Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-06-2015, 01:43 AM   #1
JohninKuranda

Default "Snug" light switch?

Just wondering how “snug” the upper half of the light switch body when it fits into the steering column base. What I have probably will fit with a little pressure but really don’t want to force it if it should not be forced. I have previously degreased the end of the steering column and noticed some apparent pitting. Attacked that with a small wire brush and have got the inside much smoother but still very very tight.

The switch I have is a reproduction; yes I know all that is said about the bad fit of these – but where I live in Australia I don’t have much of an option. (Still searching for an original overseas but the freight/postage is a killer!)
JohninKuranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 02:55 AM   #2
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida
Default Re: "Snug" light switch?

Snug is good, like you said, " I know all that is said about the bad fit of these".
Old 12-06-2015, 04:26 AM   #3
Tom Wesenberg

I would open it up slightly with a drill bit. After all you don't want to turn the lights on or off each time you turn the steering wheel. Also you need room for the thin bushing on the upper end of the steering column.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 06:37 AM   #4
cradlescyth

I searched google and found a couple of videos on the subject.

One dealed with your problem.

Give it a try.
cradlescyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 11:08 AM   #5
ericr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
I would open it up slightly with a drill bit. After all you don't want to turn the lights on or off each time you turn the steering wheel. Also you need room for the thin bushing on the upper end of the steering column.
I'm not sure this was his problem, I read it to mean he is having to force the repro upper half into the steering column bracket at the same of the column. Wouldn't he simply file the little protrusion on the switch body to better fit into the notch that centers it?
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 11:25 AM   #6
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninKuranda View Post
Just wondering how “snug” the upper half of the light switch body when it fits into the steering column base. What I have probably will fit with a little pressure but really don’t want to force it if it should not be forced. I have previously degreased the end of the steering column and noticed some apparent pitting. Attacked that with a small wire brush and have got the inside much smoother but still very very tight.

The switch I have is a reproduction; yes I know all that is said about the bad fit of these – but where I live in Australia I don’t have much of an option. (Still searching for an original overseas but the freight/postage is a killer!)
the repos need to be sanded near the top, i use reg 80 grit by hand. make sure the bushing is also in place at the top of the collumn. once installed the rod should spin freely with no drag. if it doesnt sand some more or the lights will go on when turning the wheel
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote