Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-11-2019, 03:30 PM   #1
JR48

Default Adapting a LHD Columbia valve control to RHD

I'm putting a Columbia 2-Speed under my 34 Cabriolet, and I have purchased all the parts from John Connolly. However, the control valve that sits in front of the clutch pedal is specifically LHD and bolts on to the back of the gearbox. Has anyone adapted or made a conversion plate so this unit can be mounted in front of the clutch pedal on the Right hand Drivers side? I'm asking this question before I begin the process of trial and error to try and fabricate this plate. I'm sure that this can't be the first time that this has happened! I look forward to reading any suggestions.
JR48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 03:36 PM   #2
Phil Gillespie

Default Re: Adapting a LHD Columbia valve control to RHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR48 View Post
I'm putting a Columbia 2-Speed under my 34 Cabriolet, and I have purchased all the parts from John Connolly. However, the control valve that sits in front of the clutch pedal is specifically LHD and bolts on to the back of the gearbox. Has anyone adapted or made a conversion plate so this unit can be mounted in front of the clutch pedal on the Right hand Drivers side? I'm asking this question before I begin the process of trial and error to try and fabricate this plate. I'm sure that this can't be the first time that this has happened! I look forward to reading any suggestions.

Perhaps contact "Flathead Ted" Ted Spain, he is on this site and in Auckland I'm sure he will be able to sort you out.
Phil NZ
Phil Gillespie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 04:03 AM   #3
Karl

I looked at doing the same myself and the advice I got from John was that i would not be able to use the clutch control valve as that was exclusively LHD . From what I understand that would mean I would have to manually disengage the Columbia . At this time I sort of lost interest in doing it (the cost was also a factor) Would be interested if you do come up with a solution
I know Brian is installing one on his RHD 35 (I brought the left over bits ) and he may have the answer .

Karl
Old 03-12-2019, 04:55 AM   #4
Brian

Nah, I used the fuel valve as described by GM on here. Rigged up a switch off the clutch pedal, and used an electric speedo gear changer. Works slick; probably better than the original early complicated setup. But my heap isn't 100% original, I don't care. It works, and very well, that's the main thing.
Old 03-13-2019, 12:14 AM   #5
JR48

Hello Brian, Where are you in NZ? I'm tearing my hair out trying to mount the LHD unit so I'm very interested in your solution. My email is [email protected]. I look forwad tom hearing from you. Regards, James
Old 03-13-2019, 05:01 AM   #6
Brian

James, I'm in Masterton. I set mine up using a Pollock fuel valve, an on/momentary on rev polarity switch wired through a brake light style switch hooked up off of the clutch pedal, and an Eaton speedo changer in reverse. Mount the fuel valve as close to the Columbia as possible to achieve instant shifting.
Old 03-13-2019, 10:07 AM   #7
deuce_roadster

I knew someone here would figure it out! There are a lot of smart ingenious folks here!
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 04:47 PM   #8
JR48

Thanks for your help Brian. I'm looking into casting a new body for the valve! I can make a wax blank to the shape I require with the correct mounts, get it cast and then machined. Should not be too hard! I'll let you know how it goes.