Reply With Quote