Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-06-2021, 08:12 AM   #1
fast fredy

Default slow heater motor

Good morning , have a question regarding my fan blower. I had it apart because it appeared seized . It works but it does'nt seem fast enough. If I connect it directly to the battery it runs faster, more like I think it should. The 2 speed switch works fine and I cant see what the difference should be going through the switch or connected direct . The wires from the switch are original and must be the proper size ... any thoughts? thanks Fred
fast fredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 09:31 AM   #2
big job

Default Re: slow heater motor

By now thats common. Mainly bronze bushings worn armature excessive end play dirty stuck brushes . Like mine it groans & squeals until it warms up, my cat blows warmer air so I know its time may as well get a new one. Electric motor shops all gone thanks to this throw away society.
big job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 12:09 PM   #3
5851a

Direct from the battery is a lot shorter path than through wiring harness and connections at an ignition switch and blower switch. May have worked fine when all was new bright and shiny. Does it speed up when installed with the car running? Someone didn't replace it with a 56 blower did they? I seem to remember seeing blowers with 6V or 12V stamped in the case, but may have been replacements.

Last edited by 5851a; 01-06-2021 at 12:16 PM. Reason: additional info
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 04:52 PM   #4
fast fredy

I didn't try it with the motor running , will do that thanks
fast fredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 06:47 PM   #5
delco1946

I have a similar problem, but i've taken my motor apart and cleaned and lubed it, and the wires to the heater controls and under dash area are in decent/good shape. Everything works, its just not terribly "forceful".

I've just been living with it, but i've never thought to check for a 6V/12V stamp.
delco1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 09:17 PM   #6
miker98038

Could be a number of things as mentioned above. Something you might try.

Check the voltage across the battery, down to a tenth of a volt. Check the voltage at the blower wire, disconnected. Check the voltage on both the blower case (ground side) etc.

Then hook it up and turn it on, and check the voltage again, down to a tenth of a volt.

What you're looking for is either voltage loss thru the switches on the hot side, or poor grounding at the blower motor case. It won't take much loss to slow the motor down. Many times you'll find full voltage with no load, but under load it shows up.

I don't think I've said this as clearly as could be done, but hope it makes sense.
miker98038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 10:13 PM   #7
rhflintstone

check it like a starter, basically a voltage drop test, put a volt meter on it, check for drop of voltage, i would start at the switch, sometimes dirty fuses, not to mention the normal ground losses, those 6 volt ones put out some air with 12 volts on them.
rhflintstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 10:22 PM   #8
Anteek29

Quote:
Originally Posted by delco1946 View Post
I have a similar problem, but i've taken my motor apart and cleaned and lubed it, and the wires to the heater controls and under dash area are in decent/good shape. Everything works, its just not terribly "forceful".

I've just been living with it, but i've never thought to check for a 6V/12V stamp.

Did you have difficulty removing the squirrel cage from the shaft? Mine seems rusted fast. Yes, I did undo the Allen screw!
1955 Victoria
Anteek29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 11:18 AM   #9
Hot Rod Reverend

Quote:
Originally Posted by miker98038 View Post
Could be a number of things as mentioned above. Something you might try.

...poor grounding at the blower motor case. It won't take much loss to slow the motor down. Many times you'll find full voltage with no load, but under load it shows up.
the grounding issue can fool you - over time things rust up and do not ground as well. Add to that the times that people have repainted and the ground can be very poor. Test this by installing the blower motor and wiring as it should be but then connect a jumper wire from battery ground to a good ground on the blower motor case/housing and see what you get.
Old 02-09-2021, 01:21 PM   #10
evintho

Cool Re: slow heater motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anteek29 View Post
Did you have difficulty removing the squirrel cage from the shaft? Mine seems rusted fast. Yes, I did undo the Allen screw!
Mine wouldn't budge either and believe me, I tried everything! I finally just cut the shaft in half and removed it that way. I'm gonna get a new motor anyway. Not much help, I know.
evintho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 09:03 PM   #11
JimNNN

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast fredy View Post
The 2 speed switch works fine and I cant see what the difference should be going through the switch or connected direct .

This person didn't say whether it was six or twelve volt, as far as I could see. I should mention, if replacing the motor is the chosen course of action, I could find no 2 speed replacement motors for my 6 volt system during my complete rewire project a couple of years ago, and I searched far and wide. I ended up using a new single speed motor, though I kept the original two speed switch in place.

Things may have changed in the last couple of years, though. If anyone has a source for a six volt 2 speed heater motor that will fit Fords, let us know...and post a link!
JimNNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 08:31 AM   #12
bobss396

I lucked out with mine. I dropped the entire heater box. Pressure tested the heater core which looked brand new since it was inside the box. The blower motor was accessible from under the hood. That was amazingly clean and spun like a new one. Both speeds work and it is as quiet as they were in 1959.

WW Grainger carries 12v blower motors, not sure if they have 6v stock. They have a 12v that I could use if I needed one.
bobss396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 10:20 PM   #13
dmsfrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast fredy View Post
. . . It works but it does'nt seem fast enough. If I connect it directly to the battery it runs faster, more like I think it should. The 2 speed switch works fine and I cant see what the difference should be going through the switch or connected direct . . .
Every connection or set of contacts in the wiring has the potential for corrosion or a poor connection. Each one can add a slight amount of resistance that adds in with the others and limits the voltage & current available to run the motor.

Don't forget to check the fan motor Ground wire or its mounting bolts to the body and body / engine connections to the large battery ground cable.

Last edited by dmsfrr; 02-10-2021 at 10:29 PM.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote